Making a sea change
Recommedations?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Relish*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Dp and I are hoping to make 2013 the year of the sea/tree change for us.  We are mid twenties, no mortgage or other financial ties, kids are still little and i'm already studying externally, so we want to do it before its all too hard and becomes a logistical nightmare.Any recommendations ?  :-) Currently in Perth, south west of WA is the obvious choice but we have both always dreamed of moving to a beachside town in Tassie so are open to interstate. workwise DP works in the purchasing dept of a company that manufactures mining equipment but is more suited to labourer work , he would be happy kicking about aworkshop all day.  I would prefer somewhere with a primary school,  I'm a teacher , not looking at working just yet but may do in the near future.

Also if anyone else has done this and has any advice I'd love to hear it!   Thanks!

#2 aphraell

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

We are looking at the end of 2013 or early 2014 for our sea change and moving to the Great Southern region of WA ( currently in Sydney).

What are your requirements? For us being close to family for DD, good schools, nice weather, affordable land (semi-rural for us), good amenities and close to reasonable town/city for employment if needed.

#3 Relish*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (aphraell @ 01/01/2013, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are looking at the end of 2013 or early 2014 for our sea change and moving to the Great Southern region of WA ( currently in Sydney).

What are your requirements? For us being close to family for DD, good schools, nice weather, affordable land (semi-rural for us), good amenities and close to reasonable town/city for employment if needed.

Pretty much the same, except we'll be heading away from family Tounge1.gif  I'd like somewhere that's not too isolated, I grew up in rural WA in the middle of nowhere  and don't want to do that again. Somewhere quiet, low crime rate, with at least a couple of shops, decent employment opportunities and a local hospital would be ideal. I want the ocean, DP wants the trees, so somewhere close to both would be a winner!

#4 Feral Alpacas

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

If you have young kids, I would think twice about moving to a farm of more than a few acres. We have 22 acres but we are going to sell because DH currently spends nearly every weekend doing farm work- spraying weeds, fixing fences, general maintenence etc, plus we have sunk about 25k just in essential repairs. DH also works FT in a high-end executive role, so he is tired of not having time with myself and DDs.

A few acres would be ok though. We are in the southern NSW tablelands, just outside Canberra.

#5 Relish*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (aphraell @ 01/01/2013, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty much the same, except we'll be heading away from family Tounge1.gif  I'd like somewhere that's not too isolated, I grew up in rural WA in the middle of nowhere  and don't want to do that again. Somewhere quiet, low crime rate, with at least a couple of shops, decent employment opportunities and a local hospital would be ideal. I want the ocean, DP wants the trees, so somewhere close to both would be a winner!

#6 mollybot

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

You may steal my dream original.gif I think that Denmark in SW WA is perfect - the land is still quite cheap and its close to Albany for work/hospital etc.

It has quite a hippy/alternative reputation, which I thought was less than Margaret River to be quite honest. Best of all, it has both Forest and Sea.

I'll fight you for a job there original.gif !!

#7 aphraell

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Sounds like we might all be neighbors!!

We are looking at a couple if small blocks around albany between 1.5 to 5 acres - bug enough for a nice big house, a small orchard, vege garden and some crooks. 10mins to the beach or to town and plenty of trees around.

I second the idea of not getting too big a block - we currently have a 400 acre farm a few hours from Sydney that was going to be our tree change but its just waaay too big as we don't want to swap full time city jobs for full time farmer jobs

#8 mitty82

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

I would love to shift my family to Hervey Bay, went there for a holiday and loved it. In qld housing is pretty good priced compared to where we are.

#9 indy's guys

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

We keep dreaming about  a seachange but ours might end up waiting till retirement. When we were considering options with a view to employment and schooling etc, we considered Busselton area as close to Bunbury for work, and also Denmark (same reasoning re Albany). We thought that Denmark might be a little cold for us and too far from Perth for friends to come visiting too often, but if that is not an issue for you then Denmark would be lovely I think. I hear that a lot of the Margaret River people have moved/are moving to Denmark as MR is becoming too suburban.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.