Give newborns boiled water?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 longluncher

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

My MIL insists we give our newborn boiled water... I have no breastfeeding issues so no idea why she keeps raising it. Husband thinks we should listen to her but my midwife and clinic sister have both said no. Am I missing something or should I just keep listening to my own instincts and stay on breast milk only?

Sorry for ranting.. Just had a huge fight with husband on this ridiculous point!

#2 Feral_Pooks

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Dear longluncher's DH.

She is right. No water. No!

Love,

Pooks.

#3 Unatheowl

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Yes, for what reason does the newborn need water??

#4 Bex_star

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Trust your instinct. They don't need water as a newborn. My mum tried pushing it with me too. I told her I would ask the dr. I did and he said no. That kept her quiet (for a while). biggrin.gif

Edited by Bex_star, 30 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#5 tick

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yeah .... nah.  Breast milk on demand is all a newborn needs .... if the weather is hot offer the breast more frequently etc.  Water can be introduced down the track at around the time solids are introduced!

#6 Feral-chillibean

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

no
no water required

#7 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

---

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#8 libbylu

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

No water.
If its really hot weather, offer the breast more frequently.

#9 jayskette

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

waters only needed when the baby starts to have teeth...

#10 longluncher

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ahh thank you original.gif

#11 Mischief Managed

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

I wonder if your MIL breastfed her kids?  

My Mum didn't and was all on the "give the baby water" bandwagon too original.gif

Remember you're doing a great job and that your instinct is a massive plus in these situations original.gif

#12 Feral_Pooks

wink.gif first of many, no doubt, OP. you're doing great.

#13 Arthur or Martha

Edited by ambwrose, 07 September 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#14 joshuakalan

No need for this as so much of the breast milk is water anyway. Your MIL is ill informed. Tell your husband you are the mother NOT her.

#15 Funwith3

No, do not give boiled water, especially when you're still trying to establish good breast feeding routines. Interrupting breastfeeding to give water can cause your baby to feel full on water....hence not put on enough weight. It can also decrease your milk supply. You just need to give breast milk alone.

#16 ShopgirlX

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Please don't listen to opinions of family over those of trained professionals (unless somehow your family ARE trained professionals?!).

The answer is absolutely, positively NO.

#17 Shirley Sue

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

As long as you are drinking plenty of water and offering mumma's milk more often in the warm weather there is no need. Are you demand feeding?

Ftr my mil tried to convince me to do the same- must be what they did in "the olden days." I asked my nurse and gp and they both said no too. (I did this more to shut mil up as I was sure I was right  tongue.gif ).

#18 Shirley Sue

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (joshuakalan @ 30/12/2012, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No need for this as so much of the breast milk is water anyway. Your MIL is ill informed. Tell your husband you are the mother NOT her.

cclap.gif

#19 Escapin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Def no water for your LO. But do make sure you drink enough! Breast feeding and hot weather - you can easily get quite dehydrated.

#20 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

No, no and NO.

#21 Lil Chickens

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

It is something older people seem to have a fixation with!  My MIL did too.  She was convinced it fixed wind.  If we left DD with her I swear her eyeballs would be floating when we ot back!

It didn't hurt her but it was unnecessary.

#22 =R2=

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Tell your MIL and DH that your breast milk changes so that it has higher water content when the weather is hot/humid. It becomes thicker/has a higher fat content during colder weather.

#23 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

---

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#24 hm6

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

It's not going to harm her but it's not necessary either. Yes it was popular probably in your MILs day even for mums that fully B/F - not sure how old your MIL is though. I remember with my first a few aunts suggested that I give rosé hip syrup with boiled water - I smiled and then went and did what I felt was best which was NOT to give rosé hip syrup to my 2week old. Perhaps your husband needs to read up to date stuff on breast feeding your baby - and hopefully he'll realise that what was done 20-30years ago isn't necessarily the best for your baby today.

#25 ~faerydust~

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

This might be helpful, ABA's advice on keeping baby cool in hot weather.
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/yo...stfed-baby/cool

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.