Back to school

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Halcyon~

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Reading other threads re lunch boxes I have only just realised that people have their children take the same lunch box to school for more then one year.

Is this common practice or are there others out there like me who allow their children to start off the school year with a new lunch box, drink bottle, and stationery items?

I also replace uniforms such as polo's, shoes & socks at the start of the year as well as when necessary during the year.

Bigger ticket items such as woollen jumpers, shorts, trousers, dress & tunics are reused until outgrown

#2 Heather11

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Reading other threads re lunch boxes I have only just realised that people have their children take the same lunch box to school for more then one year.

Why would I stop using something or replace it if it is still perfectly fine to use.  DS#2s lunch box looks as good as new.  I can't understand the replacing of something just because of a new year.

#3 Glr-r

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I do new stationary, school bag, lunch boxes, shoes because the olds one's have well and truely had it, actually DS's shoes should of gone halfway into term 4 but we just scraped by, they were binned at pick up on the last day.

Same goes with the insulated bags, they've lasted the whole year but are lookin a bit haggered now so they'll be binned too.

I don't replace school shirts until needed though, same with socks they get thrown over time as they thin or develop holes...

#4 Halcyon~

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I must admit that it is a terrible waste, however it just what I thought was the done thing

Maybe I should save myself the $

#5 Glr-r

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I replace the insulated bags but not the containers that go inside they are replaced when others are lost or no longer functioning.

#6 LifesGood

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

DD goes through several lunch boxes and drink bottles each year so no I don't buy one especially for the start of the year!

#7 Melidia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

I replace things as needed.

As it turns out, most things need to be replaced now.  original.gif

#8 somila

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (Halcyon~ @ 04/01/2013, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must admit that it is a terrible waste, however it just what I thought was the done thing

Maybe I should save myself the $

I once offended someone on EB by being astounded that they bought a new school bag every year so I'll remain calm and say that my children use things until they wear out.  DS#1 just got a new bag for high school.  He had the same (high quality) backpack for the whole of primary school.

#9 JRA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Heather11 @ 04/01/2013, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would I stop using something or replace it if it is still perfectly fine to use.  DS#2s lunch box looks as good as new.  I can't understand the replacing of something just because of a new year.

Absolutely.

His school bag has lasted perfectly for 7 years, I think his lunch box is two years old, he gets new uniforms when he grows out of them.

Why would we do anything different, I thought that was the norm

#10 Kalota

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Personally, I wouldn't replace something if it was in perfectly good condition. Even if it WAS "the done thing," I wouldn't do it because it's a waste of money and my partner and I simply couldn't afford it!

Edited by Kalota, 04 January 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#11 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

DD has used the same lunch box and water bottle through Kinder and Year 1. Some of them need replacing, so I have tossed the old cracked, battered and scratched version and bought new ones.

I had to buy new school shoes in December - normally I'd do that in January - because DD had a major special event to attend, and needed full school uniform. Her uniform still fitted, but not the shoes. Also took the opportunity to get new school socks. Oh, and she's been in the same uniforms for 2 years - I simply took the hems down.

She has new uniforms for the start of this year.

So no, I don't replace stuff every year - wouldn't have occurred to me to do so.

#12 snuffles

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I only replace things as needed.  I tendto buy new socks and shoes every year as the old ones are kaput, and I get the kids' hair trimmed every school holidays.

They are all still using the same lunchboxes they've had since they started school.

#13 mum201

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I had the same lunchbox throughout primary. Such a waste to bin them!
Kids grow so quickly, why wouldn't you replace clothes once they outgrow them after growth spurts? Eg you replace everything in January, they have a growth spurt in April so you have to replace everything again, then you replace again in January for sh*ts and giggles? Sometime our school shirts would fit for 18 months and sometimes they would last for 6 months.
Mum would have been out a fortune with me in high school needlessly if she had of done this as I only grew from 175cm to 179cm from year 7 to 12!

#14 The Old Feral

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Our lunchboxes were trashed, drink bottles and the odd hat and jumper lost, so I'll replace those and DS1 needs bigger shorts.

I do tend to try and eke things out until the end of school and stock up in the holidays so we can start the year with fresh new stuff, but I don't replace anything that doesn't need it.

#15 Canberra Chick

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

I replace when it wears out. As a child my parents could only afford things that lasted a year if that, but I'm in a better situation, so DS's school bag going into year 3 is the same one as he got starting kindy, I've had to replace some lunch containers and clothes get replaced when he grows out of them (our official uniform is of a good quality that tends not to wear out first).

Anything else is a bit wasteful IMO.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I only replace something if it needs to be.

Dd will be getting a new school bag this year ( her last one did well for the last 3 years but now has a hole)she has three new school dresses due to her having a growth spurt.
Her drink bottle and lunch box is fine.
Needs new shoes. More socks and her school provides stationary after fees are  paid.

All her outgrown uniforms are stored for dd2 who will start prep 20014.

I don't understand your reasoning op.

Seems an incredible waste.

#17 -*meh*-

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

my kids get new bags each year... they are only young atm so they often outgrow their bag, their old bag gets used for karate/sleep over/access etc.

So far they have needed a new lunch box every year anyway...

I don't replace uniforms unless needed, the only uniform i am replacing this year is a jacket that DS2 has lost when i did the "stocktake" on their clothes.

I do generally buy new socks at the start of the year just because i am shopping and i remember then biggrin.gif

our school provides all their stationary.

#18 jojonbeanie

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I replace when thing don't function any more. I think in the 13 years DS was at school he had three schools bags and only then because he needed bigger ones not better ones. I would guess four insulated lunch bags lasted him 13 years. As long as your lunch bag still works I don't think it matters if it is faded. I was much more concerned about how his uniform looked than his lunch bag.

#19 PeggyLou

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

We only replace items if they need to be replaced.
ie; lunch boxes, book bags, water bottles etc.

Currently, myself and the kids are going through what is required on their booklists and seeing what we have from last year.

We have about 6 pairs of scissors here :/ so no need to buy new, same with DD12's textas. Perfect condition, so no need to go out and get new ones.
Pencil sharpeners, compass, protractor. Nothing wrong with them, so she will be taking them back to school.

Our son has a school bag with the logo on it, it was very expensive and I would expect it to last a lot longer than a kmart cheapy. This will be his third year with it.

#20 Julie3Girls

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I replace things as needed.

School uniforms are worn until they outgrow them.
Shoes I tend to replace in January, mainly because they have usually outgrown them, and they also tend to be pretty worn out after a full year of school (DD3 almost has holes in the toes of her shoes, but I managed to make do until the end of the year.
I usually do buy a new lot of socks as well, mainly because socks somehow disappear.

School bags get replaced as needed - my older two girls got new bags for this year coming, after the last bags lasted 2 years. DD3 got a new one as well, as her old one that she used for FYOS was a bit small. That bag will still be kept at home and used for other things.

Stationary - don't have to buy any, as everything comes in the school book packs (only $20 at our school, for all books and stationary).  I did let them buy some new lead pencils, erasers, pens etc to put in a homework pencil case at home.
Old stuff goes into a big plastic box of pencils etc, which gets used up gradually.

Lunch boxes, again as needed. The insulated bags do sometimes need to be replaced. The plastic sandwich boxes etc, don't need to be replaced very often. I have bought more little plastic containers as extra children have started school original.gif  DD1 had a sandwich box that she used for 2 years of preschool, and 6 years of school, before it finally broke at the end of this year.

Oh, and I usually stock up on new hair ribbons, as they always seem to vanish over the year.

I DO think it is nice to head off to a new school year with things feeling nice and fresh.  Nice new pencils, school bag either new or washed. But you need to balance it with a practicality.

I know someone who would basically turf the school bag on the last day school - bag, lunch box, drink bottle, pencil case with any leftover pencils. Just straight in the bin.  That's just wasteful.
Selectively replacing, or getting new stuff, but still keeping and using the old, is different.

#21 Fifi LaRue

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I replace things as necessary, generally speaking the insulated lunch bags have lasted 3+ years, containers and drink bottles last much longer and only get replaced if they are broken or lost, both the kids go to a P-12 college that has a very strict dress code, so they both have their 'school bag' and at $80 will sure as sh*t keep it until it's falling apart, DS (after 8 years) still has his from prep, I've had to replace DD's because she left it on the Tram once and didn't get it back.  School uniforms get replaced when they are either worn out or too small.  Stationary gets replaced as needed, but also usually at the start of the year.

I don't know why you'd waste money if you didn't need to.  Sounds very wasteful.

#22 newphase

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I replace as required here!

So far DS1's school clothes have lasted since mid grade 3 now going into grade 6 (he doesn't grow much), only bought a few pairs of socks as needs and some track pants as he gets holes in the knees. Yearly or twice yearly shoe replacement as he is so very rough on them...sneakers that is, at old school the proper school shoes lasted all year.

Lunch boxes only as required, or a lid lost!

Kids proper school labeled school bags last ages, DD had hers all thru primary, still life in it but at a new school for high school now. I envision her high school bag lasting the whole way thru school too!

DD's school shoes are in their 3rd yr...her size 10 feet as a 12...13yo have stopped growing luckily! And she isn't hard on them, nugget and black stuff and they look pretty good still! original.gif

#23 marnie27

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

DS starts school in Feb - most things we will be replacing as necessary. He's used the same bag for 3 years at daycare but will get a new one for school.

However I always started the year with new stationary (pencils and textas) and new lunch box and drink bottle - the old ones became ones for home. I will probably do the same for my children.

#24 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#25 liveworkplay

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Is this common practice or are there others out there like me who allow their children to start off the school year with a new lunch box, drink bottle, and stationery items?

I replace as needed. The tupperware sandwich keepers  have been going for the last 3 years and still fine. I tend to replace the insulated box as my kids wreck them and I have yet to find on that doesn't get all manky after a years use. New shoes and sox as these barely last the year anyway but it they did they would wear them until they didn't fit/fell apart.

Why spend good money when it isn't needed?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.