Help! I need a new vacuum cleaner

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 travelmum

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

I tried to do Housework today in celebration of the new year but my vacuum cleaner is crap!
Help me buy a new one!!!
I have a 4 year old girl and a 1 year old crawling boyI also have a cat!
I need one that sucks up hair and everything else off the floor!
Which one do you have????

#2 laridae

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

I have a Dyson barrel vac - the pet/allergy one.  It does a good job.

#3 Cloria

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

I have a Dyson DC39 Animal - it picks up everything!
Bagless and really easy to clean out if you get something nasty in there (DP sucked up vomit with it one night...)

#4 MagsJee

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Will first, second and third the DC23 Motorhead.  It is brilliant and amazing and wonderful.  You will not believe how much it sucks up, we certainly didn't.

eta: We have 4 cats who all believe in sharing the wonder of their fur coats.  We ended up getting 2 dysons, the DC23 for 'proper' vacuuming and a DC44 Animal (handheld) for quick pick up of little spills.

feta: corrected the dyson model

Edited by MagsJee, 02 January 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#5 RichardParker

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

I have a vax Mach 3 bag less and it is sh*te.  Every time I use it I draft a letter in my head to the manufacturers about the poor design.

#6 strawberrycakes

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

LOL well I was going to say don't get a Dyson...  I have the DC19 which is 3 years old & have had nothing but problems with it.
Lucky I had a 2 year warranty because in that time I went through 3 Turbine Heads because they kept breaking.  I have now bought the Flat Out Tool which I find has better suction however I have a dog & cat that drop hair & tbh I don't think my Dyson does an overly great job on getting it all.

Maybe it is just my model of Dyson? but after getting one based on all the rave reports on Dysons I have not been convinced that it the best.

#7 jenniferaniston

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have a dyson that I love as in it does suck everything up, but gees the pressure while vacc the floors is quite strong! Wish you could turn it down like I can with my mums Miele.

#8 i-candi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I have two Dysons original.gif

First one is old but perfect working order. The power head we bought broke once and they sent a new one no questions asked.

My next love is my new Dyson, it's a DC44 animal. It's one of those stick ones that are cordless, I'm sooo in love with it. I can't vac the whole house on one charge but I can do most. We have a German Shepherd that lives almost 100% of the time in the house so the house is always full of dog hair. I got the DC44 really only to pick up dog hair on a daily basis so I don't have to get the whole vac out. So far I've not needed to get the big vac out. DH will usually get the big vac because that's what he prefers to use but then again he doesn't vac every day!

Best of all I can just ask the kids to do a quick vac and they will. original.gif

ETA we have a large house.

Edited by i-candi, 02 January 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#9 mummabear

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

I have a DC29 Dyson and its brilliant! Best vacuum I have ever had and I have had a few!!

Edited by mummabear, 02 January 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#10 Jekaho

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

We have a Dyson (not sure of the model) - has served us really well so far (had it 6 years).

#11 Duck.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

We have the dyson upright allergy and love it!
The amount of crap it sucked up was unbelievable

#12 mombasa

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

We just bought our second Dyson, our first one just died after 12 years, we also have the Dyson handheld, love them both.

Edited by mombasa, 02 January 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#13 ~benita~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I just bought the Dyson DC23 on sale at Harvey Norman discounted from $1099 to $699 - they are normally discounted to $949.  Bargain.  Replaced my old DC23 that is 8 years old and has suffered through 2 renovations with is.  The motorhead on carpet is AMAZING.

#14 Mousky

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

I have a mile cat and dog and I don't think its any better than any other vacuum with a power head. I really want a dyson next, but this thing doesn't look like dying any time soon sad.gif

#15 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I have a Dyson DC23, best $1000 I never spent on a vacuum ( I won it in a competition). It is truly awesome and gets pet hair/human hair up with no problems!

#16 FeralMama1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Also have a Dyson animal vacuum cleaner - fantastic!

#17 claptrap

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

For those of you with the Dyson animal handheld;  

when you say "handheld" do you mean cordless, or is it possible to unclip from the tall stand and just have a little handheld (like a "dustbuster") ?

I have been looking at the Electrolux "ErgoRapido", this has dual function i.e. cordless stick vac, but small handheld unclips.

#18 Chazee

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

My Dyson just died and we bought an LG Roboking. OMG i haven't looked back. It works, it really does. And no more vacuuming for me. original.gif

#19 Musk Sticks

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I have a miele - I bought it from the good guys for quite a good price.

I have 3 cats and it is very good with the cat hair.

#20 MagsJee

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (dogged @ 02/01/2013, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when you say "handheld" do you mean cordless, or is it possible to unclip from the tall stand and just have a little handheld (like a "dustbuster") ?

Yup.  We have only recently attached the charging unit to the wall but we just unclip it from there and use it as a handheld.  

They come with a range of attachments (interchangeable between every model of dyson) and we use the mattress tool to vac up all the cat hair off the sofa and chairs - best. thing. ever!  Pick up everything!

#21 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

We've got an irobot and it's all sorts of awesome original.gif

It cleans well and it saves time.

#22 i-candi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (dogged @ 02/01/2013, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been looking at the Electrolux "ErgoRapido", this has dual function i.e. cordless stick vac, but small handheld unclips.

Yep, we haven't attached it to the wall yet because I want a new fridge so old fridge will go in laundry and then I'll attach to wall original.gif

QUOTE (MagsJee @ 02/01/2013, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup.  We have only recently attached the charging unit to the wall but we just unclip it from there and use it as a handheld.  

They come with a range of attachments (interchangeable between every model of dyson) and we use the mattress tool to vac up all the cat hair off the sofa and chairs - best. thing. ever!  Pick up everything!

Really? I was told they don't so haven't tried. I would love if it the dog tool will fit the hand held!! off to check lol....

#23 Kalota

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I have a Dyson.... It is the most amazing thing ever. My fiancé even told me the other day that he, quote, "loves vacuuming!" It is a really fantastic vacuum cleaner, makes vacuuming so ridiculously easy!

However, Dysons are notoriously pricey... We had a voucher for The Good Guys, so we got ours quite cheap.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.