Books you wish would be turned into a movie
Spin off!

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm doing a spin off of my own thread...is that allowed?

But following on from the "movies that are better than the book" thread...do you have any books which you wish would be made into a movie? Or are your favourite books too sacred to be butchered by the movie making industry?! Assuming top notch director and screen play etc....my two are:

Catcher in the Rye....I would love to see this as a movie... But who would play Holden Caulfield ...?

The Poisonwood Bible....I think in the hands of a great screenplay and good direction it would make an awesome movie...

Anyone else?

#2 Velocinag

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Wood love to see Diana gabaldons Cross Stitch as a movie. But I can't see them doing all 7 she's written (so far)!

#3 FiveAus

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Jasper Jones. This would make an awesome movie in the hands of the right director. Needs to be very faithful to the 60's and needs a top notch young cast in the leading roles. As long as they don't  deviate from the story line.

#4 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

The Bronze Horseman. Oooh who would play Alexander?

#5 Lyn29

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#6 Excentrique Feral

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Jess1983 @ 05/01/2013, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wood love to see Diana gabaldons Cross Stitch as a movie. But I can't see them doing all 7 she's written (so far)!

QUOTE (CocobeanLillylove @ 05/01/2013, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Bronze Horseman. Oooh who would play Alexander?

Yes and yes!!!
Bronze Horseman is supposed to be a movie eventually: http://paullinasimons.com/books/the-bronze-horseman/movie/

#7 Still-here!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

None, I just dont think a movie can ever top a good book.

But then again, maybe if the book is crap, the movie can be better? As is shown in your other topic.

Alexander: Michael Fassbinder! He is my absolute movie star crush and seeing he is not going to be Jack Reacher, he may as well be Alexander   original.gif

#8 Oriental lily

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

None.

I am nearly always dissapointed.
They get casting wrong.
They get motives wrong.

They make it to dark or to fluffy.

They cut out heaps of subtle interaction between characters that make the heart of the story.

There is some movie adaptions I like.
I loved Harry potter and Lord of the rings for example

But thats a rarity for me and not the norm.

#9 ubermum

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Pearl in a Cage by Joy Dettman. More an Australian mini-series than a movie.

#10 FiveAus

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Ready Player One. This would make a visually spectacular movie that could combine real actors with cutting edge computer graphics.

#11 Excentrique Feral

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Bronze Horseman would probably make a better movie than it is a book, because you can cut out the month long honeymoon detailing every single sexual encounter to a very quick montage, and also because I think it would be a lot more hard hitting to see the affects of the war on Leningrad than it is to read about it.

#12 FiveAus

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Any of the Jack Reacher novels, but without Tom Cruise. (Way to make a woman cry, he is NOT Jack Reacher!)

#13 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 05/01/2013, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any of the Jack Reacher novels, but without Tom Cruise. (Way to make a woman cry, he is NOT Jack Reacher!)

Yes! Totally yes.....

#14 Georgette47

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

The Secret History

#15 FeralBob!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'd love to see Dymphna Cusack's Picnic Races as a movie and I'd really like to see Come in Spinner remade, but based on the original novel, not the abridged version they made the earlier mini series of.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I have never read a jack reacher novel but if Tom cruise played one of my favorite  characters in a book it would be instantly boycotted.

And I would cry bitter tears of despair lol.

When is Hollywood going to wake up and Realise he can not act?

It's always Tom cruise playing other versions of Tom cruise.

Edited by Oriental lily, 05 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#17 casime

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Circle and the Cross

River God (and sequels)

But only if it's done briliantly.

#18 WhatWouldBuffyDo

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I think the Jack West novels by Matthew Reilly would make good movies. They'd have to be careful casting him though, it'd be very easily ruined with the wrong person.

#19 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

The Belgariad series by David Eddings

The Les Norton series by Robert G Barrett.

#20 Lyra

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I would love to see Snow Crash and Neuromancer. But I think it would be hard to cast them

#21 geckogirl

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

The Miles Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. But it would only work with someone like Michael J Fox playing Miles.

#22 SW-

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Magician by Raymond E Feist

Have to agree Tom Cruise is so not Jack Reacher

#23 WhatWouldBuffyDo

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Magician by Raymond E Feist

Ohhhh yes. The first 3 i think. Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon.

It's really hard to keep track of the characters and who they are descendants of in the later books (the Conclave ones).

#24 2plusoops

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (WhatWouldBuffyDo @ 05/01/2013, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the Jack West novels by Matthew Reilly would make good movies. They'd have to be careful casting him though, it'd be very easily ruined with the wrong person.

Definately agree here.  The Scarecrow novels would also make a good movie - again casting the Scarecrow would make or break the movie.

And ditto to all the comments on Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, one of Hollywood's worst casting moments!

#25 TenYears

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

John Birmingham's 'Without Warning' series could take the movie treatment quite well.  It's better written than most action thrillers so the movie might not be better (as it definitely would be for a Matthew Riley novel), but it wouldn't be ruined by a transfer to the screen.

I actually think Wolf Hall would do quite well in the right hands - it would lose something but also gain something in the translation.   I mentally cast Alan Rickman as Cromwell while I was reading it as it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.