Holidays = late nights for 6 yr olds
Am I the only one who disagrees??

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 FiFiLicious

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

DD is six and is just superb all.the.time. ( for the most part). She seems to have endless energy and would party all night if required and I would be pressed to read her tired signs.  This means taking her out and about is easy, she's no trouble and often engages with the adults ( but prefers to be with the kids)

However, every child needs sleep right? The odd occasion here and there isn't a problem but arguing that every other night in the hols is acceptable because - it's the holidays!! For 5 weeks?  

She sleeps well from 730 - 530/6.  A late night DOES NOT mean late sleep in, EVER!!

Am I the only one who says no to late nights to every,  or, every other night of the holidays??

#2 Mamabug

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

We have bumped bedtime out to 7.30pm for the holidays for out three older ones (7, 6 and 4).

This will be reigned back in to 7pm the week before school starts.

That said, we had the rare event of friends over for dinner tonight, so the kids were up until 9pm...and crashed the moment their heads hit the pillow.

With a 16mo, there will be no sleep in for anyone in the morning!

#3 Littleblossom

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Not the only one. Children's bedtime generally stays the same here, holidays or no.

#4 cinnabubble

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

My six year old wakes at stupid o'clock every morning. There's no way I want her staying up late. She doesn't sleep enough as it is.

Edited by cinnabubble, 02 January 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#5 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

DD is staying up later now that she is on holidays, but she does sleep in later too, so it's not like she's losing much sleep.

#6 LambChop

Holidays are for resting as well, I have mine going to bed at normal time for the most part.

#7 Oriental lily

My eldest dd who is on school holidays bed time never changes.
The only time it changes is if we are out ( rarely) or we have friends with kids (also rarely)

My kids don't know the meaning of 'sleeping in' so they don't catch up in the morning if they stayed up later at night.

Kids need their sleep for their growth and and to not be grizzle guts and drive me batty by their lack of sleep.

I also need the break from them at night.

#8 ChunkyChook

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

DD has been in bed about 7.30 but watching movies til 10 or 11  ph34r.gif

#9 censura carnero

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Our bedtime is possibly earlier in the holidays on many nights because the kids are so flogged from swimming and running around like lunatics.  My kids don't sleep in either.  Always been jealous how some families can put kids to bed late and have a sleep in.  So not us.  But a late bed time would be no more than an hour over usual bed time and that happens rarely.

#10 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Ds is 6 he's been up later than usual between christmas and New Years Eve, however now that is all over I plan to bring it back to a more normal time. He does sleep in in the mornings though so it's not a huge issue as he still gets a decent sleep.

He goes to bed at 8 pm on a normal school night, it's been anywhere from 9 - 12 pm over xmas/NYE.  
Aiming to bring it back to 8.30-9pm for the next week or so then back to 8 pm the last week of the school holidays.

#11 Propaganda

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

My child gets a later bed-time, but only by one hour. 8.30pm instead of 7.30pm.

#12 ekbaby

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

It's 10pm and my 4yr old and 1yr old are only just going to sleep now, so yes, holidays usually mean late nights every night here. They don't seem affected by it, they sleep in till 8 most mornings. If i could see they were getting negatively affected and cranky I'd make more of an effort to reign it in but it's easier to just go with the flow on holidays.

#13 amaza

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Later nights here original.gif On a school night I am so rushed getting them and myself home from school/work and having 1 hour to cook dinner, do homework, baths and do stories that I feel like I'm spending the whole time getting grumpy at them and am only a 'normal' parent for the hour or so in the mornings that we have to relax before school.

In the holidays I get home from work and talk to them about their day, hang out with them, let them play and then cook dinner, bathe them etc. It usually makes bedtime 1.5 hours later.

DS1 was shocking at the end of the school year with whinging and crying at the drop of a hat. Even though he has had later nights he has had less 'thinking' time during the day and is much more relaxed and happy. He's certainly had his batteries recharged and is less tired than he is when getting towards the end of a school term.

#14 EBeditor

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

We had a few late nights and the kids (3 & 5) were getting pretty cranky, so I am getting them back in to normal routine of 7.30 bedtime.

My daughter might sleep in if not woken by the 5 year old who never sleeps in.

#15 Alina0210

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

My kids have had later bed times during holidays and weekends if we r doing things, they have gone to bed midnight before when we have had a party but then they do sleep in so that's a plus...

#16 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

My kids have later bedtimes during the holidays. DD15 and DS10 are watching a DVD in the lounge on the fold out bed now and they'll crash there tonight!

DS13 and DS12 are away on the scout jamboree so who knows what time they'll be in bed......they're going to be ratty as anything when they get home!

I generally let the reins loosen - we spend too much time running to a schedule during the year so it's nice to just relax a bit now!

#17 JustBeige

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (FiFiLicious @ 02/01/2013, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD is six and is just superb all.the.time. ( for the most part). She seems to have endless energy and would party all night if required and I would be pressed to read her tired signs.  This means taking her out and about is easy, she's no trouble and often engages with the adults ( but prefers to be with the kids)

However, every child needs sleep right? The odd occasion here and there isn't a problem but arguing that every other night in the hols is acceptable because - it's the holidays!! For 5 weeks?  

She sleeps well from 730 - 530/6.  A late night DOES NOT mean late sleep in, EVER!!

Am I the only one who says no to late nights to every,  or, every other night of the holidays??

No I was the same at this age.

My two could have been up till 2am and still not slept past 6.  Drove us nuts.

Now they are 12 and 11 and we are having to wake them (after 8:30) every morning. yippee.  - though I may not be saying that in a few weeks when they go back to school.

We do let them stay up now till 9:30 - 10.  But that is it.  They will need to get their body clocks back into school hours and we will be doing that the week before school starts back.

#18 Heffalump

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I allow DD (7) to stay up until about 9.15pm on the holidays, then bed with lights out at 10.00pm.  I know she sneaks the light back on to read a bit more though and I pretend not to notice until about 10.30pm.  Always up and full of beans by 7.30 to 8.00am no matter what time she goes to bed.

School night bedtime has been 7.30pm with lights out at 8.00pm, but I am going to phase her into a new school night bedtime of 8.00pm with lights out at 8.30pm for the new school year as she's been finding it increasingly difficult to get to sleep before 8.30pm.

#19 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#20 kel378

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Yes  pretty relaxed bedtime here being school holidays unless it's been a busy day and kids are showing really tired whingy behavior. So holiday bedtime for DS8 and Dd6 around 8:30pm-9:30pm but they do sleep in later till about 7:30-8:30am. Normal bedtime is 8-8:30pm wake up 7-7:30am

#21 scardycat

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

We relax bedtime over the holidays too. It's nice to be able to spend some quality time after work. Plus dd always sleeps in after a late night. And yep, she stayed up til midnight nye

#22 FiFiLicious

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yes, if I could guarantee my kiddo would sleep in, I wouldn't be too concerned as it is, DD naturally wakes at 620 (?)! But since the baby, they both wake for the day at 530, no amount of late  night partying will fix that for either of them apparently!  I do envy a child who will sleep past 7 am. DD has done it a couple of times and each time ibpve gone in to check she's alive !:)

#23 cinnabubble

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Seven am? Bloodeh luxureh. If the time doesn't start with five, I consider it a good morning. I'd be relaxed about bed times if there was a chance of a sleep in.

#24 the wudges

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

We relax bed time in the holidays a little while we are on leave too, but as soon as we go back to work, it stops. We need to drop them at Grandma's etc. before getting to work on time, so they can't sleep in to make up for any late nights.  I am also wary of them being grumpy and sleep deprived for people doing us a favour and looking after them.

Edited by the wudges, 02 January 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#25 angelinaballerina

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

DS who is also 6 still goes to bed at his usual bed time of between 6pm and 6:30pm.

Occasionally we let him stay up later than usual if we are having visitors or we are out.

However - over christmas he stayed up until 8:30/9pm 3 nights in a row and it took its toll on him. We had several meltdowns over the following days which is totally out of character for him. So, it is back to only one or two late nights a week from now on.

Oh, and a late night doesn't mean a sleep in here either. He will still wake around 6am.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.