First date
your opinions please

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 miss_single

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

So I have been single for 12 months after a 10 year marriage and finally dipped my toe into the world of online dating.

I have been chatting to this one guy for a couple of days who seems nice, normal enough etc and just now he suggests meeting up.

He suggested coffee tomorrow morning at the beach, fine for me. Had made arrangements to meet then he texts back - "Doggy playdate instead? Our 2 dogs at the dog beach and then we see how we feel about each other?"

I texted back with 'sorry, my dog's not a fan of the beach' and he came back with 'that's ok, park instead?'

Is this strange? He seems nice enough but I thought the idea of a coffee was to get to know him, then progress from there?

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

He might be nervous and a doggy play date lifts some of that first date stress. It also gives something to do to avoid uncomfortable silences and an excuse for a quick getaway if needed.

#3 Luxe

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

He's trying to be accomodating. I think a dog date sound good because it takes some pressure off.. its not like you can't tie the dogs up outside a coffee shop.

#4 Funwith3

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

If you've already discussed your love for your dogs, then I think its a nice idea. Maybe he thinks it will give you something to talk about? Or something to distract from the silence if there is any?

#5 miss_single

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

We've both spoken about the fact that our dogs are both rescues, so yeah that may be it?

#6 Baggy

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I think it sounds like a nice idea?

#7 miss_single

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Thanks guys for your opinions original.gif

#8 JuliaGulia

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Very nice and sounds very sensible.  Have a great time!

#9 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Awww he wants you to meet his doggy wink.gif I think it's very sweet original.gif

I agree, less pressure!

#10 FiveAus

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like a great idea and immediately gives you both an ice-breaker.

#11 PurpleWitch

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

A great first "date"!

#12 Therese

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

It sounds great to me too original.gif

I hope it goes well.

#13 Jellyblush

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

That's fine if you have discussed your dogs.

Also, if his dog is a rescue it might have separation anxiety issues. He may like to take it most places if he can.

Good luck, hope it goes well

#14 erindiv

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I agree it could be a way to cope with any awkwardness. Sitting in a coffee shop is pretty close and could be intimidating for him. I met DBF online and we first met on the side of the road!

#15 TillyTake2

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

How'd your doggy date go?

#16 Chelli

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

I think it sounds lovely original.gif Good luck

#17 Stellajoy

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Dog date sounds awesome! It will give you something to talk about if conversation stalls

#18 squirrel10

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

How did your doggy date go OP? Did your dogs get on? biggrin.gif

#19 miss_single

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Hi original.gif went really well dogs got along, so did we, lol. Another date sans dogs in a few days original.gif Thanks for your replies!

#20 Chelli

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

That's lovely original.gif Good luck with your next date.

#21 *Lib*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

How exciting!

#22 WithSprinkles

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Great to hear original.gif Hope the next one goes well too!

#23 mitty82

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

a single guy who wants to take his doggy and your doggy and you out for a beach date or play date at a park ?

Run!!!!!!!! straight at him lol. i didnt think many single guys would do this lol.

#24 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Glad to hear you had a great time. I would have been with the other posters in that it takes some stress out of having to make conversation over coffee.

Hope your next date goes well.

I do know that DH would never have spoken to me if I had not wandered up and said " hello". It was a moment which changed our lives.

Edited by lsolaBella, 02 January 2013 - 12:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.