Watching planes at the airport
Worth the $60 to get there

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OscarAndTilly

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

I've been looking for things to do with DS5 during the holidays and thought a trip to Sydney airport might be fun.

As I don't have access to a car it would involve taking a train from central coast and would cost $60 return for Ds and I.

Has anyone else taken thei child to the airport to watch the planes?

Any other suggestions for activities that would be easily accessible by public transport?

We are planning a trip to aquarium and Madame tassauds and possible trip to the zoo and Brooklyn for picnic and play

#2 livvie7586

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

i was taken plane watching as a kid, always fun original.gif  but we never had to pay a huge amount to go

Are you thinking taronga zoo?  they have the dinosaurs there atm (we're off to the zoo on saturday, and from looking online the dinosaurs look like lots of fun)

#3 s'peachykeen

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

My brother takes his 2 and 4 yo boys to the airport about once a fortnight - they all love it  original.gif

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

My kids love to do so when dropping someone off or picking the, up.

Also consider Manly Ferry trip.

My kids loved the Maratime museum last holidays. They had a kids pirate display.

#5 ellebelle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Would it be cheaper to get to a smaller one? Say Newcastle?

#6 Frockme

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Maybe find a nice park in the inner west to settle down in for a few hours. The coffee will be better.

#7 ~BT~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

If you use public transport on Sundays it will only cost $2.50 I think

#8 Jekaho

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

My hubby has taken our son to Sydney Airport to watch planes before. Not as expensive a trip for us (already in Sydney, and son was under 3), and they both enjoyed it. I don't know if it's worth $60 though. If you don't mind walking, you can get off the train at Mascot station and it's an easy 10 minute walk - saves a fair bit of money!

Our son loves Luna Park - he and hubby went yesterday.

ETA: if you go on a Sunday it's $2.50 unlimited transport BUT you still have to pay a station access fee at the airport stations - info here.

Edited by Jekaho, 02 January 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#9 andyk

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (ellebelle @ 02/01/2013, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would it be cheaper to get to a smaller one? Say Newcastle?

Public transport access to Newcastle airport is iffy at best. There is no train, you would have to look at buses, plus it's a fair way from town.

#10 Bunsen

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Not sure how near it is to the station but the Ikea at Tempe is good for plane spotting - the cafe over looks the airport, has kept my boys happy on many a shopping trip!

#11 AMPSyd

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Sydney Airport used to be a family outing on a regular basis. I LOVED it and as a kid wanted to work at an airport. I went on to work for Qantas at the International for 12 years!!!!!

There is just something about watching planes taking off - they are so massive and they take off so gracefully. I think the domestic terminals would be better for plane watching.

We looked into Madame Tussards - very expensive.

2.50 on a Sunday gives you access to trains, busses, and ferrys. What about a trip to Manly - train to Circular Quay and ferry from there to Manly.

#12 Swahili

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I think it's money well spent, but then, I'm a bit of a watching-planes-take-off nerd!

#13 casime

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Is there a plane museum somewhere that you could get to?  Might cost the same and be more 'hand-on' for him.   Sorry, I don't know Sydney all that well.  I can get from Nepean Shores to the dog grounds and back and that's about it lol!

#14 ~Karla~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I take my twins to the train station to watch trains a few times a wee and the airport to watch planes probably once a month. We've also been known to take a packed lunch and sit across the road from the fire station in the car hoping to see a fire engine (this works best on the "engine washing" days).  They love it, but they are autistic and are obsessed with vehicles (especially trains and fire engines). I'm not sure if all kids would get so much pleasure out of it. wink.gif

#15 Paladin

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

You could always get a bus from central (I think) to Brighton-Le-Sands and watch the planes land and take off over the water, whilst having a swim and eating fish and chips.

#16 LittleMissPink

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

You can see planes landing and taking off from the cafe at the new Ikea in Tempe...really close! Can see them parked at the terminal too...

#17 Azadel

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Get off the train at Burwood and get the 400 to the airport. It's the only bus which goes through the airport. It's the cheapskate plane spotters secret. IMO the viewing deck at the international terminal doesn't have great views. Better views from domestic.  You can get a good look at planes parked at the terminal from the international terminal food court but can't see take offs particularly well.
Though I do agree the view from the cafeteria at Ikea is pretty good. You can get the 422 from Central to Tempe. Tempe station isn't particularly close to Ikea.

Edited by Azadel, 02 January 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#18 bossy-boots

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I second paladins idea, a much nicer and hopefully cheaper day out!
Fiona

#19 mum201

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Paladin @ 02/01/2013, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could always get a bus from central (I think) to Brighton-Le-Sands and watch the planes land and take off over the water, whilst having a swim and eating fish and chips.

Exceptional idea

#20 i-candi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

If you do make it into the terminal Qantas have a museum of sorts, it has a great view as well.

#21 Fire_fly

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I am not to up on the locations around Sydney but I do know that Bankstown airport has an awesome aviation museam and lots of cool planes to watch. They aren't the big ones but there are lots of variety especially in the museam.

This is the link to the museam

http://www.aamb.com.au/

Edited by Fire_fly, 02 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#22 OscarAndTilly

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Thanks everyone for replying and giving me options.

I am clueless when it comes to getting around Sydney. Will definately look into going to the airport.

#23 ekbaby

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

The 400 bus is a good tip, if you are coming from the Coast you could change trains at Strathfield for one that stops at Burwood.

The aquarium and zoo are pretty pricey, and the aquarium tends to have long lines in school holidays- you might be able to pre-purchase tickets online and save the queue?

Other cheap things to do in Sydney that you can get to by public transport-

- Maritime Museum- it's free to go into the main part of the museum, but you have to pay extra to go onto the boats. It's in Darling Harbour too. Darling Harbour also has a great kids playground/water play area, buskers, a giant duck will be there for the Sydney Festival, lots of food places/ice cream shops, boats to look at- it's a good place for a day out with kids. You can get the light rail or monorail there (if your kid is into that). Or walk from Central. If you go on Sunday the light rail ticket is included in the $2.50 deal (but not monorail).
- Powerhouse Museum is only about $10 for adults, $6 for kids, and is also near Darling Harbour. Can walk there from Central (about 10 mins). You could go and get lunch in Chinatown afterwards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.