Would you go to Europe by yourself with 2 small kids?

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

My cousin is getting married in Italy in 2014 and myself, parents and brother are all going. I'll have a 11 month old and a 2y8m old. It'll be okay getting over there as my parents and brother will be able to help out, but. My parents are going to continue on to England and Europe and I'd either need to come home by myself with the kids, or I was thinking of maybe going for a week or two somewhere else in Europe.

I won't be able to tag along with my parents so will be on my own with an 11 month old and the 2y8m old. I'm not sure where I'll go yet either.

Do you reckon that would be nuts? Or two hard to get around with 2 little kids? I've never travelled on my own before let alone with 2 kids!

#2 PurplePaperFrog

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'd just go to Italy for the wedding and come back.

I don't think I'd enjoy any part of Europe wrangling two little ones around with me.

#3 elizabethany

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

If it was just the baby, I would say it will be a challenge, but go for it.  Add in a toddler as well? No chance.  Come home, and enjoy a europe trip when they are bigger or you found someone who can look after them for a weeks holiday.

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (PurplePaperFrog @ 02/01/2013, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd just go to Italy for the wedding and come back.

I don't think I'd enjoy any part of Europe wrangling two little ones around with me.

I'd be going to Napoli for 10 days but hoping to go to Sorrento and maybe Rome with my parents as I think 10 days with my non English speaking relatives in Napoli might be boring for the kids.

Yeah I have no idea how hard it will be especially since I've never travelled, I think I could do it If it was just DS but not sure what the next one will be like.

#5 cb2

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I have travelled with kids to Europe and DH and I strongly advise NOT to do it alone!
Go to the wedding and come home.
There is so much going on and you have to think about how to get around, maps, time tables, etc and it is so much easier with another adult not necessairly to help out with the kids but to sight see and know what to do.
We were in London and went on the tube, got a map and my goodness I nearly cried when I saw it as there were lines of all different colours all over the place. DH has a very good eye for maps and he knew how to read it and how to follow it, if I was alone and had to get the tube to somewhere I literally would have just sat and cried as I found it to be quite confronting to be out of a comfort zone I didn't kn ow anything about. Besides the ages of your kids would not be all that interested in seeing the sights anyway so why waste your money and time go when they are a little older

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

The never travelled before and on your own with two kids cold be interesting.

I take it you speak Italian? That should help take some of the stress out.

From pre kids, I do not remember Rome as being very kid friendly. Cobblestones and prams can make for interesting rides plus lots of the footpaths were very narrow Talking right in centre (Spanish steps to Panthenon and the Vatican).

Generally speaking in find the  7-8 m to 24m the worst time for travel on a plane. Bubs is too big for bassinet but does not get their own seat. They are not really entertained by movies etc.

Any chance you DH could look after the kids and you go by yourself? That would be my preferred option.

Edited by lsolaBella, 02 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#7 cb2

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

OH PS
I suppose  that if you are going all that way and spending the money then you might as well see what you can as who knows when or if you will be back, but with two little ones on your own will be hard and you will most likely need a holiday when you get back to recover original.gif

#8 Akeyo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Having travelled throughout Italy earlier this year with a 3.5 yr old and 20 mth old visiting family, I would have to echo PP and say NO WAY! Although enormous fun, it was hard work enough wrangling the 2 kids and the mountain of stuff you inevitably have to take around with you, on and off trains, in and out of hotels and accommodation, sight seeing, restaurants etc and I had my DH there as well as my parents a lot of the time! I would never have attempted that on my own.

I would go over for the wedding and if you have assistance then sure, visit Rome but I would advise against travelling on your own with the kids. Especially if you have not travelled before. You want to be able to enjoy yourself after all. The flight there and back will be an endurance event all on it's own!

Good luck  wink.gif

#9 MooGuru

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Couple of things to consider:
1. How flexible are your kids? Routine can be very difficult to maintain when travelling.
2. How big is your budget? Something that may make it easier is having a base where you can leave your luggage and do washing and generally come home to. However this will limit places you can go to and also may mean doubling up on accommodation if spending a night elsewhere.
3. Depending on where you go will English be common? Are you likely to get anxious or flustered by that? Lots of places people speak fantastic English so not necessarily a major issue.
4. Could you do a trial run i.e. Fly interstate for a wkend with the kids?
5.realistically can you manage kids pus suitcases by yourself? Don't budget for public transport and assume you'll always need a taxi!

When I was little my family lived in 4 continents and travelled all the time often just with my Mum as Dad had already left earlier for work and we were following so travelling to Europe was normal and quite easy but I know others who find the idea of it terrifying!

Whatever you do you'll be flying home by yourself and that'll probably be the hardest part!

Good Luck!

#10 ekbaby

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Personally, no, I wouldn't do it on my own. With 2 kids on your own you will be outnumbered! I would go for the wedding bit only, unless you have another relative who is interested in travelling with you. (Actually, I probably wouldn't go at all given the cost of the flights to Europe, if we had $1000-2000 to spare on travel I would rather have a family holiday)

One idea might be to have a stop-over in Asia on the way back, somewhere like Sinagpore or Thailand, Bali. If you wanted to make a holiday of it, somewhere resorty where you are not travelling round every day and can pretty much just hang on the beach or pool with your kids might be more relaxing. The other bonus is that everything is cheaper, and some resorts will have kids clubs or babysitters available at inexpensive rates. In Bali you could probably hire a babysitter to help one-on-one with your 2 year old, for less than $10/hour- even if you don't feel comfortable with him being cared for without you there, you could hire them for a few hours each day to play with him nearby while you and bub relax.

However I personally still wouldn't do that, having 2 kids that age on my own 24/7 for a week I would find relentless and there would be very little time for relaxation, I would spend most of the time stressing about managing their needs.

#11 baddmammajamma

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I wouldn't do it on my own -- and especially if money is any sort of consideration, I wouldn't take on the additional travels costs (which can be very significant, even with young children) or logistical headaches.

Save your money and energy for a family holiday when the kids are older and can appreciate the travels.

I would go by myself & have a wonderful time drinking EVERYTHING in. Bon voyage!

#12 IVL

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

What about going with your parents then when they leave you head home and have a stopover on the way back at a resort somewhere? I have done a lot of travelling on my own, with and without kids and with and without DH. I think the sightseeing would be hard on your own. But if you went somewhere like Thailand or Malaysia and booked all transfers before you got there so all you had to do was step off the plane with the little ones and find your sign or the travel desk and wait to be ushered into a transfer car or bus straight to a resort then that would be fine on your own. I have done similar in Japan when DH was based in HK - I wanted to go to Japan so I booked myself and the girls who were 2 months and 2.5 yrs into a resort for a week. We had a few day trips that were organised by the resort and I hired a babysitter on a few days at lunch and dinner to help me out. I did not leave them alone but they were so wonderful with helping feed and play with the toddler whilst I was busy feeding the newborn, or they walked the newborn around in the pram whilst I had a swim with the toddler. Sometimes you need an extra set of hands so it it is more relaxed.

Staying in one place at a resort will take the pain out of having to get around with 2 kids and luggage - I think that would be the biggest challenge! You only have 2 hands. If all transfers are organised in advance you should be able to get some extra help. Also if the budget allows I would travel business class to you have some extra help on board. I have found the staff to be wonderfully helpful. The passengers can be a mixed bag however........

#13 MooGuru

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Ooh just thought of a couple more things.
Stopover at Singapore for the night worked brilliantly with nephews.
Also any chance of buddying someone for the time. I've travelled with my sister and nephews and cousin and her little one and also a friend so we weren't together the whole time just a couple of days but it was good family time and then I got to leave after a few days which meant it didn't seem like I spent the whole time with other people's kids and they had someone to help keep an eye out for the kids, bags, traon etc

#14 .Jerry.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

No way.
I cannot imagine being on the plane and having two very unsettled young children.  It would drive those around you mad, even if you were able to retain your own sanity.
Getting in and out of public transport, lugging suitcases etc would be a nightmare on your own with two.  You could do it with one, but two would be very difficult and for me, not enjoyable.

I would put the money aside and go in a few years time for a visit instead.  Or take a friend to help out.

#15 Ianthe

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Honestly I wouldn't. I think it would be a nightmare.

#16 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I suppose i should find out if the Kids are even invited to the wedding, because if they're not I probably wouldn't go anyway.

#17 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I wouldn't do it.

#18 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 02/01/2013, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose i should find out if the Kids are even invited to the wedding, because if they're not I probably wouldn't go anyway.

Probably very important. Then you would have the joy of trying to find babysitters.

#19 Frockme

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'd be very surprised if at an Italian wedding the kids weren't invited.  wink.gif  I'd go with the kids but be prepared for hard work. I wouldn't recommend travelling around too much. After the wedding id find a nice apartment in a good town and stay put.

#20 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Malaya @ 02/01/2013, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be very surprised if at an Italian wedding the kids weren't invited.  wink.gif  I'd go with the kids but be prepared for hard work. I wouldn't recommend travelling around too much. After the wedding id find a nice apartment in a good town and stay put.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, maybe I could go to Paris or London for a week and stay there. It just seems like a waste to go to all that way and spend all that money just for ten days.

But if its not feasible and lots of stress then it would be a bigger waste of time an money.

Edited by Sunnycat, 02 January 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#21 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

London Underground is not good for prams. That being said, I found a nanny service in the UK helpful. I had the nanny go with the kids and I to the zoo etc. extra set if hands at $12 ph. Also easy to walk around London if you had a double pram (inline).

Era. Most underground stations have stairs. Buses are not great either as you may be kicked off the bus if it is busy ( happened lots of times I us). I was in London with 20 mo, just turned 4yo and nearly 6yo. DH was basically at work the whole time (worked 45days straight). So I was taking the kids around.

Edited by lsolaBella, 02 January 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#22 elle-M

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

No, sorry, I wouldn't do it in a million years.

But then my children are PAINFUL balls of energy and tantrums, and are not very flexible about where they sleep (I have a 2 yr 4 mo old and a 10 month old). They drive me crazy just going to the local park for two hours, or for a family holiday a few hours drive away  biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, I am a pulled together person and generally easy-going with my kids, but a plane trip (times a few) and airports, with luggage, bags, and trying to entertain the two would honestly not be worth it for my sanity.

#23 Gudrun

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I couldn't.  I'd enjoy staying with the Italian speaking relos though and see no reason why that would bore your littlies. Maybe that bit with your parents at a pinch but I think go home or stay put.

#24 ubermum

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I would, but people think I am a bit nuts with the things I have embarked on with kids.

#25 bailee

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

On a practical level, have you checked with the airlines if they will let you fly solo with two kids? I know someone who is a single parent with twins and the airlines have not let her fly solo with two kids (approx 3 y o now). They have always told her each child must be accompanied by an adult so she's had to take someone along with her. She has flown domestically a few times and internationally once and always had to bring someone. I'm a single parent with two kids but can't be bothered flying anywhere so it hasn't happened to me, but I just thought you might like to check with the airlines that they will take you before you make a final decision.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.