Roomba or Scooba?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Which do you think would be more useful to us, a Rooma or Scooba?

We have white/grey polished porcelain tiles

Carpeted: bedrooms, lounge, hall
Tiled: wide entry, kitchen/meals, family and rumpus (all connected) plus the bathroom & laundry off the hall.

I find that the job of picking everything up, then vacuuming or sweeping, then mopping takes too long and I can't get it all done in one hit.  And when I go back to do the areas I haven't finished, the rest of the place needs it again anyhow.

We have an old but good vacuum, and doing the carpets isn't an issue for me.
Our mop is an Enjo pole with a Sabco mop head on it.  Drying the tiles is a pain and they are not coming up well.

I'd like to have a look at the Roombas and Scoobas but I'd like some thoughts on what would be most useful to us first.

When school goes back I will have about an hour out of the house with the school run each day and each way.

#2 Monket

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have an LG Roboking.  I am in love with it.  I find that as the floors are kept quite clean and sit free, they require less mopping.   I do a bit of spot mopping when needed and a full mop every couple of weeks.

#3 ChilliDog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I just got a Roomba a week ago and I'm already in love with it. I just leave it do it's thing while I'm out or at night when I'm sleeping and the floors have never been so dirt/dust free (2 dogs + a newish house build with dirt still outside being trampled in all the time).

I haven't tested it much on carpet yet as we've just done our living area which is all tiles except for 1 rug. Does do a good job on the rug but it's new and so far has just collected surface dirt.

DH was very skeptical to start with but I now find him playing with it, testing the settings and doing spot cleans lol. Think he loves it just as much as me now.

I've never used or even seen a scooba so I can't comment on that!

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Roomba. Scooba works better when the floors have been vacuumed first anyway.  When I was waiting for a new battery for Scooba, I was able to Roomba the kitchen/dining at night after going to bed, then mop before the children got up.  You can Roomba one room at a time if necessary as well, so you don't have to pick everything up all at once, and it will go under the beds and things.

FWIW, I didn't find the Enjo mop that great on tiles, and I recently gave mine away.

#5 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I only have a Scooba so can't compare but I love it. I only run it downstairs where it is all tiles. I figure there is not much point having a roomba for the upstairs carpets when I have to vacuum the stairs anyway.

I pop my dining table chairs up at night and let it do it's thing. I will do a quick sweep if DD2 has tipped her entire dinner on the floor but otherwise just let the inbuilt vacuum do the work. The catcher for debris isn't very big though and it will stop if it's full.

#6 *LucyE*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have both and like them both original.gif

If I had to choose between them, I think I'd choose the Scooba but our living areas are either tile or timber floors. We only have carpet in the bedrooms which I prefer to vac with a power head brush to get the dog hair out.

The Scooba does a vac before mopping so if you run it regularly (I was doing daily), there isn't much of a build up that needs a super vacuuming. My tiles were cleaner with the Scooba than compared to getting professional cleaners with their fancy scrubbing machine.

#7 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Lucy an 2GG, how well does the scooba do the vacuum?  Is the capacity the same as for a roomba?  And can you set it to only vacuum?

Over the last few days I've been looking at how our floors get used, and if it is loose dirt or stuck dirt, and its more of the loose stuff.

Also, where did you get your appliances?  There doesn't seem to be much competition, and the Good Guys didn't have them on their website.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Duffy29 @ 04/01/2013, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucy an 2GG, how well does the scooba do the vacuum?  Is the capacity the same as for a roomba?  And can you set it to only vacuum?

Over the last few days I've been looking at how our floors get used, and if it is loose dirt or stuck dirt, and its more of the loose stuff.

You can't set Scooba to only vacuum, and it doesn't vacuum first, then mop, it's all part of the same process.  It has a filter that traps the larger bits of dirt.  It doesn't get into the corners as well as Roomba either.  For loose stuff - sand, crumbs, etc - I'd get Roomba.

I don't know where is the best place to get them - the place we got ours from (online) doesn't sell them anymore.

#9 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (Duffy29 @ 04/01/2013, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, where did you get your appliances?  There doesn't seem to be much competition, and the Good Guys didn't have them on their website.

I got my Scooba from Harvey Norman. It was ticketed at $850 but (without me asking) the sales girl said let me see what price I can do and came back with $650 and a 3 year warranty. Obviously this one had been sitting as floor stock for a while! If they don't offer a price reduction I'd definitely ask original.gif

#10 joykey

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

I remember hearing a while back (may have even been on EB) that you can get them at CostCo. Anyone know about that?

#11 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

I don't think so.  The model they were selling, the 530, has  been discontinued.  If you find out otherwise let me know.  I think I will go for the Roomba over the scooba.  Our house is new, so we are surrounded by dirt, and it is invading me.  The house filled up wit insects last night from having the windows open due to the heat and I am walking over dead bugs.

So I just need to work out which model and where to buy it from.

#12 Pompol

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I also have polished porcelain tiles OP and they are the bane of my existence - well, cleaning them is. I nearly bought a scooba last year. One of DHs work colleagues had one so I borrowed it to see how we'll it worked. It was good at cleaning  - but I had to block off my open living area into 5 sections for it to work efficiently and the worst part was it left the floor so wet that the clean tiles were horribly water marked and looked dirty anyway. And it was so loud I could never run it overnight which is what I'd planned. So glad we hadnt bought one. By tr time I set up the areas, then dried each area after it was done, it's quicker for me to just do it with a microfibres mop in the first place. So i recommend borrowing one to see how it goes with your tiles, mine are fairly dark grey and the water marks might not be so bad on a lighter tile. Good luck!

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Pompol @ 05/01/2013, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also have polished porcelain tiles...
... and the worst part was it left the floor so wet that the clean tiles were horribly water marked and looked dirty anyway.

Did you get much water out of it when you emptied it?  Mine generally doesn't suck the water up properly if it is not cleaned well after each use and then I get the water marks.  We used to have white polished porcelain tiles and it did a great job on those.  We had very rough grey tiles in our old laundry though and it did a terrible job on those, I think because of the surface.

#14 Gumbette

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I have ceramic tiles downstairs and engineered floorboards upstairs, do you think I'll need a Roomba & a Scooba? Or will this be overkill?  Does anyone have a Robomaid?  Any suggestions would be great.

#15 roses99

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'm saving up for the LG. AFAIK it's the only one that can map the ceiling to know where it's been and where it still needs to go. A friend did a stack of research before buying hers and she's really happy with it.

#16 ~Sorceress~

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (joykey @ 05/01/2013, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember hearing a while back (may have even been on EB) that you can get them at CostCo. Anyone know about that?

Yup, I bought my latest roomba from Costco for the free warranty upgrade original.gif . My previous two roombas both had warranty issues, but this one's been fine <touch wood!> .

I considered the scooba, but with six children and a dog our floors really NEED vacuuming before mopping wink.gif .

#17 *LucyE*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

I have ceramic tiles downstairs and engineered floorboards upstairs, do you think I'll need a Roomba & a Scooba? Or will this be overkill? Does anyone have a Robomaid? Any suggestions would be great.

I have a Roomba and Scooba.  It's not overkill original.gif

No idea about the Robomaid.

With the engineered floorboards, are they safe to use the Scooba?  I'd be worried about the moisture causing warping.  The only engineered floorboards I looked at, the warranty only covered being mopped with a Enjo or similar.

I considered the scooba, but with six children and a dog our floors really NEED vacuuming before mopping

LOL  That's why you run the roomba first, and then the scooba straight after.

I'm currently not using either because destructo toddler has crap strewn everywhere.  The robots would have conniptions trying to navigate around and there's no point picking stuff up unless he's alseep, by which time, it's just quicker to run around with the vac and mop myself.  For me, the point of the robots is to work while you're not home so you can come back to clean floors original.gif

#18 laridae

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

I want to get a Neato, they are supposed to be a lot smarter than the Roomba (roomba just randomly vacs) & better than the LG too (as the LG needs lights on to be able to map).

Neato uses lasers to map.

Unfortunately they aren't available in Aus, so you have to import them from the US.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.