Hard, rod shaped scar tissue after Implanon removal?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowess

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

Hopeing someone else might have experienced this! I had my implanon taken out 2 weeks ago, but I was under general anesthetic for another proceedure, when my gyno removed it, so I didn't see it happen. Anyway, I was feeling around the incision site last night, and noticed a small, probably around 2cm long, hard, rod shaped "thing" just under the skin. My initial thought was "crap! it broke, and he didn't get the whole thing out!", but after googling and finding that apparently it's quite difficult to break the rod, I wondered whether maybe it's really hard scar tissue, from where it embedded into my muscle? I can kind of grab both ends of it, and move it around, in the same way that you can with the full rod.

Any ideas? My DD2 has a check with the GP tomorrow, so I was going to ask her about it then, before calling up my gyno, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this, after their implanon was removed? I had it in for a year, if that's any help.

Thanks,

Fee

#2 lucy-lu

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I had mine out 2 months ago, for a few weeks after I felt something under the skin where it was, I think it was just the muscle healing internally, 2 months on and I do t feel anything, only incision scar.

#3 Shadowess

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks Lucy-lu, I was hoping that might be the case too, but I was at the GP this morning for my DD2, and asked her what she thought. She said there's definitely something in there, mostly halve the implanon!  blink.gif  so, will get in touch with my gyno when he's back on deck next week.

#4 rosiebird

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Get an ultrasound, it will be easy to see if part is left in. It's not a big deal if that's the case, it just needs another excision.

#5 lucy-lu

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Shadowess @ 04/01/2013, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Lucy-lu, I was hoping that might be the case too, but I was at the GP this morning for my DD2, and asked her what she thought. She said there's definitely something in there, mostly halve the implanon!  blink.gif  so, will get in touch with my gyno when he's back on deck next week.

Omg, that's terrible ! Hope it gets sorted ASAP!

Didn't they check what they removed? My gyno showed me the rod, even asked if I wanted to keep as a souvenir ......!

#6 Shadowess

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Ended up seeing him this afternoon. He was totally shocked to find a good chunk of it still in my arm! He was very apologetic! He thought that when he saw me, he'd be sending me off for an ultrasound (as per your suggestion, Rosiebird!), but once he felt it, there was no doubt what it was, and he was able to remove it right there and then. Apparently I'm the first person he's seen, who this has happened to.

He was pretty sheepish about it, I must say, and he said that he will now be double checking everyone he removes an implanon from! I didn't get to see the rod when he removed the first part, as I was under anesthetic for a lletz proceedure. It was only when I was rubbing moisturiser into the incision site the other day, that I found it!

Anyway, he took it out, stitched me up and sent me on my way. All good now!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.