turning 30!
how was it for you?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 bambiigrrl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

SOooooooooo I am turning 30 in less then 2 weeks and i am not quite sure how to feel about it! I would love some advice from all you ladies out there who have hit the big 3 0 and how did it effect you? What has life been like since? Anyone get depressed, anxious, start lying about thier age etc lol I think I am ok with it but am definatly intrested to see if anyone has any good stories or sage advice to tell me...

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Turning 30 was the turning point for DH and I to go from couple to family. So my 30's have been kid focused.

Turning 40 before I know it. Not really worried about that either cool.gif  youngest will be turning 5, so it will be my school years time.

Will try and squeeze a nice holiday for DH and I sans kids at that point though.

Eta: helps that where I live first time parents are 35-40 so having my first just after I turned 31put me as a young mum in terms of other parents around. So no lying about age.

Did have a giggle when carded a few months after I turned 30.

Eta my 30 th birthday way just going out to dinner with two other couples. No big do or anything. 40th as I said I want to escape with DH.

Edited by lsolaBella, 02 January 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#3 JRA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Jesus, 30, I can't remember that far back.

Actually it was an awesome time of my life. I had separated from my husband in about 18mths or so before, had started a new awesome job, and actually had met my now DH.

So in many ways it was really the start of my new life.

#4 Ritaroo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I have to say it didn't really change much. It felt like any other birthday.

#5 bakesgirls

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

The day I turned 30 was just like any other day for me. I felt the same as I had the day before when I was 29 and the year before when I was 28 and so on. I'm turning 31 soon, and imagine it will still be like any other day, it's certainly not something that I feel I need to lie about and say that I'm younger than I actually am.

I don't consider 30 old, nor do I consider 40 or 50 to be old.

#6 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Underwhelming.

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

It was weird. So much build up and then ... it was just another day.

I anticipate that 40 will also be in like manner Tounge1.gif

#8 cinnabubble

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Jaysus, it's only 30, not 90.

#9 feralangel

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

The years 25-35 were the best of my life ( although i'm happier now than i've ever been, and i'm turning 45 in 2 month's time - yikes!).

#10 bambiigrrl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

yeah i know its only 30 but i am just curious if it will feel different that im not in my 20s anymore...But yeah I am anticipating that i probaly wont feel that different..i think 40 will be another matter though!

#11 BetteBoop

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

As hard as it is to believe right now OP, but you will come to see 30 as young.

You haven't really started to age yet. I would suggest you enjoy the rest of your youth as much as you can. Don't waste the time being miserable or anxious over what is just another day.

#12 solongsuckers

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

I am 30 this year too, a little daunting! DH is younger than me so I am sure I will get lots of taunts about being an old fart lol

#13 lozoodle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

It wasnt a big deal. 31 was worse! Lol

#14 bunny2

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Personally, it was a time when I reflected on my teenage years and 20's and realised how many mistakes I had made. I had never really planned much or thought about what I was doing during that time so this was really the first time I had stopped and thought about the past.

So a lot of reflection and for me, living with the consequences of decisions made in my 20's. Some good and some bad. Most made hastily and with an immature mind.

#15 I'msoMerry

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I felt great turning 30. I had been fat all my twenties and had lost heaps of weight so I organised my own birthday dinner with friends. New clothes etc.

The next ten years were full of so many changes. I went through a traumatic divorce had lots of other yuck stuff happen. I remarried.

Turning 40 wasnt a big deal. I have since had my third child and my eldest became an adult which I found very strange.

Turning 44 a couple of weeks ago had a big impact. Wow How did I get that old?!!

#16 coco100

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm 30 in a few weeks too. My twenties have been busy having babies so I'm thinking my thirties will be about moving into the next stage of all the kids being at school and working more. I'm definitely looking forward to travelling OS with them as much as we can because I never travelled much before kids.

Overall though I have a wonderful life.. There is really nothing I could look around at on my 30th and be upset about.

#17 wintergirl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I had a hard time turning 30, not because I thought I was old but because I hadn't achieved what I had thought I would by then.
By the time I turned 30 my DH and I had been TTC for 5 years and done several IVF attempts, but I honestly thought by the time I was 30 I would have started a family.
So at a lovely dinner my wonderful DH had organized with our family and friends I started bawling my eye out during the speeches (I totally blame the champers wink.gif ).  
But in reality, nothing has changed, I woke up the next day feeling the same as the day before! The only thing is I feel like I need to be more responsible, I think you can get away with a lot when you are in your 20s, and the excuses just dont fly when you are 30 plus (at least I don't think).
I hope you have a wonderful birthday

#18 bambiigrrl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

yeah i do have to say i am very happy with where im at in life at the moment, when i was 18 I used to picture the sort of person i wanted to be and the sort of lifestyle i wanted to have by the time i was 30 and i am happy to say i have achieved that! It didnt happen overnight but it did happen! Guess now is the time to plan for the next 10 years and where i want to be by the time im 40!

#19 newphase

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I loved turning 30! However as I am 40 this year, I wish I knew a lot more things at 30 that I do now, so 34-38 didn't suck so much.....PND with 3rd at 35....seperation at 36....divorce, custody bullsh*t! 39 has been brilliant however so I am looking forward to a new number, new phase!! wink.gif

#20 bambiigrrl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

thanks wintergal, we are planning a big fancy dress party! I am going as a belly dancer (i made my own costume and am very proud of it!) and dh is going as a pirate! My friend who has pet snakes is coming and bringing one (how cool will i look in my belly dancing costume with a snake around my neck!) and our other friend will be doing fire twirling. Should be a lot of fun!

I only regret that i have put on 5kgs of the 10kgs i lost at the start of last year and am creeping back to a size 12 again! But I think i can still pull of the bare midriff, just barely! lol
it will also be fun to get all dolled up for once, have 2 kids under 4 doesnt allow many opportunities for dressing up! I am getting a fake tan, contact lenses, hair done, fake eyelashes etc gonna feel so glam!

Edited by bambiigrrl, 02 January 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#21 Funwith3

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Turning 30 made me feel grown up. It made me also feel more confident and mature.

#22 Luxe

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

First thought was 30... that's all. I'm only 5 years older. It's 40 that worries me. But then it's not so bad.. it's the NEW 30.

#23 StarKingdom

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 02/01/2013, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually it was an awesome time of my life. I had separated from my husband in about 18mths or so before, had started a new awesome job, and actually had met my now DH.

So in many ways it was really the start of my new life.

My experience was similar.  My divorce actually came though on my 30th birthday and I had a dinner party with my favorite people.

I'm 40 soon, and that is a bit of a different ball game...

Edited by StarKingdom, 02 January 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#24 mummy.to.one

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Was just another birthday for me, I feel more grown up saying I'm 30 no idea why. I think when you are young 30 is sooooooo old, but once you get there it's just another day.

#25 LynnyP

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I did have a bit of a mopey moment, from memory, as I was always the young one in the group and now I was just another 30 something.

However, from my perspective now, neither turning 30 or heading toward a size 12 are things of sadness!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.