Urgent lead in our water
But I want to birth in the spa!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cherish

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Can anyone provide/or know any information about giving birth in water that has high levels of lead.
Currently we cannot consume our water at all. No teeth brushing/washing fruit/boiling veggies.
I'm due to give birth soon and had planned a home waterbirth.
But I don't know whether its safe or extremely unsafe.
I am so furious right now!

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

For me I would not be using that water.

#3 imamumto3

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

I probably wouldn't risk it.  buy lots and lots and lots off bottled water and warm it in the kettle, might be a bit expensive and time consuming though biggrin.gif

#4 Camizebra

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Oh no poor you OP!  I would not be using that water.  If it's not good enough to consume I wouldn't want it on your skin or your wee bubbas.  I know this may sound weird but could you get a water tank to deliver water to you?  I recall friends of ours having their pool filled this way for some reason.

Not much help, sorry.  Good luck.

#5 MAGS24

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

If you can't drink the water, then why would you risk that your newborn might drink the water?

#6 JRA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Are you really even considering it? Really?

#7 Poss and Soss

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

No WAY!

#8 Cherish

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

I'm looking for information only.
I have made other water plans.
Massive PITA, but not planning on exposing my bits or my newborn to lead.

#9 Mumma_G

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Can I ask where you live in order to have lead in your water supply?

#10 Cherish

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Rural Tasmania!
We are on bore water!

#11 ekbaby

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Can you use the water for bathing at the moment? When you have a water birth the baby is not going to be drinking the water. The water will be touching their skin though. Their are different options for reducing you/your baby's exposure to the lead. Eg: If you get out of the bath soon after the baby is born they are not going to be in the water for very long. After your baby is born are you planning to bathe them/your other kids in the water? If so then I don't see how birthing in the water would be different. You could get out of the pool soon after the baby is born, and birth the placenta "on land".

The other issue would be your own exposure to the lead before the baby is born. If you were planning to use the pool as a main source of pain relief and to be in there for hours and hours that might be a concern- not so much for your baby, but for you. Maybe you would want to save the birth pool for the second stage only?

ETA: Are you having a midwife? Have you discussed it with them? They might have some ideas

Edited by ekbaby, 31 December 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#12 Cherish

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Yes have a midwife, haven't discussed with her. (She's doing the birth only not antenatal care)
Poor husband has just lugged a couple of hundred litres of water over from the drinking supply so will store that in the bathroom until the time. Will boil the water and I've borrowed a couple of urns!

#13 Cherish

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

We can bathe in it but have been advised to 'cover wounds with a band aid' and ensure kids don't suck on face washers etc.'
I've heard directly from the health department not to birth in the bore water.
(Lead levels are 0.04 for this interested)

#14 Feral-Lausii

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

You must live in the same area as my parents. They have to collect water from the fire station. I wouldn't risk it either...

#15 Glr-r

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Aren't spa's a nono for pregnant women anyway?

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Spas and baths are a non no if the water temp is to high.

Other than that it's no different than a bath.

Op considering what you were advised regarding bathing no I would not birth in it.

Babies do sometimes take in the water in a birthing pool.For this reason they add salt to water.
The logistics are going to e incredibly hard to get the water ready. It's not like you can 'book' the water for a particular day, we all know births and babies are not predictable.

Do you have a water tank you could fill?

Or is it possible to Birth at a friends or relatives house?

#17 Cherish

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Yes it's from the fire station... Lol... Small world!
I'm not going to birth in it.
I have 3 81L containers in my bathroom full of water ready to pour it in.
And I have borrowed 2 urns that will have hot water to her the bath as well as pots on the stove and the BBQ and the kettle.
Think I am set!
Still annoying tho!

#18 Azadel

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Goodness no, considering the effect of lead on children's brains. Who knows what even a tiny exposure could do.

How annoying for you op I hope your water birth goes beautifully even if you had to work a bit harder to get it

#19 babatjie

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

I would contact the Environmental Health Centre in Port Pirie or something similar.

http://www.dh.sa.gov.au/pehs/branches/branch-ptpirie.htm

#20 Prickly

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

For around $100 - you can get a water immersion heater. They sell them at Home Brew shops.

It is a coil that has a 240V electric plug.
Might be too late to get one, but if you could - it would save you a lot of time in heating the water & lugging water from the kitchen to where you have the pool set up.

All the best !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.