Buying second hand 'pre loved'

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 snuffles

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Do you?

I mean, decluttering and donating good quality items to op shops is great, but who buys them?  Most of the op shops in our area seem to be overflowing with stuff.  Is it just a case of moving unwanted goods from one building to another?  Are you then replacing your good quality donations with further new stuff, adding to the cycle of waste??

Me - I do op shop, not as much as I probably should (ie I buy too many things new IMO).  Perhaps I should create a new years resolution around this...

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

I am playing with the idea of doing the challenge where you don't buy anything new for a period of time. I was thinking of trying for a month (I am a terrible online shopper, so it will be hard).

(Obviously food and house/beauty products can be new, I don't think I want a second hand toothbrush).

#3 Romeo Void

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

I do, in fact I usually pick up a little something each time I do a drop off.

#4 PatG

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yep, I buy second hand and pre loved.  I do think there are some things there isn't much of a market for though - either because by the time they are second hand they are too far gone or because there is an oversupply of them.  

There are other options apart from op shops - freecycle (people will come and collect with is good), gumtree or ebay if you think you'd like some money for the items and passing on to friends and family.  

I guess if your aim is to declutter you need to think about if you are likely to want to "replace" an item with a new one - if so, why not just keep the old one.  One trick is to pack up the things you are thinking of getting rid of into boxes in the garage or something and if you haven't dug it back out in X months then clearly you don't need it, and don't need to buy a replacement so it can go.

#5 MintyBiscuit

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

I'm slowly getting back into looking for pre loved things. When DS was younger, it was just easier to jump online and order something and know it would be good quality. But I've bought a few things recently off gumtree and ebay, and I'm trying to get back into op shopping for clothes as I've always enjoyed it.

There are some things I won't buy second hand, but most things I will. I find as well that often you'll find things second hand within your budget that are better quality than what you could buy new. I recently bought a beautiful blanket box on gumtree for $75 made of recycled hardwood, an new ones I was looking at for similar prices were cheap MDF.

#6 Delirium

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 31/12/2012, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are some things I won't buy second hand, but most things I will. I find as well that often you'll find things second hand within your budget that are better quality than what you could buy new. I recently bought a beautiful blanket box on gumtree for $75 made of recycled hardwood, an new ones I was looking at for similar prices were cheap MDF.

yyes.gif

I'm a student and a single mum and I buy lots of things second-hand as I have a VERY tight budget. I really appreciate it when people donate or sell good-quality stuff!

#7 Romeo Void

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 31/12/2012, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find as well that often you'll find things second hand within your budget that are better quality than what you could buy new. I recently bought a beautiful blanket box on gumtree for $75 made of recycled hardwood, an new ones I was looking at for similar prices were cheap MDF.

I think so to but lately I've been wondering what will fill the Op shops in a few years time as everything now seems to be cheaply made rubbish.  In the early 80's I'd buy pointy toed shoes from the 60's that were still perfectly wearable after 20 years. Try get a pair of shoes that will last more than 4-5 years without crumbling now!

#8 vanessa71

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

When I was 16, my wardrobe was almost exclusively second hand. I still have no trouble with second hand items, as long as they are in good condition.

DS and I would visit a particular op shop almost weekly and I did manage to buy some great books for DD at a very cheap price, however looking at the clothes they were trying to sell, including underwear that was not new, I can't imagine it was easy to shift. Occasionally there would be an item of good quality and it wouldn't last long.

I think when people want to feel good about donating, they should remember to donate items of reasonable quality, not stuff that clearly needs to be thrown out.

Edited by vanessa71, 31 December 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#9 Froger

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I pretty much only buy second hand. If I bought new stuff my kids would only make it look second hand by the end of the first day anyway. In fact I usually don't buy it - I try to just find it, like on on gumtree or hard rubbish collection day. tongue.gif

I even buy second hand stuff for gifts. I bought a lovely vase from Vinnes the other day for an eldery lady I was visiting. I thought I should take her something although she really didn't need anything. So  I couldn't bring myself to actually buy something new that was only adding more useless junk to the world. I therfore bought her the second had vase.

#10 Charri36

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

Me !! Clothes mainly though. I used to buy other stuff apart from clothes but thankfully I don't need to now.

I have 2 fav op shops, I never walk out empty handed. I buy my clothes there as I have very very sensitive skin, the chemical residue left on clothes makes me soooo ichy, I'll try clothes on in a normal store, start getting itchy, then I'm to scared to buy, in case it's the material, rather than the chemical. I can't wear wool or elastine.

As 2nd hand clothes have already been washed so much, the chemicals are long gone, so don't irritate my skin. I don't end up hot and itchy. ( I just have to touch material and I can tell you what it's made from due to how it burns my hand.

#11 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I love buying preloved stuff! Sometimes you really get a good bargain, and I have most times. For our second bub we bought preloved clothes, swaddles etc which are really costly if we buy firsthand. And the preloved ones are still in great condition. Recently dh bought a fantastic Valcro stroller for just $25! It comes with rain cover, sun shade etc etc and great for walks. We usually shop on eBay, gumtree and baby bargains. We don't go to Op shops. No particular reason, online is just easier.

#12 kristylee21

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Yep i buy a mixture of things second hand.. Clothes and books all the time and some furniture aswell, I got my 6 dinning chairs from the back of a vinnes shop, all covered in dust and looked like they had been there for ages. took them home to discover they cleaned up beautiful, are solid wood with no scratches on them and even have a very well know expencive brand imprinted on the back..$20 each!!!

#13 Feral timtam

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Apart from bookcases and beds pretty much all our furniture is preloved, our sofa was only $25 from Lifeline!
Furniture and home decor are the main things I buy pre loved, the styles I love are hard to get news so unless I go for a custom piece I usually can't find anything I like.

We don't have much luck buying second hand clothing, I'm a fairly common size in my area and anything that comes into the shops in that size is usually snatched up before I can get in there. I have slightly better luck with kids clothes, but lately it's just Kmart stuff and often more expensive than what I'd pay in Kmart.

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I keep intending to do more op shopping. Not so much for me, as I find it hard to get fit right, but for the kids. A friend of mine always has her kids in amazingly unique and georgeous clothes, and inevitably when I've asked, they've been from an op shop.

I've had a few excellent toy bargains from them. Hard to find ones that stock toys though.

#15 ~ky~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

My kids have nearly exclusively worn second hand clothing. They are beautifully dressed and have never been picked on for it - in fact, they have been able to develop their own style and have had others try to imitate their style!

Now that my kids are older, we have to buy more new items, but I still head to op shops etc - usually I can pick up clothes that have been barely worn and often brand new items!

#16 marnie27

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

I don't think I've ever bought anything from a second hand shop. Maybe a few things from second hand markets, and I've bought some awesome stuff on EB. Not because I have a problem with it but it would honestly just never occur to me to go to a second hand shop.

I donate lots of fantastic stuff regularly though - most of my kids toys are pristine because we're never home. My plan for 2013 is to strictly limit anything coming in to the house, we have far too much stuff.

#17 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

The only second hand items I buy really is antique furniture to renovate / restore. I think I have a bit of an "ick" factor with clothes and soft furnishings (though that's completely my problem!) but I'll accept hand me downs from people I know. I also just really like new, shiny things happy.gif

#18 B.feral3

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

I haven't walked into an OP shop for years so nothing from there. I sold most of DS2's good baby stuff though knowing that I would have a third a few years down the track. I bought his bassinet off of a Facebook Buy/Sell page. It was in 'as new' condition. I paid $90 and sold it for $110. I bought him a swing from the page for $30 and sold it for $25. I bought the Bumbo for $25 and sold it for $30. His baby needs have cost me exactly $0 because I bought nothing new then sold for around what I paid, 100% breastfed and used his brothers hand me down clothes and cloth nappies.

We are decluttering more and more and I've sold about $400 worth of stuff on Buy/Sell pages in the last month and have done about 10 trips to the charity bin for stuff we can't be bothered selling like clothes/new in plastic photo albums/suitcases/good condition kids shoes etc.

I have absolutely no issue buying second hand. Most of the stuff I do buy second hand is in 'as new' condition and I save a small fortune.

#19 Feral_Pooks

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

I used to live on second hand stuff. I used to move a lot, and just left behind stuff and then hit hard rubbish, op shops and sounded out any available hand me downs. Cardboard boxes can also take the place of a surprising amount of furniture. A couch, a mattress, they are about the only things you can't recreate with cardboard boxes. If you can get a bar fridge from somewhere, you're set. A microwave and toaster is lovely, too.

Now that I'm not in poverty, I have modified that a bit, buying new clothing for myself when I want the clothing to last (not such a big deal with party clothes or things like scarves and so on), and also big, long-lasting household items I now get new where possible and where I can afford reasonable quality. If I could no longer afford to get these things new, I'd go back to my old ways without any worries. I also manage to afford some of these things new, and good quality, because I save money in other ways a big one is by buying things used, and accepting hand me downs.

I love getting a bargain. Baby items, including clothes, toys, you can get in SUCH good nick second hand.

#20 Maple Leaf

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I do. I rarely leave an op shop without getting something.

#21 Canberra Chick

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

When we moved here, our white goods and furniture were bought second hand. We'd have struggled otherwise. I bought myself 5 dresses for $45 for Frocktober and only be has been re donated - they were great. I picked up some bangles for DD for 50c at the same time!

Most of our books come from Lifeline and DD and DS's Christmas presents to each other are from the toy stall at the school fete and are often the most popular present!  rolleyes.gif

Also, DS's keyboard was second hand; I bought it off someone at work and two years later its still going strong and he's about to start preliminary grading, so it's been great for his piano practice.

ETA: I don't tend to buy second hand clothes for the kids because I grew up mostly wearing second hand because it was all my parents could afford and I remember the embarrassment of a class'mate' pointing out that I was wearing their sister's cast offs...

Edited by Canberra chick, 01 January 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#22 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Apart from books (and I use a kindle now, as I don't have room for any more books), I'm not really into second hand stuff.  No other reason other than I love shiny new stuff original.gif

#23 Lifesgood

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

I never shop at op shops, but I do buy a lot of second hand stuff online, mostly clothes for the kids and sometimes for me.

I used to buy loads of stuff for the kids in the EB Trading Room but it has dried up for some reason. I now mainly shop for used items on eBay.

#24 somila

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I'm going through my sons' clothes today as it happens.  Looking at some perfectly good socks and jocks and trying to decide whether to donate them.  I think I will.

Op shops are one of our holiday excursions (along with DVD hire places, McDonalds, cinemas, parks and libraries).  I don't buy undies there, but the boys love the books and DVDs and we found a great Canterbury brand Wallabies t-shirt for DS#1 the other day.  I'm always looking for vintage Johnson china but it's becoming harder to find.

#25 Oriental lily

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I bought four good quality fitted queen size sheets from the salvos the other week for 3 dollars each.

What's not to love about that?

Looove op shops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.