How much do you spend on school shoes?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 mitty82

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

How much do you spend on your kids school shoes?

Do you go for the cheap ones from big w/kmart/target?

Do you go to a shoe shop and get them professionally fitted and spend a decent amount on shoes?

I just wonder this after an FB question and a few comments of parents saying they have given up and are just buying cheap shoes instead of spending a decent amount.

I used too, but found they either didnt last or my daughter found them uncomfortable. This year I had to buy 3 pairs, 2 pairs for my daughter(black dress shoes, and joggers) and 1 pair for my son(joggers). I spent $180.00 all up on the 3 with a 20% discount (so would of cost me over $200 without a discount). We went and got them fitted as I have done for the last 6 years.

If you dont get decent shoes why not?

I know that I cant wear cheap shoes asthey hurt my feet and they throb at the end of the day....so I dont buy myself cheap shoes and my childrens feet are growing so want the best fitting shoes for them.

#2 ~sydblue~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

I buy the cheaper black dress shoes, only because they only wear them on special assembly days which is maybe once a month.
I spend more money on their runners, because they wear them almost every day and then DD13 also uses hers for fitness work outside school.

#3 Chookin

I have bought cheap and I have bought expensive and either way we have gone through at least 3 pairs. Until last year and I bought a pair of lynx black joggers about $70 for ds and what do you know they lasted all year. Am getting them again. Dd got an expensive pair of t-bar type and they lasted not even 2 terms before sole cracked in half. Not even thinking about getting school stuff yet though!

Edited by Chookin, 02 January 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#4 ~Mo+Moosh~

Last year (FYOS) I spent $100 on a pair of leather Clark's for DS. Honestly for the cost the quality wasn't that great.

This year I'll still spend decent money and get them professionally fitted but we're going to look for a more runner style in the hope they last a bit better.

#5 Semantics

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I had to buy 3 pairs this year - all were $120 with 20% off.  My eldest went through 3 pairs of shoes last year - so rough on them sad.gif.  Regardless I do not buy cheap shoes as their feet are still developing and it is crucial for them to have well fitting, supportive shoes.

#6 mitty82

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (Chookin @ 02/01/2013, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have bought cheap and I have bought expensive and either way we have gone through at lest 3 pairs. Until last year and I bought a pair of lynx black joggers about $70 for ds and what do you know they lasted all year. Am getting them again. Dd got an expensive pair of t-bar type and they lasted not even 2 terms before sole cracked in half. Not even thinking about testing school stuff yet!

We buy the lynx because i know they can last a year unless they outgrow them. THe dress shoes we a significantly dearer $99 not discounted. Im not even talking about expensive just the middle ones I guess. We need them for band and two days a week when my daughter wears the formal uniform.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

It's been 8 years since I bought school shoes but I always spent a lot of money having them fitted and getting good quality ones. I have no idea whether the quality is still the same.

IME they lasted all year. I ensured that good leather shoes were cleaned and polished regularly as this helped preserve the leather. If you treat them well, they last longer....scuffs can get a coat of nugget over them  original.gif

For me it was worth the $80-$100 (as it was back then) than paying $30 and having to replace them every couple of months.

#8 mitty82

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I guess I seen the big w and kmart catalogues with $10.00 school shoes in them and wonder does anyone ever buy them?

Yes that reminds me have to buy protector stuff for the shoes helps with the wet weather which is what i found that wrecks shoes faster.

Even the amount I spent for 3 shoes isnt that bad really....but some people bawked at it saying you spent that much. huh.gif

#9 Bella_a1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

For DDs FYOS of school we got her the Clarks black joggers, they lasted the full year and DS wore them all last year to Kindy.  They are still going strong and if it wasn't for DS dragging his toes when riding bikes they would be perfect.  For Year One for DD I bought her Clarks velcro dress shoes, they as well are still going strong and now DS will be wearing them this year as they still have plenty of life left and DD has grown out of them.  The dress shoes cost about $89 and I reckon I have had my moneys worth out of them, I will definitely be getting her Clarks again.

#10 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

DD's school has never required "school shoes as such", they've always been happy for the kids to wear runners.

DD has very hard to fit feet so I have to get her fitted at Athletes Foot. Not only are her feet constantly growing, but she plays ALOT of sport so we go through a pair of runners a term. It's not unusual for me to be shelling out around $900 a year just on runners for her.

If not for her foot problem, I'd have no dramas about buying Kmart sneakers for her. I buy them for myself and they're fine.

#11 Jeck

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

I love the lynx school shoes, have had them the past 2 yrs, have lasted all year, cost about $90.00.... then we have to have white sneakers, love the clarks white/grey sneakers, last all year, about $70.00, so all up spend over $300 on school shoes.... kids love these brands....

#12 WhatWouldBuffyDo?

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

I will buy a $60 pair for DD1 as they last her for over a year if she has the inserts in them.

DD2 - she gets cheaper shoes (Aldi ones for $15 are actually quite good) because they only last a term for her - two if lucky.  It's the way she walks, they all get scraped along the toe and she ends up with holes.  

I think Grosby are a good brand, and you can get these at Big W for about $30, so good does't necessarily mean spending a fortune.

#13 Fr0g

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

$110 for each kid - 'The Athletes Foot' sell the Ascent black school shoes I buy.  They last all year and are great quality, lightweight and look good.

(And yes, of course there are those that buy super cheap shoes - I've been there/ done that too, but never got value).

Edited by FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog, 02 January 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#14 baddmammajamma

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Our school requires formal school shoes (no black runners allowed). I usually get Clark shoes, which run about $100+ / pair and inexpensive white sport shoes from Big W.

This year, I have ordered white sport shoes from the U.S.

Total cost for 2 pairs of shoes: ~ $140 per kid. Ouch.

Is it any wonder why I haven't responded to "How much would YOU spend on a pair of new shoes for yourself?"  wink.gif  What new shoes?!

#15 Iwantitall

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

Wow, my boys must be rough on shoes!  We went through 5 pairs of Lynx between them last year (including 1pair w returned with in 2 weeks as the sole was falling apart). Needless to say.....not buying Lynx again.  We had a lot of success with New Balance shoes however so will be using them again this year.

#16 mitty82

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 02/01/2013, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our school requires formal school shoes (no black runners allowed). I usually get Clark shoes, which run about $100+ / pair and inexpensive white sport shoes from Big W.

This year, I have ordered white sport shoes from the U.S.

Total cost for 2 pairs of shoes: ~ $140 per kid. Ouch.

Is it any wonder why I haven't responded to "How much would YOU spend on a pair of new shoes for yourself?"  wink.gif  What new shoes?!

lol agree....though i have to bite the bullet and buy some for work where i am on my feet the entire day. A past broken ankle and severely sprained one make this impossible to find decent fitting and comfy shoes. My shoes nearly cost $200 though they last a year or more but am starting to get that not comfy feel again and pain.

#17 twinboys

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Bought each boy 2 pairs of the proper leather school shoes for FYOS and they lasted 6 months each time as they were being terribly scuffed.
Then bought them the black runner style from Payless/Spendless and these shoes only lasted a term before the soles just became full of holes. I tried 3 pairs for each boy before giving up with them

Then sent DH to buy them school shoes and he ended up buying them a pair of the Black Lynx leather runner style and they have lasted 1 term and still look fantastic!
Will buy these ones again when new shoes are needed!

#18 mitty82

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (beljane @ 02/01/2013, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, my boys must be rough on shoes!  We went through 5 pairs of Lynx between them last year (including 1pair w returned with in 2 weeks as the sole was falling apart). Needless to say.....not buying Lynx again.  We had a lot of success with New Balance shoes however so will be using them again this year.

I found out ages ago that there were always two lynx at my shoe shop I go too. One was light but the other a bit heavier....the heavier ones I found never lasted as long but the lighter ones did. The black lynx leather ? jogger always lasts the longest not the other lynx sports shoes with the material top.

#19 gina70

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

DD2  starts highschool this year and needs brown leather school shoes, I am taking her to Athletes Foot tomorrow, not sure how much they will cost?  Maybe $100- $150ish?  She also needs white sandshoes, not sure whether I will get them there or not.  DD1:  her shoes are fine from last year,  her feet have stopped growing.

#20 Phascogale

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I guess I seen the big w and kmart catalogues with $10.00 school shoes in them and wonder does anyone ever buy them?
They aren't very good quality usually.

What I find with these is that the 'leather' (I mean vinyl) cracks very quickly and often there is very little padding on the inside so they become uncomfortable very quickly.  You're lucky to get a term out of them.

I bought a pair of similar shoes (from Big W) when I had to change schools for my daughter and they required black lace ups and I really only needed them for a term.  

They also scuffed very quickly ie within a week or two.

Usually I buy 'cheaper' shoes on special.  I've had a good run with Bata or Grosby.  I have 3 kids and back to school costs become a little prohibitive.  I also have to get them all new runners in the next couple of weeks too.  I've put that off the last couple of months knowing that their feet were likely to grow over summer and no one here wears shoes over the holidays!

#21 Soontobegran

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Waterproofing and nuggeting them does help preserve them. It helps stop them cracking and scuffing and when you pay big money it is worth it.
I remember 'back in my day' we had school shoes and church shoes and my dad would every night cover the kitchen bench with newspaper and polish 4 lots of school shoes for us. He is 87 and still polishes his shoes daily original.gif

#22 happygurl06

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

FYOS we got Clark's and they lasted until June when she grew out if them.  Since then we have bought lynx as they fit better with her orthotics.  We tend to get 6 months out if them due to both wear and fit.  There us no way I would get cheap poorly fitted shoes for school as she is on them all day every day.

Even before her need for orthotics I always got proper fitted shoes at $70-100.  Maybe it comes from my mum who although we didn't have a lot of money growing up we always had good well fitted shoes.

#23 Jekaho

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Our boy hasn't started school yet, but I already try to only buy properly fitted shoes - sneakers and sandals. No cheapies from Target/Kmart (except crocs or thongs which he only wears at grandparents place to keep him off the carpet - dustmite allergy). Although we've been pretty "lucky" as his feet haven't grown really fast, so he gets a season at least out of each pair.

When he starts school we will continue to go to the same shoe shop to get properly fitted shoes.

#24 mombasa

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

$100 and get them professionally fitted.

#25 =R2=

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

A lot. I get them professionally fitted.

DD1 (8) has wide feet and is wearing Ascent joggers and formal shoes this year.

Ascent Apex
Ascent Defender Joggers

They are around $100 each and are never on sale. However, I know they will withstand her abuse as she's very rough on her shoes and she plays soccer and handball on hard surfaces during breaks.

DD2 (6) has narrow feet and not as rough on her shoes. I'm getting her a pair of ROCs like last years as they suit her feet well and I was very happy with the quality. For running shoes I got her a pair of velcro ones from Clarks.

ROC Kart T-bar
Clarks Ventura Joggers

I think Grosby Durables are fine as a budget option TBH as long as the children's feet suit them. They're a bit on the wide so doesn't suit DD2's skinny feet otherwise I'd be happy to buy them. I would only consider getting $10 KMart ones if we need something to tide them over or to just wear to concerts etc.

I would never buy Clarks formal shoes in Australia again as they are so expensive (I mean $139 really???) when I can get them less than half that price from the UK and is much better quality. I'd rather have the kids fitted there though rather than guessing their size and getting the ILs to buy them for us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.