Bunk beds
Ages?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

For those of you with bunk beds, what age did you find is okay for younger ones to start sleeping in them?  Thinking about getting them for 4 and 6 yr olds?  Not sure if they'd be safe enough at that age?  Also if you have younger ones also did you find they play/climb on them?  Looking to save space but also save broken bones! wink.gif

#2 Bomber girl

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

My boys have had them for a year. They were just 3 and just 5 at the time. The youngest is in the bottom and we haven't had any issues. We just told them from the start no playing

#3 vintage.blue

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

My boys are in bunk beds. We got them earlier this year for them - they were 3 and 5. They have been fine original.gif

The older one comes down from his bunk to lie with his brother and snuggle sometimes which is really cute! But the younger one doesn't go up to the top bunk.

#4 lactasticmama

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

We've had bunks for over 18 months. DD1 & DS went into them, they were 2.5 & 4.5. It's been great, never had a problem with them. They are now almost 6 & 4, and still love them.

Ours aren't too high, and the top bunk is fully enclosed except the ladder spot. Got them from fantastic furniture.

#5 Chocolate Addict

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

As kids my brothers had bunk beds from a very young age, I think 3yo my younger brother was at the time, of course he was on the bottom and my 7yo brother was on top.

My son would love a bunk bed but the room is fairly small and we have ceiling fans so he could hurt himself with the fan it we had bunks.

If they have all the rails and the older child is on top and can climb down the ladder by him/herself I can't see a problem.

#6 lactasticmama

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Chocolate Addict @ 31/12/2012, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son would love a bunk bed but the room is fairly small and we have ceiling fans so he could hurt himself with the fan it we had bunks.

We have a ceiling fans in bedrooms too (we bought the bunks in our last rental which had no fans). It has just got far too hot here at night, so we've pulled the bunks apart so the kids can have the fan on. Once it cools down again I'll put the bunks back together and tape up the fan switch, so they can't turn it on. It seemed to do the trick for us. Might be an option for you?

#7 puddina

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

there are fantastic bunks at Domayne for kids (albeit expensive) bottom bunk is low overall height of bunk is quite low as well - which makes changing the sheets so much easier   rolleyes.gif (So my DP points out) we'll get these for our almost 2.5yo

#8 librablonde

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

I have had my kids in their bunk from age 3 and 5 (5 year old on top bunk). We've not had any problems with using a bunk.

#9 CafeCat

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

We bought lowline bunks for our then 2yo and 3.5yo. They were very good kids and never played on them. I couldn't expect the same from my youngest two kids though, so it depends on your kids as well.

#10 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Awesome thanks everyone, looks like I will be shopping for bunks!  Lowline one sound good, dh is liking the Ikea reversible ones  so we will start there.
Thanks

#11 Rolex

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

We had Bunkers low line ones for my then 6yo and 4yo. The 4yo ended up on the top bunk because the 6yo decided he didn't like it up there, so they swapped after the first night!

Never had any problems original.gif

#12 muggins_00

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

My 4 and 5.5yos have been in their bunkers mid-line bunk for about a year now. We've got a thinner foam mattress in the top bunk for now and the Bunkers safety rail is quite high anyway. Bedrooms are for sleeping not playing in our house and we haven't had any tumbles original.gif

#13 ~shannon~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

My daughters had bunks last year (we've now split them into two beds as we moved into a bigger house) and the eldest had the top bed. She was 6.

The main thing was strict rules about not playing on the top bed, and the youngest was not allowed to go onto the top bed (she's only 2). They loved making cubby houses on the bottom bed by hanging a sheet down so they were enclosed (the other side was against the wall).

Biggest issue for me was making the beds - VERY difficult!!

#14 IsolaBella

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

My kids have been in bunk beds at my folks when we visit since they were 3&5. Never had any problems.

#15 ~Jot~

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

My nearly 3 and nearly 5 yo have just gone into an IKEA Kura bunk bed. The top bunk is very low. It's actually a loft bed but you can put slats down the bottom and put another mattress down there. It's been fantastic.

#16 sophiasmum

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

OP, I think those ages are fine. Just put the youngest on the bottom & make rules about climbing.

My DS has bunk beds since he was about 5, but the top is only used by him when he has a friend sleeping over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.