How do you store potatoes?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 luke's mummu

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Our wooden potato box just broke (a wedding present from a bridesmaid almost 10 years ago -ouch!!!). We have a VERY small kitchen and I don't really want to buy another stand alone box just for potatoes. How do you store them? Is an open plastic box under the sink OK? (no chemicals stored there). Or are there better places/ideas?

Thanks, Lisa

#2 erindiv

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I store mine in an open plastic tub in my pantry.

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I store mine in a cardboard box in the bottom of the pantry.

#4 HollyOllyOxenfree

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I got one of the Tupperware Veg Out containers a little while ago and store them in that in a cupboard. Has made them last a lot longer

#5 Camizebra

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I store mine in the fridge.  From other posts, I take it I am well in the minority!

#6 ChunkyChook

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (erindiv @ 01/01/2013, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same but I line the bottom with paper towel , I'm not sure why though :/

#7 ~chiquita~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (erindiv @ 01/01/2013, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do this too.

#8 dae-gu

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I store mine in a cane basket, lined with kitchen paper, in my pantry.

#9 imamumto3

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 01/01/2013, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got one of the Tupperware Veg Out containers a little while ago and store them in that in a cupboard. Has made them last a lot longer

I have this too, it sits in the bottom of my pantry.  I store onions and garlic in it too

#10 wiggles

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

I have one of those wooden boxes (top part for potatoes and a drawer underneath for onions). When I lived in a smallish villa I had those stackable plastic vegie shelves. I've seen them in big w.

#11 Airene

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

The best places to store potatoes are cool, dark, ventilated rooms, closets and cabinets. I use cardboard boxes for storing the potatoes. Paper bags and mesh bags also do well because these offer good ventilation.

#12 lozoodle

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Open plastic tub in my pantry

#13 laridae

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Bottom of the pantry, or if I get a big bag - in the 'store room' which has no windows.  Best in a dark place.

#14 countrymel

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Potatoes need to be in a cool, dry, well ventilated, dark place.

Under the sink would be too damp I would be guessing.

I have a dedicated potato cupboard!  (I think it may have been the place for the bin for the previous owners?)  and I keep the different types (usually 3) in their own paper or hessian sacks in there.

*disclaimer*
My name is Countrymel and I have a potato addiction.

#15 Lainskii

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I have a hessian potato bag that sits in the bottom of the pantry. One of the more useful presents from MIL It looks a bit like this.

http://www.cn-ice.com/large-potato-storage-case-p-2578.html

#16 aussierach

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Camizebra @ 01/01/2013, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I store mine in the fridge.  From other posts, I take it I am well in the minority!

me too fridge but I also only by 2kg at a time

#17 Radical Fembo Bull

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Still looking for somewhere cool enough in the new house -- but not the fridge which tends to stop them going crispy when roasted.

After cooking I store them on my butt biggrin.gif

#18 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (The Gentle Kitteh @ 03/01/2013, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After cooking I store them on my butt biggrin.gif

roll2.gif

Mine are in one of those stackable plastic vege basket thingies at the bottom of the pantry. Potatoes, sweet potatoes and ginger in the top basket, onions and garlic in the bottom one.

I'm probably doing it wrong though. I read that one of the above shouldn't be stored with another of the above, but I can't remember which combination so I just toss them in and make sure I eat them nice and quick. (Another hopeless potato addict here, I usually have at least two varieties on hand).

#19 my2earthangels

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

In the fridge, hubby was  a fruiterer in past employment, and they always kept them in the fridge at the wholesale market. They will keep for months in the fridge.

#20 s'peachykeen

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

In a paper bag in a drawer. Its dark and dry which I figure is the aim.

#21 twilightangel

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Im another person who stores potatoes in the fridge after being told they will keep longer if stored in the fridge.

#22 kandj

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I have only just moved mine from the fridge to the pantry....but that was mainly because this time of year we tend to need all the fridge space for storing things like hams and stuff original.gif I think I'll probably move them back to the fridge purely because I forget I have them if they are in the pantry original.gif

#23 Miranda Grace

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I did keep them in the fridge but noticed they always tasted sweeter. I now keep them in the bottom of the pantry.

#24 netballgirls

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

I keep min in the fridge too, I used to keep them in the cupboard but I think they seem to last a little bit longer in the fridge.

#25 CharliMarley

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Potatoes last longer without sprouting if they are kept in a dark place. A container lined with a hessian bag and placed in a dark place, is the best way to store them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.