Recommend me a place in North America

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bellefin

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

We did a trip a few years ago where DP and I flew to Vancouver with DD1 who was 6-7 months, then he went to Vegas and met some friends and I stayed with my friend in Vancouver, then DH came back and we went to Toronto and NYC and Niagara Falls. It was great so we are doing the trip again. We are flying to LA then going to Vegas to get married then he will stay there with his mates and me and my BFF will go somewhere else and DH will meet us there after about 10 days. Whole trip will be approx one month.

I now have DD2, she will be about 8 months old, DD1 will be over 3.5 and BFF has DS about 11 months old. We are experienced travellers so not afraid of an adventure but have to consider we have the kids.

So where should we go? Have considered:
Hawaii - accomodation too expensive
Puerto Rico or Mexico - we'd love to but worried about vaccinations, we don't want to jab our babies with all those horrible diseases.
NYC - already been there a few times although we love it
Boston - not exciting enough?
New Orleans - too humid in Aug/Sept?
Miami - the type of place I want to go without kids  wink.gif
Canada - BFF done almost all Canada cos she lived there
Alaska - I think this is mostly hiking and adventure type activities that aren't good with littlies

Any good suggestions on somewhere to go with little kids, so somewhere accessible from West Coast USA, not really expensive accommodation, good for prams, places like zoos, museums etc, changing facilities etc. Thanks!

#2 amabanana

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

San Diego?  Plenty to do there.  Sea world, zoo, Balboa park, LEGOLAND (!), Beach, children's museum, shopping.

Edited by amabanana, 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#3 baddmammajamma

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

East coast is going to be hot and humid in the summer, for the most part. If that doesn't bother you, then there are some amazing places to see!

New Orleans in August = no. Hurricane season + muggy (though it is one of my favorite cities).

Factoring in kids and the hassle of air travel in the U.S, I would do Vegas > Lake Tahoe > San Francisco Bay Area > Drive back down the gorgeous coast to LA. Or add Yosemite in there (as it's not really THAT far from Las Vegas). Or drop down from LA to San Diego, which has the world famous zoo and is gorgoeus.

You could easily spend an entire month in California & not run out of things to do. That would be my recommendation -- focus on California.

Alternative would be to drive/fly to San Francisco & head up the coast via Portland & Seattle, both of which are fabulous kid-friendly areas, with lots of things to do/see & gorgeous scenery. You could then fly back to LA from Seattle or Vancouver.

Edited by baddmammajamma, 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#4 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I love the pacific northwest, I'd go from Cali, up the oregon coast and into Washington State. Hands down my fav part of america.

There will be plenty of kid friendly stuff around there.

#5 José

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

My first thought wad san Francisco. Then san Diego. Then thought of Tahoe.  So, yeah , stick to California!

#6 steppy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'd try to fit Yellowstone in, though maybe your kids are too young for that. Agree there is heaps in California.

#7 kelsta1978

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Or to the mountains in Colorado? Hands down my fav place I have visited in the states so far.  Yellowstone and San Diego would be on my list too..

#8 Bellefin

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I don't know much about Yellowstone but I wouldn't have thought it was good with 3 little kids? We have already seen a lot of California and drove from Vancouver down to Seattle and Forks (nerds).
We have decided to fly to Cancun and visit also Chitzen Itza (I realise that is spelled wrong) and Tulum. We can stay in a resort in Cancun and base ourselves there and do a couple of day trips from there. So excited!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.