It's raining inside!
Part vent, part WWYD

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kadoodle

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

We're renting.  The house is about 10 years old and about as structurally sound as a cardboard box.  Over the space of 3 years, we've pestered the REA, been to the tribunal and fixed a lot of things ourselves.

After our last letter to VCAT, the landlord sent someone out to fix our bathroom and ensuite, which were both unsealed and leaked water downstairs whenever the shower or bath was used.  Today was stinking hot, so I put DD2, DS2 and a friend's DD (all toddlers) in the bathtub with an icy pole each to cool off.  They were happily splashing away, squealing and getting water everywhere while I supervised and kept and ear out for DD1, DS1 and friends of theirs who were downstairs playing a board game.

Then I hear what sounds like a waterfall.  Call out to the other kids asking if they've left a tap on.  No answer, so I remove little kids from the tub and head downstairs to see Niagra Falls coming through the hole in the roof (that the landlord said he'd fix, but didn't) in the dining room.  The big kids were skidding through the water like penguins on their tummies.   I let the little kids join in, then mopped up afterwards.

My query: Do I
a- Request the REA send out someone to repair it, knowing that hell will likely freeze over first.
b - Go to VCAT and request that they request the REA fix it.
c - Call someone out and send the REA the bill.
d - Ignore, as we're moving soon (building our own place) and it'll be someone else's problem.

We're also waiting for our aircon to be fixed.  I'm sick of them sending out repairmen, who give them a quote which they then do nothing about.  I'm calling a friend on Monday to fix it and send them the bill.

#2 whatnamenow

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Anyone have any helpful suggestions?  Would love to know as DH and I have pretty much just decided to move out of our rental.  Nothing is getting fixed in the last 18 months and i think the straw that broke our back is the downstairs toilet that's been broke for the last 4 weeks.  Lease is up in late feb/early march and we are outta here...

Aparently the owners response to the RE agents is if they dont like it they can move out.  So guess what we're doing.....

#3 red_squirrel

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

We've been in a similiar situation these last 18 months. Nothing has been fixed.
We are moving out in a few weeks time.

OP I wouldn't waste the energy. They wont fix it.

#4 désir d'amour

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I would breach them so it's on record, that way any future tenants have history on their side.

#5 kadoodle

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (NapCat @ 05/01/2013, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would breach them so it's on record, that way any future tenants have history on their side.

How do you do that?

#6 seaside_feral

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

The leaking roof is likely to be classed as an urgent repair, which means its treated differently to other problems - have a look at this page from Consumer Affairs Victoria which describes what to do in this situation.

With the airconditioning I would suggest that you give consumer affairs a call to ask their advice before incurring costs, as I'm not convinced it would fall under any of the urgent repairs categories listed on the link above.

Good luck op & hope you & the kids survive the heat!

#7 kadoodle

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (seaside_shells @ 05/01/2013, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The leaking roof is likely to be classed as an urgent repair, which means its treated differently to other problems - have a look at this page from Consumer Affairs Victoria which describes what to do in this situation.

With the airconditioning I would suggest that you give consumer affairs a call to ask their advice before incurring costs, as I'm not convinced it would fall under any of the urgent repairs categories listed on the link above.

Good luck op & hope you & the kids survive the heat!

It's a leaking ceiling, not roof.

I think it's pretty darn rich that I'm paying for the privilege of a bathroom and air conditioning that are unuseable  mad.gif

#8 CupcakeMumma

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'd write to the re, state the issues, include a remedy to breach as I don't think water leaking through the ceiling is safe, there would electrical cables in there and ask for a discount on the rent for inconvenience of cleaning up the water all the time and no air con which was provided when you first moved in.  If nothing else the breach is noted on the re in case they try and have your repair any water damage

#9 CupcakeMumma

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Dp

Edited by CupcakeMumma, 05 January 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#10 kadoodle

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (CupcakeMumma @ 05/01/2013, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd write to the re, state the issues, include a remedy to breach as I don't think water leaking through the ceiling is safe, there would electrical cables in there and ask for a discount on the rent for inconvenience of cleaning up the water all the time and no air con which was provided when you first moved in.  If nothing else the breach is noted on the re in case they try and have your repair any water damage

We've done that last time it happened and it took 12 months and a letter from VCAT for them to pretend to fix it.

I've decided to get back onto them and ask for information about a backdated reduction in rent over the non-functioning aircon and non useable bathroom.  I don't fancy my chances though, these things are pretty toothless when it comes to looking after after us plebs.

#11 désir d'amour

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I would be contacting the Tenancy's Authority directly, or at the very least breaching them for everything.

The more paper trail you have, the more luck you'll have reclaiming your bond and any claims for rent refund.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (NapCat @ 06/01/2013, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be contacting the Tenancy's Authority directly, or at the very least breaching them for everything.

The more paper trail you have, the more luck you'll have reclaiming your bond and any claims for rent refund.

Will do.

There really shouldn't be this much legwork and agro just to get someone to do their job.

#13 lunariviera

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

You need to report it to the agency if you don't want them to blame you for the damage worsening over time and possibly lose bond over it.

#14 *melrose*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

I would be moving out! this person does not care about his house.

And just want's the rent money.

#15 kadoodle

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (lunariviera @ 07/01/2013, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to report it to the agency if you don't want them to blame you for the damage worsening over time and possibly lose bond over it.

Have done.  Several times over the 3 odd years we've been renting here, lol.  They also know about the leaking windows, we've fixed the leaking taps ourselves and called out the council about the stop c*ck coming off and sending a geyser over the road.  We sourced and replaced our own dishwasher (which we've told them we're taking with us when we go), fixed the garage door, the front door, the letterbox, the shower heads that rusted off and the stupid blinds fell apart after 6 months got cobbled back together but I'm damned if I'm paying for and fitting decent blinds for someone else's house.  I've put up nets which will leave when I do.

I actually had a massive b**ch attack at them about the air con and said if someone wasn't on my roof first thing Monday morning fixing it, then I'd call someone myself and send them the bill.  Guess what?  8.30 this morning the air con was fixed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.