How crap was 9s coverage of fireworks

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Lainskii

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

I've never really watched the fireworks on TV as always been out on NYE or at a party so tv might be on in the background. I have to say that it was crap, just one big ad for channel 9s new shows.

#2 puddina

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

channel 7 wasn't any better

#3 Chookin

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Crap crap crap, just one big advertorial & didn't channel 9 drop Catriona Rowntree?? Where was Richard Wilkins, doesn't he normally host them?
I was grooving out to max music on foxtel most of the night original.gif

#4 *melrose*

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

yep very upset it was sh*t.

#5 wiggles

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Wansnt too fussed on channel 9 either. We were grooving to foxtel too.  

#6 CCLady

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

I didn't think it was that bad? You're talking about the actual fireworks display?

My kids loved it, first time they have been up at midnight on NYE. I thought they were ok on channel 9...  unsure.gif

#7 Eirlys

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I think we are talking about the actual program. The fireworks were good, the presenters stilted the performers either who is that-ish or not good live performers, and of course they were interspersing the gigantic ad that channel nine used the fireworks as. It was a cringe worthy production. But the fireworks were nice. The count down wasn't even done well. Overall I agree horrible

#8 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I think it had a lot to do with the soundtrack.  The music was sh*te which did the the coverage no favours.  It was too slow and I kept waiting for something a little more upbeat.  So boring!

#9 B.3

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I turned the TV on at 11:56pm and off at 12:01am so I only saw literally 5 minutes.

The countdown lips were crap. I think they completely missed 10 and 9... or I did.  blush.gif There was no anticipation before they started counting down anyway.

The 'Let's Get the Party Started' number was cringe worthy. He was terrible and the dancers were awkward. They booked Kylie Minogue a year in advance apparently but something tells me that didn't go to plan either. I wonder how much she cost for her 25 second air time and to press the red button!!!

#10 CCLady

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I admit I thought "Is this guy for reals?" when Darren Percival covered that Pink song. Such an odd song choice!

#11 little lion

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Gosh that Reece Mastin performance was cringeworthy! I could sing better I'm sure.

#12 Eirlys

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I admit I wondered who Mr Percival was... and he was a little too lounge singer to get any party started. I wonder if he was the first choice or second best?

Edited by Eirlys, 01 January 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#13 Old Grey Mare

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (little lion @ 01/01/2013, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gosh that Reece Mastin performance was cringeworthy! I could sing better I'm sure.

Funny, I said exactly the same thing. Typically cheap and woeful presentation but thank Heavens we didn't have to listen to or look at Richard Wilkins. Who was the empty space next to Catriona Rowntree? As if she isn't irritating enough without an assistant. Anyway, the fireworks were spectacular.

#14 Nine.years

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

It was terrible.  Whoever was responsible for the positioning of the cameras and the cutting between camera angles should feel very ashamed of themselves.

We watched some of the fireworks live from in front of our house, then came inside to watch the final bits (ie, the "bridge" bits) on the TV.  We should have just stayed outside.  They largely just alternated between a very wide helicopter shot, and a weird angle at the base of the bridge.  You could tell that the fireworks were as good as usual but they weren't being showcased very well by the coverage.

I can't remember which channel did the Sydney fireworks last year - could even have been nine.  But last year they did a marvellous job of showing off just how impressive the fireworks were.  I think that's why this year's coverage was so disappointing.

#15 *Lib*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

I saw 3 songs and they were terrible!!
Reece, Ricki and Darren.

#16 Cancerian Moon

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Seven was far, far worse. Interviews with people who organise the music, the entertainment, so dull. Very badly planned.

#17 Dream Foundations

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Lainskii @ 31/12/2012, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never really watched the fireworks on TV as always been out on NYE or at a party so tv might be on in the background. I have to say that it was crap, just one big ad for channel 9s new shows.

It couldn't even keep me awake - turned it on at 11.39, did mad scramble for remote control as they were flogging one of their upcoming programs to try and entice all of the goolies out of it - very not worth airing - but I am starting to think that is the way of the majority of television these days!!

#18 JuniPooks_

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Channel 7 was equally bad. The host talked crap the whole countdown. And she looked like a bleached oompa loompa who had been hit with a make up gun. Bang! Pink for you! Bang bang bang!

#19 Canberra chick

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

It was really bad this year! They didn't count down properly so when Kylie pressed the button and fireworks started we assumed that was it, then there was some whispered countdown?  shrug.gif really bad. Very rarely do I miss the bells of Big Ben on Radio 4 telling me it is midnight, but I did this year.

#20 i-candi

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Glad it wasn't just me who thought 9 coverage was just one big ad!

Pathetic but DD 10 loved it, it was her first midnight NYE original.gif

#21 Rolex

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I felt embarrassed for Reece Mastin.  Does he really think he can sing?  Even my 11 year old commented on how awful it was, before I'd even said anything.

#22 Coffeegirl

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

DH and I didn't make it tomidnight last night (too tired after 11 hour drive) so we taped it.

Just watched and wondered why we bothered.

The sound on the channel 9 performers/singers was woeful.  Whoever did the engineering should be shot.  i've seen Reece sing at our local Westfield and he wasn't anywhere near as bad as he was last night.

The visual coverage of the fireworks was pretty bad too.   I understand there is a lot to cover, but they must have been given a timesheet, so they would have known when to cut to the final of the bridge going off?  

Bad. Bad.  Bad.

#23 MotherClucker

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

I had googled some countdown thing and was surprised when it got to 10 seconds and Kylie pushed the button with no count down on the TV?! We thought we were out of sync lol.  We usually watch all the fireworks but the music was horrible!! So we went outside and lit our sparklers instead.

#24 handsfull

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

And if you were living in another state rather than NSW which bloody channel could you watch to watch your own state fireworks.  NONE!

Pathetic!!!

#25 *cough*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I thought that Catriona was gonna punch the co-host. It was so awkward.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.