Anyone else out there not fond of other cultures cooking?

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#1 OneProudMum

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

We went to a lovely luncheon today at a friend's place which is held every year.
Amongst the food was some Greek and Thai food. I couldn't stomach most of it. I was almost gagging and then it occured to me...
I am such a steak/Parma and 3 veg girl.
There is no way you would see me eating in Chinatown, having yum cha or even trying Mexican.
I just have issues with food from other cultures! It's not from lack of trying!

Anyone else?

Edited by OneProudMum, 30 December 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#2 LambChop

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Nope, love all sorts of food original.gif

#3 ~Nodnol~

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

No way! Too much delicious food out there.

#4 Born Slippy

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

I would flock to the Thai and Greek food. Then I'd eat the vegetables. And if there was nothing else, I would eat a parma or steak.

I adore Mexican food, but much of it is off-limits due to a stomach problem cry1.gif

No issues here with cultural food variety!

Edited by Born Slippy, 30 December 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#5 noonehere

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

nope but DPs best mate is like that though.

#6 PoshMosh

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

You wouldn't happen to be friends with Casime by any chance would you?

#7 i-candi

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Gosh no !!!!!! Love flavours original.gif

#8 bluedragon

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

No, we eat a large variety of food from many cultures regularly. I can understand food issues as I have a few mainly related to texture though not flavours. It's sad that you are missing out on so many taste experiences though, it is one of the most enjoyable things in life I think.

#9 Lokum

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (Flylikeabutterfly @ 31/12/2012, 12:30 AM)
15194493[/url]']

LOL biggrin.gif

#10 Taffyk

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

I have some issues too - I think it's because I wasn't exposed to a range of foods as a child.

I am hopeless with spicy foods but otherwise I try most things once.  Thai is my favourite Asian food, I like Indian (though it's hard to find a decent version here in Australia) and I love the clean lines of Mexican food!

But...  I don't eat lamb, pork, turkey and most seafood.

#11 protart roflcoptor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Sounds like you have a boring and restrictive diet. Your loss.

#12 PigNewton

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Nope, if anything what I don't like is the steak and 3 veg kind of cooking. My parents were always into trying out new foods as soon as they became available so we grew up eating lots of different flavours.
The only thing I never really got into was prawns or shellfish of any kind...maybe because there wasn't the money for it when i was a kid. I'll eat prawns if someone makes them for me but i don't go out of my way for them.
Other than that, anything goes! I tend to lean towards the cultures with clean, spicy flavours, so I love mexican/indian/thai/greek but am not a massive fan of french/hungarian/swiss foods where there is quite a bit of heavy creamy food.

Edited by redkris, 30 December 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#13 CallMeFeral

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, I do, I can't do steak and 3 veg. I don't understand roast meat or vegetables. The only redeeming point to any of the above is the gravy, but that's a pretty sad statement!

I think everyone has their tastes. I love italian food, I love a lot of thai food except when it's overly sweetened, I'm not that into 'normal' chinese food but adore yum cha, not big on the big meat culture foods like some of the greek restaurants... but would kill for their vine leaves and baclava and dips and the rest. I'm not big on curries - especially vegetarian ones - but do occasionally stumble across one I can't stop eating.

I think it's kind of strange for the tastes to be SOLELY based on one's own culture, but I think it's normal for some food to appeal more than others.
I think sometimes it's a mental thing more than an actual taste thing, when only what you've grown up with tastes good. I understand the nostalgia value, but if that overrides tastebuds then I find that odd.

#14 Justaduck

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (Taffyk @ 30/12/2012, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have some issues too - I think it's because I wasn't exposed to a range of foods as a child.

I am hopeless with spicy foods but otherwise I try most things once.  Thai is my favourite Asian food, I like Indian (though it's hard to find a decent version here in Australia) and I love the clean lines of Mexican food!

But...  I don't eat lamb, pork, turkey and most seafood.

This is almost me!!
Love Mexican, Love Italian but not much else. Like a Butter or Tandoori Chicken & Naan but that is it.
Will eat sweet chilli stir fry is that is the only option. Otherwise I will not touch any Asian foods, Turkish foods, lamb, any seafood or turkey. Pig products and egg products both make me physically ill.

I guess I love a tomato based food, not so much spiced based like the others are

#15 Percoriel

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

I like a good medium rare steak with lovely grilled vegetables but I also love Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican (proper Mexican though not a huge fan of tex mex), Greek, Spanish, Italian, French etc etc etc! I just love good food really!

#16 marnie27

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

I love all kinds of food but due to multiple food intollerances I've developed as an adults, steak and veg usually suits me better. It annoys the hell of me, I can only imagine how annoying it is for others attempting to cater for me. And DP is even worse thanks to Crohn's disease.

#17 SeaPrincess

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Flylikeabutterfly @ 30/12/2012, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

biggrin.gif LOL
Despite my best efforts, my children are all meat + 3 veg people.  I don't understand it or want them to be so limited, so once a week we have "new food night".  They have eaten all the new foods so far but they don't want anything again, so it's starting to be hard work for me.

#18 Le-a

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

I don't discriminate. I love all food. If you don't believe me then you should check out the size of my a*se some time.

My all time favorite food in the world is phô. I would swap my left nut for a steaming hot bowl complete with rare beef/beef balls/tripe. Gahhhhhh...

#19 andthethreebears

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

Sorry but what the hell is parma??

Looooove all types of food from a large variety of cultures - the hotter the better  tthumbs.gif

#20 darcswan

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

Another who just loves food original.gif the ol' palate is still extending - I recently discovered the olives I'd been turning my nose up at are actually delicious, salty morsels... Ditto to good anchovies too!

Mmm... Food

#21 Procrastinator5000

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

EAT ALL THE FOODS!

I haven't met a cuisine I didn't enjoy overall, but within those cuisines there are a lot of things that I don't like. I am quite picky with eating strange parts of the animal, and I don't like many kinds of seafood.

I certainly know people like you, OP, you're not alone. If you're trying everything, it's not your fault, you like what you like.

I'm trying to make sure my kids are exposed to a range of flavours and spices while they are young, even if they don't end up enjoying everything.

#22 protart roflcoptor

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (andthethreebears @ 31/12/2012, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry but what the hell is parma??

Looooove all types of food from a large variety of cultures - the hotter the better  tthumbs.gif

Well I don't think she's talking about Parma ham...lol.

Chicken Parmigiana? Probably the frozen cardboard packaged variety, not the authentic Italian version.

#23 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (Flylikeabutterfly @ 30/12/2012, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

roll2.gif

#24 iwanttosleepin

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

nope - eat everything.  The only thing I don't eat is capsicum.  Anything else is worth a try and probably fantastic.

It'd be bloody sad to not eat a wide variety of foods and love trying new stuff.  

Actually that'd be my pathetic mother in law - sorry!

#25 Spa Gonk

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

Whilst I probably would not word it quite like you did, I don't eat Asian food.  It is to do with the sauces.  I actually think I might have an intolerance to them.

I love Mexican and Italian.  Whilst being somewhat fussy, in any other cuisine I can find dishes on the menu I like to eat.  I love eating out.

I actually feel kind of bad that I don't like it.  I am not someone who has lived a sheltered life or who does not like what other cultures have to offer.    A friend in love with Thai made me eat there one night and whilst she found me a dish that was not too bad, I then spent the rest of the night in the toilet.  

The kids are pretty good eaters and in what they do refuse they are consistent with.  The eldest is not keen on bread and dough products for example, and even refuses pizza!  I figure she may just be sensitive to  wheat or gluten so don't see the point in forcing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.