Toy storage...argh

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 SilverSky

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Can you tell me what you use to store your child's toys? I'm going a little crazy and want to find a solution cos I'm sick of those plastic tubs breaking!

Id like something that they could make use of when they are older we well. And something that looks nice in their room!

#2 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Shelving from Ikea, I'm not sure of the design name but are cube shaped spaces and you can get a 4 space one or an 8 space one. You can buy cubes that fit into the spaces in the shelving. We've got a white one in bub's room and a red one in my 9 year old step son's room. They are fairly reasonably prices but the red one was more expensive but is good for a boy of his age.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

As per PP, the Ikea Expedit cube shelf range is fantastic, we have a few in various sizes. Love them.

#4 mombasa

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Expedit from Ikea and the matching cane baskets.

#5 Mrs Feral Widget

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

We use the idea Trofast system. It's awesome.

#6 Coops07

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

I bought cubed shelving from Target. We have 2 x 9 cubes - and use the fabric storage cubes that slide in & out...

#7 Lainskii

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (lozoodle @ 02/01/2013, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As per PP, the Ikea Expedit cube shelf range is fantastic, we have a few in various sizes. Love them.

Couldn't agree more. We just bought one of these with some cloth and plastic tubs and they're great. Lots of room (got rid of 4 large plastic tubs and have my sofa back). I just wish we had room for a larger one as we could only fit the 4 x 2.

#8 Tulipa

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

A quick tip for the ikea cube shelves. If you buy the large one, don't try to stand it upright before it is fully assembled (because you are in a hurry and need the space!). It will fall to pieces and get lots of chips in it. It also makes it more unstable each time you pull it apart to move house. But I do love it. Next time I won't buy it in black though. Too much dust showing up!

#9 FeralMalinki

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

This is how I used the Ikea Expedit shelves:

I also have a wardrobe on the back wall that you can't see in the pic, that I've put 4 - 5 shelves each side, for board games, lego, puzzles, and craft supplies.

Edited by SlinkyMalinki, 02 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#10 bluecardigans

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

SlinkyMalinki - That is awesome. My toys are an absolute mess.

#11 Zahhy

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

SlinkyMalinki: Can I have your playroom? Looks awesome!

#12 s'peachykeen

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Sorry OP, hijacking your post momentarily: SlinkyMalinki, where did you get that toy kitchen? Its so cute!

Also, IKEA Trofast...

#13 jobo77

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

SlinkyMalinki I want your playroom!! original.gif

#14 Beancat

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

we use both the ikea expedit and trofast systems.  They are fanstastic and hide all of the mess

#15 FeralMalinki

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thanks, I'm a bit of an organisation freak original.gif

The kitchen is by KidKraft, we bought it from Target a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen it around for a while.  I have seen it on Deals Direct too.

The room is our 4th bedroom, though it's a slightly larger than average bedroom, and probably part of an extension the previous owners did - the 'old' end of the house was built in the 1920s.  

#16 Jenferal

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have toy room envy sad.gif

That looks great and would never stay that neat for more than 3 minutes lol.

#17 belinda1976

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'm a big fan of the Ikea expedit too - both my girls have them in their rooms.  The downfall is that I wish Ikea make more colours in the canvas storage cubes.  I have seen them in Bunnings though in different colours.

Does anyone know where else you are able to buy cubes from that fit the expedit?

Sorry to hijack the thread!

#18 TopsyTurvy

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Another Expedit lover here original.gif

In DS playroom we now have 3 units including the one with the TV section.  I love it!  Will take a photo tonight after I have tidied Tounge1.gif

#19 50ftqueenie

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

After suffering some mild anxiety at the toy overload that was Christmas, we made a trip to Ikea on New Years Day. We have two 4x2 expedit shelving units ready to assemble this weekend.

#20 Jenferal

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I wish we had an Ikea in Canberra sad.gif

#21 laridae

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 02/01/2013, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish we had an Ikea in Canberra sad.gif

I've found that Officeworks and Fantastic Furniture have very similar things to the Ikea shelving.  There are no Ikea's in Tassie either...

#22 hoohoobump

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think Mor-Stor cubes fit the Expedit.

http://www.mor-stor.com.au/Cooper-Canvas-S...-Play-Room.html

Edited to add link- and on sale!

Edited by hoohoobump, 02 January 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#23 Velouria

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

hear hear re the Canberra Ikea. I heard somehwere it's based on population or something? I can't imagine it wouldn't make a bomb here on cube shelving alone!

#24 k10

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

We have just finished assembling  room full of Expedits for the playroom (looks like an Ikea showroom!) - the are brilliant.  We got the Clever Cube Storage canvas boxes from Bunnings and they fit perfectly and have a better range of colours than Ikea - they are $9 each. Bunnings also sell the 'Clever Cube Storage' shelving which is similar to the Expedit.  We like the look of the Expedit better though, it looks sturdier and I suspect it is.  I'm only halfway through filling the shelves but it has already made a huge difference.  DS1 is playing with heaps of old toys that were hidden in plastic tubs before ... now that he can see everything he is wanting to play with them and amazingly put them away!!

#25 frozie

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Bunnings have a pretty much identical cube storage system as the expedit from Ikea.  I saw them in there the other day but only white I think.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.