Selling house with a LF?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

We have not moved for 17 yrs ffear.gif
What would you love in your house that you don't have?

TIA

Edited by lifehacker, 09 February 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#2 Tobias'smum

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

not sure what state you are in but in WA they are called Subject- Sales settlement of one subject to the settlelement of the other i think in your case this is important in cas esomething happens like you sid ligistics would be a nightmare

no advice on large families - we only have 3 in a 4 bedroom house original.gif

#3 deedee70

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I would love a rumpus room for the kids! Just really to try and contain the toys!!  biggrin.gif

#4 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

We have sold a few homes. Sometimes we have been fortunate enough to have enough income to be able to finance 2 homes at one time, that makes life much easier as you just buy, move and then sell. the other time we sold, rented from family friend and then bought. We are reluctant to put ourselves in a position where we are left having to rush into buying, so have never bought subject to sale or sold with a longer settlement hoping to buy in that time.

Our next house will be 2-3 years in the making as we want it to be perfect. We are waiting to settle on a quarter of an acre, 30 minutes closer to the city (and everything else) and then we will spend 2013 looking for the perfect plan to build. We are looking for 5 bedrooms, master with ensuite including spa, 3 living areas, butlers pantry, cloak room, lots of storage and a garage. We want the living areas seperate and able to be closed off.

#5 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (The 7 Dwarfs @ 01/01/2013, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have sold a few homes. Sometimes we have been fortunate enough to have enough income to be able to finance 2 homes at one time, that makes life much easier as you just buy, move and then sell. the other time we sold, rented from family friend and then bought. We are reluctant to put ourselves in a position where we are left having to rush into buying, so have never bought subject to sale or sold with a longer settlement hoping to buy in that time.

Our next house will be 2-3 years in the making as we want it to be perfect. We are waiting to settle on a quarter of an acre, 30 minutes closer to the city (and everything else) and then we will spend 2013 looking for the perfect plan to build. We are looking for 5 bedrooms, master with ensuite including spa, 3 living areas, butlers pantry, cloak room, lots of storage and a garage. We want the living areas seperate and able to be closed off.

That sounds lovely! original.gif  We want 3 living areas also.  It is proving hard to find many homes, especially in the areas we are interested in that has all we need.

Hmm I am getting really nervous about it. Dh spoke to the real estate guy today who said hardly anyone signs subject to sale of house anymore unsure.gif  We absolutely could not afford to pay 2 mortgages.
We may have to see what we could organise in regards to staying somewhere after we sold first. We do know a few people with holiday type shacks that we could possibly rent, would just be a bit of a drive to school and work during the time spent finding a new home. Whether we could find somewhere to stay long enough to build I'm not sure.

#6 ChilliDog

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I don't belong in here but came through recent topics.

Is it possible to take a little longer with the whole process and sell first and stipulate the longest settlement you can get (90days?) then take that time and look for a new home and a rental both at the same time. This wil cover all bases and should ensure you have somewhere to move into ... either your dream home or just a rental for 6-12 months. If its a rental then you'll be able to take your time searching for the right home ... not just buy something unsuitable/semi suitable because you're desperate.

FYI if you're in Melb and want a recommendation for an good RE agent then feel free to PM me. I just sold a house 6 months ago and the agent sold it in 2 weeks and they made it an easy and painless process.

Good luck!!

#7 bec4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

We are also in the same boat and want to sell and buy something bigger this year. I had exactly the same questions as the house we live in was our first house and we have been here nearly 5 years.  It is so hard trying to find something at the moment - there is nothing big enough in the right area that isn't way over our budget.  I get really stressed about the whole process, where as DH is kind of relaxed - I just don't think he has thought about everything.

I would love to knock down the house that we are in and build as the area is not the best but it is close to everything we need and the block is a decent size, but just the thought of finding somewhere else to live and then how much money we would need does my head in.

We were going to move to QLD and would still like to one day, maybe when we have less children to move. And as I just passed an exam at work which will give me a considerable pay rise we have decided to stay here a while I think.

Good luck with your search - which state are you in?  We are SA. I will be following this with interest.

Oh we are looking for 4 or 5 bedrooms with two decent sized living areas.  I really want a carport/double garage and a walk in pantry.  DH wants a large shed.  It is proving to be difficult.

Bec

Edited by bec4, 03 January 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#8 pocketferal

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Would you consider renting your current house out until you are ready to sell it?  That way you have the rent coming in to help with the extra mortgage repayments, plus there can be tax breaks.

#9 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (ChilliDog @ 03/01/2013, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't belong in here but came through recent topics.

Is it possible to take a little longer with the whole process and sell first and stipulate the longest settlement you can get (90days?) then take that time and look for a new home and a rental both at the same time. This wil cover all bases and should ensure you have somewhere to move into ... either your dream home or just a rental for 6-12 months. If its a rental then you'll be able to take your time searching for the right home ... not just buy something unsuitable/semi suitable because you're desperate.

FYI if you're in Melb and want a recommendation for an good RE agent then feel free to PM me. I just sold a house 6 months ago and the agent sold it in 2 weeks and they made it an easy and painless process.

Good luck!!

Thanks I'm in S.A.  The market seems very slow here.  That's what I think we would have to do - get as long a settlement as possible and see if we can rent something from friends, we would never get a regular rental with 10 of us.  My eldest dd had trouble finding something just for her and her husband.  We have 2 dogs as well to complicate things.

bec4 - maybe it's a man thing LOL, dh is the same, "oh we'll just sell, get top dollar and have it all wrapped up and find the perfect house in the next few weeks" huh.gif   I really think he isn't thinking about everything that could potentially go wrong.

Who would have thought when I finally get the go ahead form dh and the kids are on board that now I am the one thinking maybe moving isn't such a good idea. sigh.

#10 bec4

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Lifehacker are you still looking?  What area are you looking? North or South.  We are looking South.  Check everyday and still can't find anything.  There has been nothing new for weeks.  We have nearly finished everything we need to do with this house to sell it but I am stressing that now there is nothing to buy. Hope you are having better luck.

Bec

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.