Paymate?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ~chiquita~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Since when?

Anyone use it? Is it safe?

I've never heard of it and have just won something on eBay and the seller is offering a paymate option.  I'm assuming it's like Paypal but would like to hear from someone who has used it. I do love to pay straight away but might take the direct deposit option on this one.

Edited by ~chiquita~, 03 January 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#2 ~chiquita~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

So nobody has heard of it?

#3 JustBeige

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I have heard of it.  A person I used to buy paint from used to use it.  I think it was because of the cheaper fees for her when it came to using your credit cards as payment.

If you google it and have a look at the website, it has been around for a while now.

I think I would still use Paypal though if it was an option, but only because I know how that works as a buyer.

#4 nellieb

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

It's been around since the dawn of eBay. It's just a less popular product (especially in Australia) than PayPal.

There aren't the same buyer protections in place as there are with PayPal (I don't think) so most people prefer PayPal.

#5 FlutterbyBlue

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I have heard of it and I have used it in my online business.  It was expensive, had a propensity for breaking down regularly, due to problems at their end.  Ultimately, I found it wasn't worth the trouble and inconvenience.  I now offer, Paypal, bank deposit and cheque/money order and the only thing I have trouble with is people who think I should send the books before they have been paid for.  dry.gif

Edited to add - Oh and be careful, it can be set up so that it charges the purchaser the fees instead of the seller, so you may find you have paid more than expected.

Edited by FlutterbyBlue, 03 January 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#6 Eirlys

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I've heard of Paypal, not paymate though... paymate has a website http://www.paymate.com/cms/ I found a site (http://www.sitejabbe...www.paymate.com) that has old reviews (from 2010) none of them good. If forced I would use pay pal not something I hadn't heard of.

#7 ~chiquita~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (nellieb @ 03/01/2013, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's been around since the dawn of eBay. It's just a less popular product (especially in Australia) than PayPal.

Well I've been living under a rock, I've had an eBay account for 8 years and have never come across it. huh.gif

QUOTE (FlutterbyBlue @ 03/01/2013, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edited to add - Oh and be careful, it can be set up so that it charges the purchaser the fees instead of the seller, so you may find you have paid more than expected.

(http://www.sitejabbe...www.paymate.com)   that has old reviews (from 2010) none of them good. If forced I would   use pay pal not something I hadn't heard of.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll stick with paypal and wait for the seller to email me bank details.

Thanks

#8 Holidayromp

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I am sure that a seller must offer paypal as one of the payment options.  You click on the option and it should organise everything for you without having to chase the seller up for their bank account details.

I have used it before and didn't have any problems but would prefer to use paypal as it offers buyer protection.

#9 ~chiquita~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Holidayromp, I've just checked again and there is no paypal option. Just paymate and direct deposit and bank details aren't included in check out. Buyer protection is handy, however I've been lucky and I've never needed to use it.

Maybe the seller has been stung by it though, who knows. Bit annoyed that I have to stuff around with bank deposit but I've decided I'm not going to open an account with paymate.

#10 Holidayromp

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (~chiquita~ @ 03/01/2013, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Holidayromp, I've just checked again and there is no paypal option. Just paymate and direct deposit and bank details aren't included in check out. Buyer protection is handy, however I've been lucky and I've never needed to use it.

Maybe the seller has been stung by it though, who knows. Bit annoyed that I have to stuff around with bank deposit but I've decided I'm not going to open an account with paymate.

I would be very wary of this seller.  It is EBAY rules that they are to offer paypal.  It is the only way you get protection.  You do not have a leg to stand on any other way.  Tell them that you want to pay via paypal and whilst you are at it report them.  I think you can withdraw from the sale as a result of this.  I would get on-line assistance from ebay or you can telephone them BEFORE making payment by any other method.

I have used buyer protection twice on ebay and it was worth it and I have been with ebay for quite some time.  All sellers I have dealt with have it and even though it is a rule I would be querying the sellers intentions and not paying by any other method.  Sounds dodgy.

#11 PatG

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

A quick search turns up paymate as an option instead of PayPal

"Sellers must both offer and accept Paypal unless they offer one of the other 2 safe payment methods being PayMate or merchanct credit card facilities. "
http://community.ebay.com.au/question/Buyi...epts/1000050219

But I'd want to use PayPal as I know that issues usually get sorted.

You did however agree to purchase the item as described, including payment and shipping info.

#12 WastingTime

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I've used it to process online credit card payments but it was expensive so switched to PayPal.

#13 mygirlcharlotte

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I had a client that wanted to use it but I have been with paypal for a while now..i use it for everything instead of paying by bank deposit

#14 ~chiquita~

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Holidayromp @ 03/01/2013, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be very wary of this seller.  It is EBAY rules that they are to offer paypal.  It is the only way you get protection.  You do not have a leg to stand on any other way.  Tell them that you want to pay via paypal and whilst you are at it report them.  I think you can withdraw from the sale as a result of this.  I would get on-line assistance from ebay or you can telephone them BEFORE making payment by any other method.

I have used buyer protection twice on ebay and it was worth it and I have been with ebay for quite some time.  All sellers I have dealt with have it and even though it is a rule I would be querying the sellers intentions and not paying by any other method.  Sounds dodgy.

This is a second chance offer, maybe the original winner withdrew for the same reason. It's not an item I need desperately, so I wouldn't be upset if I withdrew. She's a high volume seller, I've checked her feedback and I can't see anything amiss. I'll give eBay a call today, I agree this seems dodgy.  

QUOTE (PatG @ 03/01/2013, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You did however agree to purchase the item as described, including payment and shipping info.

Yeah, and silly me didn't check. Every seller on eBay has paypal, or I assumed they did. That's why I was very 'wtf' when paymate popped up in checkout. Lesson learnt.

Thanks for the link PatG.

#15 harryboy

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

I think you will fine the govt were cracking down on Ebay (since they own Paypal) saying it was an uncompetitive environment for financial transactions and to placate the govt they had to add a couple of other options which haven't gained mcuh traction (as PP listed above).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.