Tassie EBers, stay safe!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Chelli

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Some pretty scary photos being posted on fb this afternoon of the bush fires and I've just seen evacuation messages coming across the tv screen. Particularly those in Forster and Dunally areas. My cousins have evacuated with their animals and their photos are scary.

Anyone needing information the TFS website is here:

http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/

Thinking of you all and please stay safe if you're down that way.

#2 liveworkplay

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yes. Its getting worse, they are now asking Dodgers Ferry/Carlton residences to leave. I have a few friends with DH's fighting the main fires and friends cut off down the peninsular. It is very eerie here (Hobart suburbs) with the red sun and smoke haze.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by liveworkplay, 04 January 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#3 Therese

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

You are all in my thoughts. Stay safe.

#4 greatwon2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

From the TFS site

The communities from Dunalley, Murdunna, Sommers Bay, Eagle Hawk Neck, Doo Town and surrounds have been impacted by fire.

The fire is now impacting the community of Primose Sands and Connellys Marsh and it is too late to leave. Carlton River Road is now inpassable and not safe. Your Nearby Safer Place has been identified as the beach at Connellys Marsh or Primrose Sands Beach.

The fire is currently in the vicinity of Dodges Hill and may directly impacting on Dodges Ferry. This area will be affected by fire, smoke and ash, as far north as Carlton. If you plan to leave, leave NOW.

So many houses in the dodges ferry area sad.gif I'm just hoping that houses are all that are lost today , conditions are terrible , Hopefully everyone's listening to the advice and leaving.

#5 ani1

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I hope every one is safe and ok original.gif

#6 newkie

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

sad.gif I drove past the Forcett fires yesterday on our way home from the Peninsula, but my parents stayed down there and are now cut off sad.gif They had friends who were trying to come home today, but they were sent back at Taranna. The power went off for the 2nd time about 3 or 4 this afternoon and is still off and mobile coverage is shaky. Thank god my parents shack is on the beach (at White Beach) with boat access if it gets that bad. They said the shops are shut because there's no power and Nubeena is full of evacuees.

My thoughts are with everyone down that way right now sad.gif I can't wait til this weather breaks...

#7 twinmumplus1

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Stay safe to those in the south and East (and your families).

#8 Chelli

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I feel for those who are now cut off. Scary part about living on a peninsular when things like this happens. I was down that way last year for a surf carnival and it's a beautiful part of Tassie. I saw a photo posted on SeaFM Hobart's fb which shows people leaving by boat. The fires in the background of that photo are scary.

#9 Tall Poppy

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thinking of everyone caught up in all of this. The footage being shown looks very scary.

Try to stay safe.

#10 BobTony

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Thinking of you all and hoping you all stay safe xxx

#11 Chelli

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Unconfirmed reports of deaths according to abc website, and at least 65 buildings lost in Dunally. sad.gif

#12 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (newkie @ 04/01/2013, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sad.gif I drove past the Forcett fires yesterday on our way home from the Peninsula, but my parents stayed down there and are now cut off sad.gif They had friends who were trying to come home today, but they were sent back at Taranna. The power went off for the 2nd time about 3 or 4 this afternoon and is still off and mobile coverage is shaky. Thank god my parents shack is on the beach (at White Beach) with boat access if it gets that bad.

I've just heard that boats are heading out that way to help evacuate people.

#13 Domestic Goddess

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Oh my  ohmy.gif  I haven't watched the news for weeks and was totally unaware of these fires. Wished I didn't google after reading this post. Absolutely terrible. Im praying that this is not going to be another black Saturday and that reports of deaths are incorrect. Stay safe everyone. I will keep praying throughout the night and stay tuned online for any news....

#14 Flutter Bug

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Is anyone from in or close to Dodges Ferry? my sister lives there and is so confused about whether she should leave or not. The Tas Fire website says if you PLAN to leave, leave now. She has lost Internet connection so is anyone in Tas able to tell me if she should be leaving? Thanks

Edited by Flutter Bug, 04 January 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#15 erindiv

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=832775

#16 laridae

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Flutter Bug @ 04/01/2013, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is anyone from in or close to Dodges Ferry? my sister lives there and is so confused about whether she should leave or not. The Tas Fire website says if you PLAN to leave, leave now. She has lost Internet connection so is anyone in Tas able to tell me if she should be leaving? Thanks

Yes, she should leave.  Or at least - I would.  Is there somewhere she can go?

If you live in Delmore Road area and you can not defend your property move to a safer place NOW if the path is clear.

The fire is currently in the vicinity of Dodges Hill and may directly impacting on Dodges Ferry. This area will be affected by fire, smoke and ash, as far north as Carlton. If you plan to leave, leave NOW.

The fire is now impacting the community of Primose Sands and Connellys Marsh and it is too late to leave. Carlton River Road is now inpassable and not safe. Your Nearby Safer Place has been identified as the beach at Connellys Marsh or Primrose Sands Beach.

#17 Flutter Bug

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (laridae @ 04/01/2013, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, she should leave.  Or at least - I would.  Is there somewhere she can go?

If you live in Delmore Road area and you can not defend your property move to a safer place NOW if the path is clear.

This is what I read out to her over the phone! I said the same, that I would leave and rather be safe than sorry but she feels safe where she is. She's right on the beach. She can't see the fire and says that the areas they speak of in the above statement aren't close by. Because I can't picture where she is in relation to the fire I feel really uneasy. I wish she would go - she can still drive out of Dodges and head into the city. The fires sound horrific, scary stuff.

#18 CFMummy

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

This is so scary I have so many friends down that way I live on the north west coast and wish I could be of some help

#19 Monkey_Mind

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

We're in Dodges/Carlton on the beach, we've been listening to the radio (abc local) and am sticking on the fire Tas page. We've decided to stay for now, I haven't heard any advice about leaving yet. Can you put the link up where it says to leave?

We're ready to leave if we have to :/ I'm hoping we don't have to!

#20 greatwon2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Is anyone from in or close to Dodges Ferry? my sister lives there and is so confused about whether she should leave or not.

From the TFS site

I'd personally leave IF IT WAS SAFE ...well actually i would of left hours and hours ago , she will need to be be sure that it is still safe to leave now that's shes left it this long ....what are her neighbors doing??

Edited to add link for uptheduff

http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/Show?pageId=inc...=84599948251103

Edited by greatwon2, 04 January 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#21 laridae

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

According to the map on the TFS website - its probably about 4km away from Dodges.
The wind seems to be going the other way so hopefully it will be ok - if the wind changes I would go though.  At least isf shes on the beach she can always head into the water I suppose.  Does she have kids?  I'd be more inclinded to leave with them than just me alone.

#22 greatwon2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Again from the TFS site

The current map show is an estimate only of the fire boundary, as smoke and fire activity is making it difficult to identify an accurate fire boundary.

So i wouldn't be basing any decisions on that

#23 Flutter Bug

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Her neighbours are on their deck drinking wine, so obviously relaxed about the whole thing!

She doesn't have children, just a cat who is being kept indoors in case they need to leave. I think I'd be leaving but I have two children to think of. It must be ok, she wouldn't put herself in danger. I still wish she would get out of there though....

#24 Chelli

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I have family in Dodges Ferry, the kids and animals have been evacuated and her last fb update said she was worried. Personally, I would pack valuables and get out of there while it is safe to do so.

#25 Flutter Bug

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (UpTheDuff78 @ 04/01/2013, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're in Dodges/Carlton on the beach, we've been listening to the radio (abc local) and am sticking on the fire Tas page. We've decided to stay for now, I haven't heard any advice about leaving yet. Can you put the link up where it says to leave?

We're ready to leave if we have to :/ I'm hoping we don't have to!

It doesn't really say you have to leave, just to leave NOW if you plan to leave. This is where my sister got confused, not sure if she should leave or not. She's staying put for now, she lives above Park Beach. Stay safe, I hope they get it under control soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.