Sudden refusal to Sleep in 1 year old
in Cot, on mum, in our bed etc

7 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleNess

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Well at first I thought it was due to a wonder week but 7 days later we are struggling to get our son to sleep AT ALL.

He's gone from being a very very good self settler having 2 naps a day and only needing one resettle a night to now screaming the house down when he gets close to his cot & is super clingy.

We've tried patting, susshing, rocking, co sleeping etc and co sleeping is the only thing that works but it can still take an hour for him to clam down to sleep.

He's tired I can tell but just won't sleep, we tired the same presleep routine & he's fine until he goes into his cot & sleeping bag, then he rolls straight over, stands up & starts to cry & jump up & down.

Anyone had a kid drop there day sleeps at 1???

I can't see how he can possibly go from having 2 naps a day to none overnight. ( average 10 hrs overnight & 3 hrs during day )

We've tried just having one sleep around lunch time but the same results.

Someone please offer me some help, I'm at my wits end. He's happy most of the time & not a grizzle guts so am thankful for that. How do I ride this out......???

I'm close to tears & feeling like a bit of a failure right now..thanks

#2 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

You're not a failure!!!!
Babies go through difficult patches. Maybe sick? Maybe teeth? Maybe a developmental spurt? Maybe rhw Australia wide heat? Maybe just a bad old cranky mood?! Babies have bad weeks, just like adults.
But the single most important thing is that babies DO NOT stop needing naps at 1. Even if someone tells you that their baby did. Don't let them make it sound like a sleep deprived baby is normal!
This is a recent and still active thread. I don't want to repeat everything I've said there.http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=1043454&st=80
In your situation - give bubs lots of cuddles. Maybe a trip to the GP to rule out a sore ear or other medical problem. Try and get your baby some sleep by any means necessary. Throw out your routine for a few days. Go for walks in the pram. Or car rides. Or get a sling. Whatever you can. A baby who hasn't slept in a week needs to catch up a bit before they are sufficiently rested to respond to their usual routines.
In a couple days, go back to your old routine. You'll have much more success getting 'back on track' in a few days.

#3 Mummy Em

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I think it sounds like seperation anxiety, maybe he got a bit unsettled with Christmas and lots of people around? DD is the same at the moment - 13 months - I think for her it's essentially that she is overtired, and possibly getting sick.

#4 PurpleNess

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

There is definitely some separation anxiety going on, he's never been a clingy bub, has always been quite independant as far as playing happily on his own and happy to just go off to nap.

He did have a some very busy days out over xmas and my mum staying with us so it may have thrown him out of whack.

He's sleeping overnight but has been in our bed most of it. I just don't want him to get used to the idea but if that's what we have to do to get through this then I guess we will.

Thanks for the link, I'll check out the thread & just do what I can to get him to sleep at lest for 1 naps a day.

Any other tips welcome.

#5 Lupes

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hey Purple,

Had been thinking about you and wondering how you and your little man were doing. Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time with sleeps.

It could possibly be still part of the wonder week.. Callum's 'wonder week' usually turned into a wonder month, where sleep was impossible, we were pram pushing most days and nights.

But it doesn't last forever, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and I hope you get your good sleeping baby back. After the most recent wonder week, Callum dropped a day sleep, so we're on one nap a day just after lunch and a resettle overnight every other night or so.

Sorry I don't have any other tips.

#6 sakura73

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Have you tried cuddling him until he goes to sleep and then putting him in the cot? My DS behaved just as yours is around the 12 month mark. Seemed terrified of his cot. I posted about it on EB actually.
For a few months I held him in the arm chair in his room until he was asleep, then transferred hm to the cot. Usually this meant if he woke in tr night hr would end up in our bed as it was easier than cuddling him to sleep in the armchair again.
Recently he had started accepting being put in the cot awake provided I stay in the room until he is asleep. Just over the festive season ( he is now 16 months) he has started letting me leave the room before he is asleep. I never left him to cry and always picked up to soothe if he needed it.
I am convinced it was separation anxiety and I decided that if he was scared to be left alone in his cot then the only way to solve the problem was to show him he would never be left alone. I hoped he would gradually get more relaxed about going to sleep. Fingers crossed, it is happening.
I won't lie, it has been very hard work and DP wanted to do controlled crying and things were pretty tense for a while. It has been a long 4 months. But if you, like me, don't want to do CC then try cuddling to sleep. That way your little one knows you are not abandoning him.

#7 PurpleNess

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hey Lupes! Great to hear from you & that Callum is growing well. Gosh parenting is hard sometimes!! Im sure it is still part of a wonder week but as Sakura said I think he's scared to be alone ....

Last night we rocked him to bed & transferred him to cot & didn't hear a peep till just before 5am which has always been normal, then he ends up in our bed which we are fine with, means we all sleep till 7am! So so light at the end of the tunnel, at least we've all slept!

Sakura - yes that's our plan now, it worked last night & he was in bed at normal time. We discussed that we'll just have to teach him to self settle again & will get past this phase. No way I'd do CC so we agree on that, they are babies for such a short time I'm happy to cuddle him if that's what it takes.

#8 Pup-pup

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

My DD went through the same thing at 12mths.  She was a perfect sleeper beforehand,  but would cry and carry on at bedtime.  I cuddled her and would keep putting her back into the cot.  But then I started leaving her 5 minutes at a time,  never longer.  The first few times she'd cry the whole time,  then she'd fall asleep.  I decided it was a combination of teeth and separation anxiety.  But after a few weeks it just went back to normal.  She's now 17months and really still has 2 sleeps a day - or 3 hours day sleep and 12hrs overnight.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.