Chicken breed advice and where do you buy them from?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lucy-lu

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hi,

I'm after some more chickens. We already s have 4 Ida browns.

Not sure what breed we would like though, I would like it to be a good layer, look different to isa (not brown), and a decent layer, and good to have running around the bAckyard.

Also, where in sydney can I get them from, I am in the hills area.

Thanks,

#2 melaine

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm not a chicken expert - but our Isa Browns can be a bit cliquey when new birds are introduced so when we wanted some different chickens recently we got Australorps because they are a larger breed so would be less likely to be bullied by the Isas.

Can't help where to get them from as we are in Victoria - but we couldn't get them at point of lay because there were never any available at that age, so we got them at about ten weeks old I think.

They've settled in well, we kept them separate for a while and gradually introduced them and all has been well.

Edited by melaine, 03 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#3 Walkers

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

We had a Salmon Faverolle that was sadly taken by our dog a few nights ago. Really sweet natured and great with the kids. They are quite a large size & look gorgeous scratching around in the yard. We are not in NSW so not sure where to buy from but try looking on the net.

#4 FiveAus

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

We get ours from poultry auctions, you can wander around and look at the different breeds before the bidding starts and mark down the cage numbers of the ones you want to bid on. Lots of fun!
I lost all mine to foxes recently so I need to restock soon. The breeds I had were Hamburgs (silver spangled, smoke and black), silkies which were my favourites, Barnevelder, Australorp, Old English Game bantams, Speckled Sussex. Loved them all and from 12 hens I regularly got 6 eggs a day, except when they stopped laying through winter.
Check the Backyard Poultry forum for auctions near you, someone on there should be able to advise you.

#5 noi'mnot

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Australorps are very hardy, and great layers. They're big chickens.

Araucanas (my favourites) are smaller, hardy and great layers.

Have a look at the leghorn varieties, as well as Rhode Island Reds, I think both of those are pretty good layers too.

And backyardpoultry is great, you'll find locals on there who can recommend where you get some more.

#6 jak'n'jil

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

I started with Isa and Australorps about 8 yrs ago. In the past 18mths I've moved into pure breds. The main reason is that I have lost so many of the commercials I found the pure are healthier, lay far longer and have much better health and accordingly have less vet bills. I currently have 4 different age groups, my last 2- lorps are 3yrs - one has stopped laying altogether the other has her days/wks.. I have a white sussex (very hardy and great layer) good solid chook and a brown sussex who still has to come to terms with where she should lay and that she should when she needs to.. I have 2 bantams, 1 is an ancona -the size of a pigeon fully grown tries very hard to lay with a lot of noise and not much success.. the other is a silver spangled hamburg (black/white spots) and lays every day a beautiful small white egg. I also have a Road Is red hardy chooks good layers, lavender sussex which are also great layers but they are my babies atm.
You can also get pure bred 'lorps black and white now. Will see what i can find out about breeders for you. I do keep mine seperated for a mth then introduce each other under supervision for a wk til they sort themselves. I have found putting them in a cage with the others helps esp as they are on different feed for about a wk and then that's it.

#7 Mama8

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

http://www.barterandsons.com.au/ try these guys they have different colours but the same laying capcity as ISAs. They also freight

#8 ~sydblue~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Kellyville Pets has chooks.

#9 WaitingforZiggy

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

These guys are awesome: http://citychicks.com.au. They are out at Richmond.

We bought three Australorp x Isa Brown hybrids from them in February 2012. Beautiful chooks and great layers.

They also helped us out with advice and support when one of our girls was under the weather a couple of months ago.

#10 CharliMarley

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

We found that Hyline chooks are the best layers and don't go clucky as much as the Isa Browns did. I am in Victoria, so I cannot help with where to find them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.