Bread makers
does anyone actually use theirs??

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 kandj

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'm having these little daydreams of waking up to freshly baking bread...but I'm not sure if the novelty will wear off and it will become a pain to remember to do etc??
Does anyone have one and actually use it regularly and are they easy to use like they claim to be?

Thanks!!

#2 ubermum

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I bake bread, but I have never used a bread maker.

#3 FeralBob!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I've had mine for 12 years now and I love it. I find it's easy to remember to put on bread, you just have to be organised to realise when the loaf is running low and it's easy to put the ingredients in.

I will say though, only get one if you have the bench space to store it. We had a couple of years where we didn't use ours at all, because it was too much effort to haul it out of the cupboard whenever we wanted to make a loaf. Now I have it permanently on the bench top and we use it all the time.

#4 kandj

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

hmm, bench space while I have a lot I don't really like giving it over to appliances original.gif my kitchenaid is the only thing allowed to stay out because it is sooo heavy to bother getting it out each time....

maybe I could reorganise my pantry so I can set it up in there...I have my nespresso and toaster and kettle plugged in the pantry and just make sure I leave the door open when I use them...

I would love to be organised enough to just bake my bread in the oven, but I think we'd be eating fresh bread at 11 if I waited till I had time to do it original.gif

#5 MiSS_E

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

If you already have a Kitchenaide you could just whiz the dough up in that of a night and bake in the morning?

#6 Allie_D

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I use mine maybe 3 times a year!

#7 raone

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I could just never get bread to work so now I only use it to make pizza dough or coffee scrolls. biggrin.gif Reminds me I have been meaning to try it without the breadmaker.

#8 Feral Lemur

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I use mine most days.  The only issue I find with early morning bread is it needs to "rest" for a period of time before it is easy to cut.

I used to do it in the Kitchenaide but find it easier to plan and much easier in winter when I struggle to find warm "rising" locations

Edited by amoral lemur, 03 January 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#9 weepingangel

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

*puts hand up*

I do! I bake bread, use it heaps for dough for rolls, baguettes, pizza bases, etc.

I also use it for Jam, fruit bread and am going to try brioche and croissants next.

I love mine original.gif

#10 CountryFeral

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

You have a kitchenaid.

You do not need a breadmaker.

We bake all our own bread here - used to do one loaf a week pre kitchenaid, now it is every second day plus pizza bases, foccacias et. al. because it is so easy and effortless with that gorgeous, beautiful machine.

Buy your self a decent tin from a commercial kitchen supply place and go for it!

#11 Feral Nicety

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

How on earth do you do the laminate for the croissants in a breadmaker?

#12 Romeo Void

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Mine gets it's biggest workout on Australia Day when the family gets together to make Pelmeni.  I tried making the dough by hand one year...never again!  I don't have a KA or other so the breadmaker it is.  It's used for bread about 6-8 times a year.

#13 librablonde

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

I have a Panasonic SD-2501 and use it very single day for making bread for our family. It's much cheaper than buying so many loaves of bread for a large family. I love my breadmaker and couldn't be without it. If you don't have many mouths to feed then I don't know how committed many people would be to using a breadmaker very frequently. But if you're feeding a large family, then it's such a money saver and the Panasonic makes brilliant loaves.

#14 (feral)epg

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Don't have a breadmaker, use the thermomix.  I imagine the kitchenaid would be much the same.  I make bread once to twice weekly and find it's probably not as cheap as cheap supermarket bread but cheaper and nicer than bakery stuff.  You don't need to be particularly organised about doing it if at some point you have a few hours at home so you can keep half an eye on the dough as it rises.  If it's cold I just use the oven to rise the dough (heat the oven to minimum temp, then turn it off and whack the dough in with the door closed).
I find the bread is best the next day - it's quite soft straight out of the oven and difficult to cut.  But it doesn't always make it to the next day!

#15 smilinggirl

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Love it. Made sweet chilli/fresh coriander/pine nut bread today. Using our machine every couple of days. Making raisin bread this week too.

#16 weepingangel

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

How on earth do you do the laminate for the croissants in a breadmaker?

No idea what you're referring to, I just follow the instructions in the Panasonic guide that came with my machine.

Smiling girl- Where do you get your recipes from?

Edited by pukeko~ponga~tree, 07 January 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#17 Feral Nicety

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

The laminate is when you layer the butter and turn the dough.  I was thinking you did the whole process in the machine but noooooooooo wink.gif

#18 Cath-In-SA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I have the cupboard space for ours and I use it more in the winter cos fresh crusty bread is soooo good with soup. I use *gasp* pre-mixes which, I am sure, are more expensive than getting the flour, yeast, etc separately. But it's so easy.

#19 weepingangel

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Lol, I wish it did Balzac! You do the dough part in the machine original.gif

#20 MissingInAction

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (kandj @ 03/01/2013, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm having these little daydreams of waking up to freshly baking bread...but I'm not sure if the novelty will wear off and it will become a pain to remember to do etc??
Does anyone have one and actually use it regularly and are they easy to use like they claim to be?

Thanks!!

LOL
Ohh....
We bought one last year at DH's request.  His best mate & his GF had just moved out together and purchased a breadmaker and kept raving about how lovely it was to wake up to freshly baking bread  rolleyes.gif and so DH had a case of keeping up with the joneses and next minute we own a bread maker.  We used it weekly for a month or two, yes it WAS lovely and then the novelty wore off.  We don't use it.  In fact, I was *just* saying to DH yesterday that we should sell it at our upcoming garage sale but he disagreed.  I said, "do you use it?" he's like fine i'll use it tomorrow.... *he hasn't used it*  hahaha....
EXACTLY THE SAME WITH THE SLOW COOKER.  We just plain don't use them.  

#21 kandj

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 04/01/2013, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have a kitchenaid.

You do not need a breadmaker.

We bake all our own bread here - used to do one loaf a week pre kitchenaid, now it is every second day plus pizza bases, foccacias et. al. because it is so easy and effortless with that gorgeous, beautiful machine.

Buy your self a decent tin from a commercial kitchen supply place and go for it!

Countrymel, what recipe do you use for bread? I've started experimenting with doing different loaves and have had varying degrees of success. I already do foccacia's and flatbreads but a 'normal' loaf is new.
I have the been using some Hugh Fearnley-Whittingsal recipes for sourdough and a soda bread...I have started growing a sour dough culture, but there's a lot of extra's proving of the dough for that way which may well get annoying original.gif
The soda bread was too dense like damper for every day use.

Anyone with some really quick and easy ways of doing their every day loaf with a mixer?

TIA

#22 Mumma3

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I make bread in my Breville professio├▒al wizz stand mixer (like a kitchen aid). I did buy a bread maker a few years ago from eBay, and then sold it a couple of years later, also on eBay.
There are lots of bread makers on eBay, which would suggest that people buy them and then end up with them sitting in the cupboard. Good place to look for one if you aren't sure though.

#23 Feral Nicety

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

This is our everyday bread
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/10857/basic+white+bread

#24 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

OP, Nigella Lawson does an overnight rise with her breads - mix in kitchenaid, chuck in the fridge. Then in the morning, punch dough, reshape and let it rise/ come to room temp, then bake. Not quite as quick as a bread maker, but pretty good.

#25 kandj

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Thanks! Will give both of those a go original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.