Positive Lifestyle Changes
Anyone with me?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 causeway

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

So, was thinking about starting 'Diet No 1' for the year (LOL!) and then thought about doing something a bit different as the whole diet thing doesn't seem to work long term for me.

I've decided to make one positive change (diet and lifestyle) per day and build on that. For example. yesterday I decided to drink at least 2L of water a day, which I accomplished. So far today I've drunk half a litre. Today's positive change is to eat 2 pieces of fruit. I'm sitting here eating lovely green grapes and have a nectarine also.

So, its about building on my positive change from yesterday. Apparently it takes 28 days to form a habit, so in 28 days drinking 2L of water a day 'should' just be part of life.

I've got about 30kgs to lose, although 10kgs would be fabulous. I've got books galore and have done Weight Watchers many times. I tend to lose 5-7kgs and then just can't be bothered so I give up. I figure that this really is a psychological shift I need to make and paying for something I'm just going to give up in the long run isn't going to be effective.

I thought I'd post here and see if anyone wanted to join me. I'm going to do this for January and see what the outcomes are. I will weigh in on Monday which will be one measure of success. The other measure of success is if in 28 days I'm still drinking 2L of water a day and eating 2 pieces of fruit!

Please join me. I'd be interested to see what other people's positive change is.

#2 cardamom

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Good on you OP! That sounds like a really sensible approach.

Setting small, achievable goals like drinking more water is so much more realistic than saying "I'm going to lose x amount of kg this year" (as I've often done in the past).

Would like to write more but am at work at the moment, but I wanted to say if you feel like some support from like-minded ladies, please feel free to join us in the Lots to Lose support group  original.gif We're very friendly and chatty, and a lot of us are trying to adopt a similar approach.

Good luck!

#3 HarrietTheSpy

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'll join - at least for January. Would love to lose 10kgs.
My diet is generally pretty good, especially as I am on  hols now (although there may need to be some changes when I go back to work).
My first positive change will be a weekly one. I will do cardio exercise for al least 30 minutes, 4 times a week.
Good luck to you Causeway ! I find drinking enough water makes me feel so much better, and eat less because I am not eating when I am really thirsty.

Edited by HarrietTheSpy, 05 January 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#4 emma_jean

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Can I join? I am in the NYNM thread, and I am calorie counting at the moment, but I like this idea. original.gif

#5 gabbigirl

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'd like to join as I need to regain my health as I had pneumonia just before Christmas. So am needing to get my energy back, and my willingness to get back on the treadmill.  My first action is to go see my doctor, and get my bloods, and all clear that I can start exercising.  I am also working on not snacking....I am always picking at the kids food, the food while cooking and then eating a whole meal.  Bad habit.

Great idea. Thank OP.

#6 causeway

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Good Morning.
Yesterday went well and I achieved my positive lifestyle changes. Today is Day 3 and I’m going to add – ‘Eat 5 serves of veges a day’. This will mean a concerted effort to have salad for lunch and veges at dinner. We are having butter chicken (sauce from a jar – trying to clean out the cupboard) tonight and will plump it out with lots of vege.
Just want to welcome those following with me. Cardamom – thanks for your wishes and invitation to your Buddy Group. I have to say that I have stalked the group from time to time and look forward to posting with you and the lovely ladies there. HarrietTheSpy – nice to meet you and look forward to hearing of your progress. Emma_jean, Hi! Please post back with your achievements. Gabbigirl – no doubt will hear from you soon once you’ve got the all clear from Dr.
Just to recap, here is a list of my Positive Lifestyle Changes so far..
Day 1: Drink at least 2L of water everyday
Day 2: Eat 2 pieces of fruit everyday
Day 3: Eat 5 serves of vege everyday
I’m off to portion out my fruit now and finish my first litre of water for the day.
Have a good day everyone. Hi to any stalkers.. and we hope you’ll join in soon!

#7 Ninja Lemur

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

The changes I have made so far that have stuck are:

Water as drink of choice (I don't count litres but I drink after every toilet stop)

Smaller bowls and plates.  I find I am satisfied with 2/3 full - regardless of the size!

Walking to places whenever I can.

I need som new ones.

My big one is sleep.  I need to go to bed earlier so I wake up with more energy which impacts my whole day and the choices I make.

#8 emma_jean

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Sleep is a biggie for me too, so my aim today will be to switch off the computer at 9, go for a walk, and then head to bed by 10. original.gif I have started reading The No Diet Diet - anyone here read it?

#9 cardamom

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (causeway @ 06/01/2013, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cardamom – thanks for your wishes and invitation to your Buddy Group. I have to say that I have stalked the group from time to time and look forward to posting with you and the lovely ladies there.

Glad to hear it! I stalked for quite a while before I plucked up the courage to join  original.gif  It sounds like you're doing really well.

I've had a think and my newest positive change will be to have at least 2 meat-free dinners a week. I think I'll just do one change a week so I don't get too overwhelmed.

#10 causeway

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hi,
Amoral Lemur – I have found that drinking lots of water has stopped me drinking other things. I have been a real Diet Coke/Coke Zero fiend (DH is far worse). The last couple of days I’ve found that I’ve only had one can a day and that’s because I’m drinking so much water. I am also having sparkling mineral water too. I find that it tends to be the bubbles I crave not so much the flavour.
Sleep – we go to bed early in this house but also get up early. This is probably to do with the fact that there is a 14month old in the house and also when I work my start time is 7am. Getting up at 5 or 5.30am is not uncommon. When DH is working dayshift he is up at 4.15am anyway. The beauty of DD waking early is that she ‘normally’ goes to bed early. Today she is at Daycare so she won’t have big sleeps. She’ll be in bed asleep by 7pm tonight, so I am able to have my normal bedtime of 8.30/9pm. DH has just left for a training course for the week so I have control of the remote. Maybe a movie is on the cards tonight! LOL!
I do find that without sleep, getting through the day can be tough. DD is a pretty good sleeper but if she’s up during the night, the next day can be hell.
Emma_jean – Do you find that walking so late makes it hard to go to sleep? Pre child, I would go for a walk at 7.30/8pm for an hour or so, come home and clean up from dinner, have a shower but it would be 10.30/11pm before I could get to sleep… a bit hard when you are up at 5 to go to work!
Cardamom – I would love to do meat free dinners here. This would no doubt result in anarchy. Down the track I might try it but add a steak for DH!
I’m obviously going to have to slow down with my changes eventually, or I’ll run out! I’m pretty sure I can keep this up for 30 days and then I’ll see where I’m at.

AFM - Day 3 went well. I definitely ate my 5 serves of vege, 2 pieces of fruit and drank 2L of water. Today I thought was going to be tough. But as I sit here I realise that it isn’t so tough after all. Day4’s Positive Lifestyle Change is to cut out sugar from my coffee. I am currently drinking my morning coffee, sans sugar and whilst I would really like it to be a bit sweeter, this is something I can continue to do.
I also got on the scale today. Weight is 95.2 and Body Fat is 47%. I’m only 163cm tall so this is not good. Pleasant surprise that I didn’t put on weight over Christmas tho’ so that’s a win! LOL!
Just to recap – my Positive Lifestyle Changes so far are:
Day 4: Cut sugar from my coffee.

Looking forward to hearing from others. Cheers

#11 emma_jean

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi causeway, I didn't end up going for a walk last night as it was still 35 degrees at 9pm and just too hot. Also ended up going to bed about midnight and getting up at 8. So didn't do very well at all. I think I needed to make more goals more achievable. With that in mind, my goal for today is just to be in bed, with the computer switched off, at 10pm. I won't worry about walking again as our top today is 44.

#12 Wrenny

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Causeway, it's great you're making these positive changes, but be careful about adding a new one every day. Maybe you should use the next few days just to consolidate the changes you have made before adding any more, or the changes may not be sustainable.

#13 9ferals

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I think it's a really positive approach to focus on things that you can DO, instead of things NOT to do.  Just don't beat yourself up if you can't keep up with one change each day, you need to have time to build them all in.
You might like the book "Changing Habits, Changing Lives" by (I think) Cyndy OMeara.  It's an oldie but a goodie - she suggests changing one thing a week, and just like you, starts out by drinking water, eating a good brekkie etc.

#14 strawberrycakes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I have lost 12kg in 3 months by making a lifestyle change. I no longer eat grains at all & limit carb foods such as fruit & certain vegetables.  I hardly exercise at all either so it really has been quite effortless.

I am never hungry since removing grain foods from my diet & feel so much healthier.

I sometimes do miss pasta & rice but when I eat them now I just feel bloated & starving 30 minutes later.

I don't call my lifestyle changes a diet because IME diets don't work, this is a way of eating that can be forever.

#15 emma_jean

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Did much better with getting enough sleep last night and feel well-rested this morning. Today's goal is to drink 8 cups of water and eat at least 5 serves of veg. original.gif And will again be in bed with the computer switched off at 10pm. original.gif That makes sense about giving time for habits to form, Rubybelle, and I will keep an eye for that book. Interesting about the grain foods, strawberrycakes, I adore bread in particular. Do you have difficulty getting enough fibre with the way you eat? and did you cut out grain foods all at once, or cut down gradually?

#16 strawberrycakes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Interesting about the grain foods, strawberrycakes, I adore bread in particular. Do you have difficulty getting enough fibre with the way you eat? and did you cut out grain foods all at once, or cut down gradually?
No issue with fibre because the amount I get in vegetables is suffice.  I cut out grains fairly gradually but I was never a big bread eater anyway.  I used to enjoy a bit of rice & vitawheats but only had them a couple of times a week so eliminating them completley was easy.

Our bodies aren't actually designed to eat grains & I have been doing alot of reading into the primal lifestyle. OMG it makes so much sense, the worlds health/weight issues only started when refined sugars & grains (agriculture) was introduced.

Since I stopped eating grains I stopped being hungry & my energy levels have increased so much it is unbelievable. Since I started this lifestyle I no longer get hormonal headaches & my PCOS symptoms have lessened considerably too.

I do try to exercise 3 times a week but I haven't done anything apart from incedental exercise made easier through having more energy & the weight is falling off. I have never felt happier or healthier.

#17 causeway

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

‘Morning!
Just back from a couple of days off.  I took PPs advice and took a two days to consolidate my changes. I had a few very busy days and found that just trying to continue what I was doing was positive change enough! Of all my changes, I would have to say that the most difficult one is 5 serves of vege a day. Yesterday was a struggle. I think I got 3-4 but would not have achieved 5.

Rubybelle – I looked up the book you suggested and it looks interesting. I’ll keep my eye out for it as our local library doesn’t have a copy, but I can get an interlibrary loan, so I might investigate that while I’m out and about – THANKS!

Strawberrycakes – I too have done grain elimination and it does work. I agree that diets don’t work and to be sustainable it has to be a complete change. I think it is interesting to read the history of the healthy food pyramid which I grew up with and the notation that you should include 5 serves of grain… my body just can’t take that much. I do like the CSIRO suggestion of 3 serves, but I baulk at the huge amount of protein included. Congratulations with your weight loss!
Emma_jean – how you doing?

Today is another day and another Positive Lifestyle change. Today I am focussing on eating 3 serves of dairy. I’ve already had one for breakfast and I plan on having some yoghurt during the day and some feta cheese for lunch.
Just to recap – my Positive Lifestyle Changes so far are:
Day 4: Cut sugar from my coffee
Day 5-7: Consolidation days
Day 8: Eat 3 serves of dairy everyday

Cheers

Edited by causeway, 11 January 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#18 emma_jean

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Well I haven't really been systematic about it. I guess I'm still thinking and learning and maybe not really at any stage of committing to anything specific. Went to the doctors today, had some blood tests a while ago as I'm tired a lot, and then had to get some more done, and apparently I have an underactive thyroid. I start a low dose of thyroxine in the morning. Hoping that will help the energy levels, though I hear it will take a while. Weather is hot again, which never helps me to feel energetic, so no exercise happening. Have started reading "You on a diet" which is really interesting and so far doesn't push diets at all, despite the name, more explains why dieting doesn't work.

#19 Ninja Lemur

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

wow causeway that is a LOT of changes.

I have been making some non food changes (more daily routine stuff) and it has been hard to consistantly keep to the new plan.  I have made two major changes and I think if I added any more in my head would explode!

Those two changes though are really transforming my world so i am sticking to them until they are totally locked in.

#20 crazyhappy

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Hi

I haven't posted before however followed this tread from the first post and have made some positive changes myself. Is this thread still going or have you guys made a buddy group elsewhere?

#21 emma_jean

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm not aware of a buddy group so let's keep it going! original.gif I need to be reminded... to be honest, I have been focussing on other things at the moment. For the rest of January, my goal is to make sure I am in bed at 10pm. Simple, specific, and I think it will have a bit of a domino effect with better sleep and more exercise.

#22 Ianthe

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I have been reading this thread. I have made some small changes. More water, a trip to the gym and no endless snacking at night. I have been enjoying my food and feeling really relaxed around it which is nice for me!

#23 Cindy1014

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I have just come across this thread,  and i too, am making lifestyle changes rather then getting back onto another diet. I have knee surgery coming up in Feb so I cant do to much in the way of exercise until a couple of weeks after that  but so far this year i have:

1) cut from 2 sugars to a half and dropped my coffee intake from 4 a day down to 2

2) drink 4 lt of water a day

3) added a fish meal into the menu once a week

4) added a vegetarian meal in each week

other changes i have made to my families lifestyle are we make up a bowl of fruit salad every morning for b'fast and have some with our cereal and snack on the rest over the day, We eat salad every lunch time, and eat plenty of veg at night. We have put in a veggie garden, and we go on family walks every day - to the fruit shop, to wash the dog, etc.

my next aim is to slowly shrink our portion sizes now we are all used to the different types of food.

#24 crazyhappy

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Great, I am glad the thread is still going.

My changes have been similar to lanthe. I have been making sure I drink at least 2ite of water a day, taking walks with the kids to the shops etc instead of driving.

Over the past few years I have been eating far to much junk in the evenings. Once we get the kids to bed DH and I love to sit together and watch our favourite shows and have something yummy! I'm not ready to change that all together yet so have changed what I eat then to fruit toast, and maybe once a week will allow a little bit of chocolate.

I am already seeing results.

Once the kids are back at school and we are in a better rountine I'll try and increase my exercise time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.