Working with rice paper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FarmBaby

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Does anyone have any tips on working with rice paper to make cold rolls? Mine always end up loose and have folds in them. I would love to make a roll that is nice and tight so when you bight into it the filling doesn't go everywhere.

#2 Sammzz

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Firstly practice practice practice... wink.gif ...I'm no expert but my rolls are getting better biggrin.gif

Use cold water and dip the rice paper into the water to get wet and let the excess water drip off (don't leave them in there) place on plate to assembly the fillings (don't worry that the rice paper is still firm it will be soft by the time you finish assembling your fillings)
I like to put the fillings in the 1/3 section closes to me,
lift the flap closes to me over the fillings and making sure that it is firm,
hold that in place,
fold the flap on the right over and then the left side,
so you have a rectangle of sort with a trail,
holding everything firmly, starting rolling like you would a newspaper!

Hope that made sense.

Gee it's harder to explain it than do it! biggrin.gif

#3 Mumma_G

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

I do mine one sheet at a time. I wet a teatowel and fold it around my chopping board. I then wet the rice paper.I just use tap water. I put the filling you want to see on top down first, usually meat, then everything else. I place mine directly in the middle and fold in the top and bottom edges first. Fold over the left side then the left side.

#4 FrenchSoda

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

I think Sammzz has it down pat! All i can add is that I find a large frypan is a good size for the soaking water and, as an alternative method, i saw an episode of nigel slater's cooking show where he was taught by a Vietnamese cook to do it this way instead of soaking:

For the summer rolls, lay the rice paper sheet on a chopping board. Put a bowl of cold water next to it and with wet fingers, pat the rice paper sheet wet until pliable. They should be moist but not too wet as they will tear. (From here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...d_seabass_62243)

Though I've found getting rice paper rolls from the Vietnamese takeaway is such a cheap and healthy dinner, I haven't made them myself in awhile. I went to a friend's place for dinner not long ago and they served DIY rice paper rolls which was a fun spin-off of Taco Night!

#5 FarmBaby

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I've been using a frypan of hot water to dunk the sheets in. Maybe cold water is the key???? Thanks for the advice!

#6 BlueUnicorn

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

I fold as per pp, filling in middle, fold top and bottom in then roll.  I also soak them one at a time then drain and make the on a clean tea towel on the chopping board.  

I use room temp water, usually out of the jug if its cool enough.  I've found they wrap neater with only a small amount of filling too.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.