Where the movie is better than the book
Can you think of any?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

DH and I were just discussing this.....I have two:

The Shipping News ...I liked the book, but I found the prose heavy going...loved the movie.....

High Fidelity ....LOVED the movie....I thought it rocked

Snow Falling On Cedars ....I absolutely adored the book, and I thought the movie was at least on par.....

WDYT?

#2 Faradaye

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Forrest Gump.

One of my favourite movies.

The book is utter tosh.

#3 CherryAmes

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Children of Men. The movie was brilliant. The book was pretty flawed.

#4 Thylacine

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Trainspotting - had more humour than the book which I found a bit more grim, also the characters were much more likeable in the movie

Fight Club - The book was good, but the movie had Brad Pitt looking at his absolute best

#5 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

The lovely bones.

Thought the movie was really good. Book was crap!

#6 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Lord of the Rings.

And ( ph34r.gif  ) Twilight.  I'm well aware that the movie or books are no masterpieces, but if we're talking about which one is better, the movies were far less painful.

#7 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (strawberrypie7 @ 04/01/2013, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The lovely bones.

I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't enjoy the book!!!  happy.gif .  Not that I have seen the movie yet.

#8 Kay1

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Miss Smilla's feeling for snow. Liked the book but there was a big boring chunk in the middle that was fast tracked in the movie.

The lovely bones.

ohmy.gif See I adored the book, thought the movie was ok.

Also the Hours. Adored the movie.

Edited by Kay1, 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#9 robot sm

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Dexter (TV show) is better than the books it was loosely based on, although I'm not a huge fan DH loves the show.  

I think some film/tv/stage adaptations make the stories a lot more accessible - for example the book Les Miserables is really heavy going and hard to read, but the musical and film versions are pretty popular.

#10 FiveAus

QUOTE (♥~Bodhichitta~♥ @ 04/01/2013, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't enjoy the book!!!  happy.gif .  Not that I have seen the movie yet.

I haven't seen the movie because I hated the book. I am the same with The Slap. Everyone keeps telling me the TV series is excellent but the book was awful (and I think I'm the only person in Australia who hated the book).

#11 wish*upon*a*star

QUOTE (♥~Bodhichitta~♥ @ 04/01/2013, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The movie is worth watching. I am glad I saw the movie first, I would not have bothered if I had read the book first.

#12 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Interesting replies! Thanks guys....,!

Faradaye I had no idea Forest Gump was a book! What rock have I been living under?!

kay1 I really liked the book Smillas Feeling for Snow...but it took me two goes at reading it to get it, I think the movie was far more accessible .....

#13 Apageintime

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Stardust, it's an amazing movie  (robert deniro as a gay pirate!) - the book is terrible though.

#14 meemee75

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Stand by Me  was much better than the Stephen King short novel The body

#15 ~~Cleopatra~~

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

The lovely bones.

Did the book end the same way? I thought the movie was going to end differently to what it did.

#16 magicalmum

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 04/01/2013, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't seen the movie because I hated the book. I am the same with The Slap. Everyone keeps telling me the TV series is excellent but the book was awful (and I think I'm the only person in Australia who hated the book).

I hated The Slap too. Won't watch the series because the book was so bad.

#17 Nine.years

It's a miniseries rather than a movie, but Pillars of the Earth on TV was way better than the book.  It ommitted some of the less logical plot elements, and was visually stunning enough so that you could forgive the very linear plot and archetypical characters.

I agree with LOTR too.  The movies were the savage editing the book needed.

Oh, and any movie made from any book written by Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park, The Andromeda Strain etc).  He thinks up great scenarios, then writes quite flat books about them.

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is another good one.  I still think Tom Hanks was miscast, but Ewan McGregor lifted that movie above the book it was based on.

#18 baddmammajamma

No question: THE GODFATHER! The book is quite good -- but the movie is legendary!

#19 Jane Jetson

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

The Wizard of Oz. The book is great, but the movie is awesome!

Also all the Tolkiens, and I'll second Trainspotting.

ETA: absolutely yes, BMJ!

Edited by Jane Jetson, 04 January 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#20 Laborious Nicety

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Stardust is by Neil Gaiman.

Neil is an excellent writer.

Ergo you are so wrong about the book PP!

I liked them both.

#21 BobTony

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (magicalmum @ 04/01/2013, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hated The Slap too. Won't watch the series because the book was so bad.

Actually, I thought the tv series was sh*te, too  ph34r.gif

I'm going to add Brideshead Revisited. I adore the tv series, but have never been able to get into the book.

#22 asdf89

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Not a movie, but the True Blood TV series is sooooooo much better than the books. Reading the books I don't understand why anyone wanted to make it into a series.

Also just saw The Life of Pi - not better than the book but (I thought) a pretty perfect adaptation. Beautiful movie as well.

#23 FiveAus

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

The Shawshank Redemption. The book was good, the movie was fantastic.

#24 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 04/01/2013, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, I didn't like the Slap....never watched the series ....

#25 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (~~Cleopatra~~ @ 04/01/2013, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did the book end the same way? I thought the movie was going to end differently to what it did.

The book is really different, the end of the movie is actually about half way through the book.
The book is also a lot more graphically violent.

Also, I hated the Slap (both versions!) too

Edited by strawberrypie7, 04 January 2013 - 08:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.