3 y/o girl's b'day party
Told not doing gifts... What to do?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TopsyTurvy

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Friends daughters b'day party in a couple of weeks and I have been told they aren't doing gifts.

Obviously I will respect the parents wishes....

But... But... But....

I don't feel right turning up empty handed.

What shall I do???

Please help EB'ers!

#2 Chelli

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

How about a balloon or a small posy of flowers for the birthday girl?

#3 Silver Girl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Make a donation to a children's charity on their behalf?

#4 Lokum

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Packet of crayons? Packet of seeds to grow something?
Mr Men book?
Nice little tokens that don't cost much or add to clutter too much either.

#5 seepi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Make a really lovely/elaborate card.

#6 beebsoferal

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Bring a plate of food. A really nice homemade card.

#7 ekbaby

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Offer to bring a plate?

We have had "no gift" parties before, and I can assure you that we really did mean it, and would not look badly on people turning up without a gift at all- in fact we appreciated it. Our place is too small and DS too overwhelmed by mountains of gifts in years before.

#8 the wudges

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I would give a book as a gift in this situation, as I would feel odd not giving a gift and figure most parents appreciate them.

#9 Chelli

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (Silver Girl @ 02/01/2013, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Make a donation to a children's charity on their behalf?

I would love this!

#10 DS1979

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I would just pop some money in a card and write that this is a small contribution towards the childs savings account.

#11 Camizebra

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Chelli @ 02/01/2013, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about a balloon or a small posy of flowers for the birthday girl?

Love both these ideas!  Very sweet...

#12 Espoir

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I would just pop some money in a card and write that this is a small contribution towards the childs savings account.

No, I personally would find that incredibly odd.

#13 Starrydawn

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Do nothing. Take child to party and don't bring a gift as requested.

#14 PatG

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Just take a card. At 3 the child isn't going to feel slighted at all and the parents will be happy to not have extra "token" stuff to deal with.  Have fun!

#15 ubermum

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Chedasha @ 03/01/2013, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do nothing. Take child to party and don't bring a gift as requested.

Exactly.

#16 DS1979

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Espoir @ 03/01/2013, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I personally would find that incredibly odd.

Really? Maybe it's just because I come from a culture where it isn't uncommon to give money as gifts that I don't see anything wrong with it. Anyways, I have done that before for my close friends children as I know what it's like to receive lots of "stuff" you don't need and it has always been grateully received!

#17 ali-song

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'd usually do card + stickers for "no gift" parties.

#18 imamumto3

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

at this time of year the child has probably received so much at Christmas that they really don't need any more toys.  my nieces birthday is next week and I feel have to bring her something being her aunty, so I'm going to buy her a dress or outfit.

#19 sarachris

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

at this time of year the child has probably received so much at Christmas that they really don't need any more toys. my nieces birthday is next week and I feel have to bring her something being her aunty, so I'm going to buy her a dress or outfit

I find this doesnt sit right with me. My daughter's birthday is 4 days after christmas, and I feel that she should get what she would have received had her birthday been in July!!! She always receives clothes off aunts and uncles ( which is 10 sets) because they beieve she got so many toys at Christmas. I feel for her when every present is clothes, its just not exciting when you are 4.

For the 'no present' thing, I just put stickers and a little note book inside a card.

#20 Jekaho

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

A personal card - drawing by your child etc.

#21 imamumto3

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (sarachris @ 03/01/2013, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find this doesnt sit right with me. My daughter's birthday is 4 days after christmas, and I feel that she should get what she would have received had her birthday been in July!!! She always receives clothes off aunts and uncles ( which is 10 sets) because they beieve she got so many toys at Christmas. I feel for her when every present is clothes, its just not exciting when you are 4.

For the 'no present' thing, I just put stickers and a little note book inside a card.

we were told no presents, but I feel bad!  her parents aren't going to get her a present because they don't want more toys, they are going to rewrap some of her Christmas presents.

#22 sarachris

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

we were told no presents, but I feel bad! her parents aren't going to get her a present because they don't want more toys, they are going to rewrap some of her Christmas presents.

Thats just wrong.
Ok, I understand the no present thing, so yes I think its good to give a gift to family, I would take a gift. Cant they give her books, cool sheets/pillow case, dress ups, pencil....the list is endless without having to buy toys and clothes. This is just a cop out on their behalf!

#23 imamumto3

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (sarachris @ 03/01/2013, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats just wrong.
Ok, I understand the no present thing, so yes I think its good to give a gift to family, I would take a gift. Cant they give her books, cool sheets/pillow case, dress ups, pencil....the list is endless without having to buy toys and clothes. This is just a cop out on their behalf!

that's what I think, I can't imagine not giving my child a birthday present, just because their birthday was close to Christmas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.