Mother feeding her kid "Celebrity Slim" shake?
Interesting scenario this morning at the hospital cafe

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

If you saw a random mother at a cafe giving her 4-5yo boy a "Celebrity Slim" shake for morning tea and making him drink it all before he was allowed a banana, what would you think? Would you say anything?

#2 Chelara

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Are you sure it was? Or was it just the shaker with a milo or something in it?

#3 missy78

I would think that perhaps the child has food issues of some kind. I think without knowing the full story, you shouldn't really make comment to her.

#4 ubermum

I'd think she was a d***head, but I wouldn't say anything. It's not poison, it's a low fat drink based on milk or whey protein I would guess.

#5 strawberrycakes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I wouldn't think anything.  There is nothing really bad in them otherwise why would adults drink them???  It's just protein & sugars but really calorie wise the boy shouldn't be needing a banana afterwards.

#6 PatG

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Maybe it is a way to get protein and vitamins into the kid. Perhaps he has issues with absorption of various things.  If he got a banana too it doesn't sound like she was trying to limit his food intake in a slimming diet kind of way.

#7 mumbo

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I would think that perhaps the child had a condition that required extra protein in their diet.  It's a protein shake is it not?

ETA: I'm almost certain I wouldn't have noticed the event in the first place.

Edited by mumbo, 03 January 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#8 Therese

I doubt I would have noticed...but if I did  I would assume there were food issues of some sort and so not think twice about it.

#9 Feral*Spikey*

If it were one of the pre-packaged ones, I'd assume there was an underlying medical condition that was causing the mum to try to pack palatable nutrients into the kid.

If it were the shake mixer only, I'd assume it was Milo. I often give DD a shake from my CS Mixers - they make awesome frothy milkshakes in seconds. wink.gif

#10 Lizzette

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 03/01/2013, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you saw a random mother at a cafe giving her 4-5yo boy a "Celebrity Slim" shake for morning tea and making him drink it all before he was allowed a banana, what would you think? Would you say anything?

What on earth would you say?  I'd be unlikely to even notice, but if I did I'd assume that she had her reasons.

#11 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Think nothing of it as I probably get 'those looks' when me and DD go to wendys or maccas.

Who knows maybe he had already eaten 5 bananas and not drank anything and that shake was a deal she made with the child so he would drink something

#12 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm always taking drinks for the kids in random containers, so if I noticed at all I'd be thinking it was just a drink.

Anyway, what's wrong with giving a kid celebrity slim? I might do a double take if the mother was giving it to an infant, but a 5 year old... what's the issue?

#13 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I was the mother. original.gif

I had one of my twins with me, who has serious food allergies and intolerances. It was actually his hypoallergenic formula (Elecare Vanilla), but I bought the "Celebrity Slim" shakers the other day as they have the little cup underneath to hold the formula powder, so I don't have to take the whole tin out with me plus a shaker with the premeasured water.

But the looks I got! And the snide passive aggressive comments. I could just imagine the way EB could have a field day with the scenario, without knowing the reality. Good to see so many of you wouldn't judge though. original.gif

#14 Lil Chickens

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

If she'd been forcing him to have coke before a banana I might have looked twice but a CS shake?  And like Livsh if it had been a baby I'd be wondering.

In any case it's not my business and I'd keep my mouth shut.

#15 EBeditor

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I probably wouldn't notice, let alone be shocked or say something. PP have covered many scenarios where a child may need a supplemental drink.

#16 FeralBob!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 03/01/2013, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just send 'em our way.

We'll fix 'em good  ph34r.gif  wink.gif

Edited by HappyNewBob!, 03 January 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#17 Niamh23

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Those things are almost 50% sugar. The kid would have got his/her entire daily sugar intake just from that. So I would think it's worrying, but I wouldn't say anything.

#18 wenchwitch

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

I limit bananas too because they cause constipation. Dd is only allowed 3 in one day because of this. If I was judged for limiting a healthy food then I would seriously be laughing as she has a very healthy balanced diet.

Or is it the protein shake you are concerned about? Nutritionally it's pretty well balanced. If a child was fussy and wasn't getting enough nutrients then I could see why this would be a palatable option.

#19 FuzzyMum

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would have been among those not to even have noticed. Had I even seen it I wouldn't have given time to even pondering it.

It really doesn't surprise me though that people were rude. When you have a child who acts unusually as a result of autism then when you are among a large group of people you become the focus of stares and comments. I just ignore it these days.

#20 Funwith3

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I had one of my twins with me, who has serious food allergies and intolerances. It was actually his hypoallergenic formula (Elecare Vanilla), but I bought the "Celebrity Slim" shakers the other day as they have the little cup underneath to hold the formula powder, so I don't have to take the whole tin out with me plus a shaker with the premeasured water.

But the looks I got! And the snide passive aggressive comments. I could just imagine the way EB could have a field day with the scenario, without knowing the reality. Good to see so many of you wouldn't judge though. original.gif

Maybe you were feeling self concious. Are you sure you weren't looking for people to say something? What kind of comments did you hear? I just can't imagine other people actually noticing or even caring that much...

FTR I certainly would not judge...

#21 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

What is wrong with people! Why do they think it is even vaguely reasonable to shoot the evils at a stranger in public let alone make snide comments!

#22 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

I would have thought nothing about it, perhaps food issue or trying to get extra calories etc.
maybe you could  put a big sticker over the Log to sop those Looks and comments.

#23 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (FuzzyMum @ 03/01/2013, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have been among those not to even have noticed. Had I even seen it I wouldn't have given time to even pondering it.

It really doesn't surprise me though that people were rude. When you have a child who acts unusually as a result of autism then when you are among a large group of people you become the focus of stares and comments. I just ignore it these days.

Try having a kid with autism acting unusually AND wearing a full arm cast (because I decided to buy the kids a trampoline for Xmas rolleyes.gif) AND drinking a "diet" shake. wink.gif He was being unusually well behaved this morning though, otherwise I imagine the reactions would have been much worse.

#24 FuzzyMum

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Livsh @ 03/01/2013, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is wrong with people! Why do they think it is even vaguely reasonable to shoot the evils at a stranger in public let alone make snide comments!

Basically because they feel they have the right to judge. They also just simply don't think beyond what they have personally experienced.

Just read your last post Karla. Sounds like recent times have been exciting around your household. I can well imagine. You poor thing. I hope it didn't get you down.

Edited by FuzzyMum, 03 January 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#25 Niamh23

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

If it was in the shaker, my first thought would be that it was just formula. But if someone was actually feeding their child "diet" shakes - well, they might as well just hand them a 2L bottle of coke.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.