Planning your wedding
Did dh help?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 lovebeingamum76

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Just wondered if other partners help on decibgnon wedding plans? Mine has no interest and is happy to just show up.... A little frustrating at times....

#2 mum201

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Eh....mine just wanted to be told when to turn up, what to wear and what to say. He didn't care, and it really didn't bother me. I just wanted to get it done and didn't care about the details that much myself, so one person making decisions made the whole thing easier rather than having a two hour pow wow for every detail......

#3 bakesgirls

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

DH and I planned our wedding together. The both of us decided on the venue, made the invitations together, chose what vows and readings we would have, the cake, the music, pretty much most things we both had equal input on. There were of course some things that I decided with no input from him, but they were things where I'd asked him already if he had a preference and he had said no, he'd be happy with whatever I wanted to do.

EFS

Edited by bakesgirls, 05 January 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#4 unicorn

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yes DH and I planned our wedding together, though he was a little out of his league so to speak. I think the only thing I organised without his input was my bouquet.

#5 JRA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

The question is similar to "does your dh babysit your children", weird.

It was not my wedding, it was our wedding, so of course we shared the decisions and the organisation.

#6 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

We planned our wedding together, but there were some things that DH said I could decide on without him as he didn't mind and trusted my choice.  These were mainly the finer points of decorating as we did our own crafty DIY decorations. I was conscious to include him in all aspects but sometimes I think I was too inclusive! We were buying a house and moving right before the wedding, so for ease of communication, he did all the house related organisation and I did all the wedding organisation. Well, generally!

Edited by WhimsicalDragonfly, 05 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#7 pinkelephant

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Nope I did it all!!  I was glad because often men don't get it like we do! They would be happy with a sausage sizzle lol.

The first time I blew up at him about not helping- he tried to help bu selecting an invitation style.  I hated it so from then on I shut up and planned it all myself so I could choose what I wanted lol.  At the end of the day he didn't care but he was so impressed on the day!

#8 slvhwke

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yup.  We picked 'big' things together.  Venue, menu, invitations.

From there we have split the rest.  He's arranging cars, rings & music.  I've got decorations, cakes, thank you cards etc.

#9 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (pinkelephant @ 05/01/2013, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope I did it all!!  I was glad because often men don't get it like we do! They would be happy with a sausage sizzle lol.

It was the reverse for us... I was all "we'll just have a bbq in the backyard" and he was all "over my dead body!".

We are doing all the decorating DIY, so like a PP most of the finer points of the decorating I've done because DF isn't really crafty and doesn't mind either way. The reception venue was his idea and we chose the menu together. I've done a lot of the research into readings etc, but once I collated a bundle we decided together what to use. He has suggested some of the music for the ceremony.

He had a LOT of input into his outfit. I just requested grey rather than black suit. He wanted a suit and he chose the style. He also chose the style for the groomsmens suits.

However everything to do with me and the bridesmaids has been 100% me.

#10 vanessa71

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yes, he did. The only thing he didn't have any input on was my dress. That said, I don't think planning a wedding is difficult.

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I short listed the stuff for say the colours, the invites, the venues, the music, etc then we made the decisions mostly together. But he wasn't that phased really, he wanted a particular outfit, and dsnt want to wear one particular colour - which he palmed off to his groomsmen. If something was important to one of us we spoke up, I am the planner so I do the "research" when it comes to most things ie: cars, holidays, where to live etc. so it seemed normal to us for me to do the background work.

#12 affectiion

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

He's got pretty strong opinions on most things, the only thing he hates doing is making phone calls.. so we're both making decisions and plans, but I'm doing all the actual organising.
He's quite laid back about it though, which is good, because I'm a bundle of stress!

#13 PinkAce

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Nope not at all. We got married in Las Vegas, but I did all the planning and booking of everything from back home in Australia.
He saw the venue the day before the wedding and everything I had picked out. All he did was pick his ring and suit (2 hours before we were married)! And showed up on the day!

#14 Fairey

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

We did it together or I short listed and he chose from that. Team effort.

#15 Amellyne

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Mine helped with the venue, our rings, wanted a chocolate cake and dictated that we have red sox ribbon on it, other than that I was free to plan as I pleased.

#16 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

After DH decided he wanted to be married in a blue velvet suit I took over everything, including the suit question - dark grey, non-velvet.

#17 SarahBelle48

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

My DH participated fully in the wedding planning process. We made pretty much every decision together and he helped me with making the invitations and stuff as well. The only thing I did on my own was the dresses (mine, bridesmaid and flower girl) but I did run the bridesmaid stuff past him. He even came along to the flowers meeting and helped with that. It was our wedding, not just mine so it reflected his tastes as well.

#18 baddmammajamma

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

We totally planned it together -- as in "Let's not plan a wedding, let's elope." original.gif

We chose our location (Jamaica) together. We had a beautiful wedding that made us both very happy. No stress, that's for sure! original.gif

#19 Canberra Chick

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

DH and I planned it together all the way - but we tend to make most decisions together.

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Yes.
Heaps.we booked the reception together.
Food and drink list.
Done the guest list together.
Seating.
Vows together.
He done suits on his own.

Things I did that he had no interest was the cake and I picked the flowers.
And me and my sisters dress.

It was organized  in a rush because i had a surprise pregnacy ad I wanted to be married before our baby was born.

So the whole wedding was organized in four months.

It was really non negotiable that he WOULD help me.

Edited by Oriental lily, 05 January 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#21 I'mBeachedAs

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

We planned ours together. In fact, my husband did more than me as he's a bit of a gun with researching stuff on the net.

#22 Feral Nicety

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

We planned it together.  Never occurred to me that it could be done differently wink.gif

#23 Ice Queen

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

My DH chose the beer.  tongue.gif

#24 JaneDoe2010

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 05/01/2013, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We totally planned it together -- as in "Let's not plan a wedding, let's elope." original.gif

We chose our location (Jamaica) together. We had a beautiful wedding that made us both very happy. No stress, that's for sure! original.gif

Ha ha that's what we did, but it was Vanuatu - complete with wedding planner and friends/family. original.gif

Edited by JaneDoe2010, 05 January 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#25 Apageintime

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (vanessa71 @ 05/01/2013, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, he did. The only thing he didn't have any input on was my dress. That said, I don't think planning a wedding is difficult.

This, there were things neither of us cared about (like flowers, invitations) so instead of one of us just doing it, we decided that if neither of us cared enough we wouldn't have things for the sake of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.