is it worth buying a decent iron?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 strawberrycakes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

This may seem like a rather silly or strange question but I have never been an ironer LOL

With Dd starting school in a couple of weeks and having a uniform that will need ironing I am wondering if I should invest in a decent iron.

I have a cheapo $25 Tefal iron which is only a few months old but I hate it.  It was cheap to buy & does a cheap job too.  The temp control seems to be all over the place & since owning it I have burnt two items of my clothing so I don't use it.

I need to get a new iron so guess I am wondering if there is an iron any one can recommend that isn't overly expensive.  Also wondering, does the type of ironing board cover affect the overall quality of the iron job?  

TIA

#2 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

A what? laughing2.gif I think I own an iron, in a cupboard somewhere. I never use it.

If you will use it though, a good one will make the job quicker and easier.

#3 Bart.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think so.  I purchased a $49 Phillips iron eight-ish years ago and it's still fantastic.  Even that was on the cheap side!  I hate ironing too but some of the angst is taken out with a decent iron.

The other thing that helps is a decent ironing board.  Mine is really crap but I only remember to replace it when I'm ironing. wacko.gif  I find that if you've got a good fitting cover and a sturdy board, it speeds up the process.

(ETA: Haha, that sounded too 'Stepford Wife' for my comfort.)

Edited by Bartholomew, 03 January 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#4 B.feral3

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I wouldn't be for me. I haven't picked up an iron since my last shift at work back in November 2008!!!

#5 MintyBiscuit

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

It really does depend how much you're using it, and what for. I recently replaced my dying Breville iron with a Philips Azur, and oh my god it's brilliant. It cost quite a bit ($130 I think?), but if we were to get DH's work shirts pressed it'd cost about $30 a fortnight, so it's worth it.

Ironing board and cover is definitely important too. I replaced the cover at the same time, but unfortunately it seems that it's the ironing board itself that needs replacing. There is an awesome one I want to get that has flip out wings to make business shirts easier to iron, but it's quite pricey. My sister bought a pretty good one for around $50.

ETA - When you go shopping for a new one, make sure you handle it a bit and try it out. I find that I need a heavy iron to make the work quicker, but not so heavy that it's hurting my arms to do 10-12 business shirts in a sitting. Too lightweight and they just don't do the job.

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 03 January 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#6 Feral timtam

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

If you are ironing on a regular basis then yes it most definitely is worth it.
We have this one http://www.philips.com.au/c/irons/3300-ser...F75.app101-drp1

Compared to the $20 generic Big W one Mum had when I was at school it is an absolute dream to use. DH is an ironing snob who does the bulk of the ironing here and he picks our irons. I used to spend ages ironing the creases out of one of my favourite pairs of slacks with Mum's iron, the iron DH picked out does the job in a single 10 second pass!

#7 Camizebra

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

IMO yes!  Plus what a PP mentioned about a decent ironing board.  Just makes a tedious job easier, especially with good steam options.

#8 josh2003

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am an ironer! My husband wears suits/shirts for work, and my son has a shirt as part of his uniform, so it's unavoidable for me.

I used to have a Laura Star ($750!) and although it was great to use, mine was a lemon that kept breaking. So I replaced it with a Tefal steam iron like this a few years ago, and it's been fantastic.

After using a steam iron, you can't go back to a regular iron... it kind of feels like you're ironing the old fashioned way with cast iron and coals!

#9 AllyK81

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

An iron is one thing you cannot scrimp on IMHO. DH and I are both professionals, so iron a LOT of shirts. I usually just go to DJ's and buy the most expensive one. They last for years and make the job so much easier and quicker.

Same with hairdryers.

#10 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Iron? Huh?

#11 IsolaBella

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

We upgraded from a $29 10 yo cheapie to a $129 more expensive one...., but we got into bad habits in London so DHs work shirts are now outsourced.

#12 ~Nodnol~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Lol. No.  laughing2.gif

#13 Goggie

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (AllyK81 @ 03/01/2013, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An iron is one thing you cannot scrimp on IMHO. DH and I are both professionals, so iron a LOT of shirts. I usually just go to DJ's and buy the most expensive one. They last for years and make the job so much easier and quicker.

See I disagree with this based on my last iron purchase. Spent $130 2 years ago and it stopped working a month ago. Yep it did a good job but it did not last nearly long enough IMO. I will be spending around $50 to replace it this time.

#14 Therese

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

For me. No.

If you actually ironed clothes regularly, yes I am sure it would be original.gif

#15 galba

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

DHs shirts, girls school dresses and boys scholl shirts all need to be ironed.  I went to the UK for 2 weeks and while I was gone DH had gone out and bought a $400 iron from DJs.  I cannot believe the difference - the steam makes ironing a complete breeze.  I was won over on my first shirt!

Before that we had a $79 - nothing fancy,

#16 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

We spent about $200 on our last iron, which was bought in 2002.  Still going strong.  Temp control is great, steam function is very good.  I don't use it a lot for me (I deliberately try to buy clothes that don't require ironing), but DH uses it for all his work gear.  We will be using it shortly for school uniforms.  

DH scoffed at me when I put my foot down and said we were getting a decent one (he originally wanted to spend $20 on a generic cheap brand from Kmart), he agrees with me now.  If our current iron were to kick the bucket now, I think he's be the fussy one now, LOL!  We also have a good ironing board (although not as good as my Mum's, but they don't make ironing boards like that any more).

Agree with PP that a decent iron need to have some weight to it.  Too light and they just don't seem to do a reasonable job.

Our iron is a sunbeam.  You can buy similar ones fro Myers, DHs, etc.

A water spray or iron spray is also helpful to use while ironing.

#17 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

If you line dry clothes, try drying the shirts on hangers.
We hang my husband's shirts through the loops that the line runs through on two hangers per shirt, one facing each way so that any wind just rocks them back and forth instead of blowing them down.
The shirts dry practically crease-free! I haven't picked up an iron in years! I'm actually considering getting rid of ours.

#18 happening

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

My local laundromat does an oval laundry basket of ironing for $25.  You can get a surprising amount into one of these if you really try.  

biggrin.gif

Edited by happening, 03 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#19 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I do iron, and I think it's worth getting a good one.  I find some of the expensive ones are too heavy though.  My new Sunbeam iron was about $100 from Myer and does a good job (especially when Mum babysits!)

#20 Indi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

A friend housesat a while back and raved about the steam ironing station the house owner had.  He claimed it halved his ironing time and produced better results.

I bit the bullet on Boxing Day and bought a Philips steam station - it came with a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it so figured I had nothing to lose.  It is AMAZING.  I can't believe how easy it makes ironing.  It's a bit like getting your first Dyson, you can't believe how much you enjoy vacuuming.

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

IMO no, and I work in a professional area where I wear shirts everyday. The shirts I but (American Gap, portmans and jacqui e mostly) have never really needed an iron if I have washed them on a gentle cycle and then hung them on clothes hangers like you would when you put them in the wardrobe

#22 i-candi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (josh2003 @ 03/01/2013, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am an ironer! My husband wears suits/shirts for work, and my son has a shirt as part of his uniform, so it's unavoidable for me.

I used to have a Laura Star ($750!) and although it was great to use, mine was a lemon that kept breaking. So I replaced it with a Tefal steam iron like this a few years ago, and it's been fantastic.

After using a steam iron, you can't go back to a regular iron... it kind of feels like you're ironing the old fashioned way with cast iron and coals!

I've been lusting after a Laura Star so this is interesting... I've also looked at Tefal thinking it would be crap compared to Laura Star!

I don't iron DH's shirts (he is more than capable of ironing his own stuff) but do iron the odd kid stuff and school uniforms.

#23 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I don't iron very much anymore as we send DH's suits and shirts to the drycleaners each week ($2.50 per shirt!), but for the little bit I do I think a good iron and ironing board would be great. Our iron is sort of mid-range, and I really need to replace our board cover, it is so thin now!

#24 kay11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (SqueakyBee @ 03/01/2013, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you line dry clothes, try drying the shirts on hangers.
We hang my husband's shirts through the loops that the line runs through on two hangers per shirt, one facing each way so that any wind just rocks them back and forth instead of blowing them down.
The shirts dry practically crease-free! I haven't picked up an iron in years! I'm actually considering getting rid of ours.

That's what we do. Plus my husband buys the Van Heusan Easy Care shirts for work and I choose work shirts that are also smart casual and not so business-y (can get away with it most days).

#25 vanessa71

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I have a Laurastar and I love it! DH wears pure cotton shirts, so I need a decent iron.

Luckily the kids school uniforms are poly/cotton, so don't need the iron.  wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.