White fabric sofa plus kids

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vesper79

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Hi People,
We have been on the hunt for a new sofa for a while now and fínally bit the bullet and purchased a gorgeous italian sofa by Erba for 7k including scotchguarding down from 11k (display model). We thought this was a great price and allowed us to look past the fact that it was fabric and White! The alternative was b&b italia charles in dark grey,which was a good 5k more and for the record uncomfortable. Our Erba is amazingly comfortable and looks beautiful too. This is the pic below
Now, we have got it scotchguarded but with a toddler and baby this may not be enough. Would a slip cover look awful? What idea do people have or was this a total mistake buying this with young kids?!  

#2 akkiandmalli

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

I would never buy white not just with my kids but visitors as well. My grandfather has spilled Tea numerous times ( he is 90 so I forgive him!)
We are up for a new couch but just going to replace our black leather with an other black leather.

#3 Vesper79

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

I tried to attach a pic, dont think it worked.

http://www.erbaitalia.it/modelli_dettaglio_en.php?mod=fore

Edited by Vesper79, 06 January 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#4 mummytotwo

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Catastrophe, even with scotch guarding would be stressful I think. We have one lounge from ikea with washable covers and to be honest i prefer our leather sofa.

So would definitely get slip covers

#5 Jenferal

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

i think it was a really bad idea.
With babies and young kids you are going to regret it. UNLESS you have it in a formal lounge-room where they kids are banned.
We've got a leather lounge suite and it gets sticky and messy and yoghurt covered, BUT it wipes clean.

I've got a dining set with cream fabric seats and even though it's got stain treatment, it still doesn't clean up well.

#6 Mpjp is feral

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

It's lovely but you are crazy!!! I can't tell you what's gone on our couch, and only some of that was from kids!!!! We also got the store protection treatment  but its not like youve covered tge couch in a dirt repelling force field !! Id slip cover it, but also try to put something under the slip cover and pop some throws on top. I'd only remove all this when I wanted to show it off!!

#7 causeway

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Nice lounge - looks comfy. If you do get it professionally cleaned you will need to have it scotchgarded again.

We have a standard lounge and two recliners from Harvey Norman and have had it steam cleaned a few times and always get it scotchgarded again

#8 farfaraway

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

It's gorgeous. You're crazy! I wish you nothing but the best keeping it clean. My kids are pretty neat but they have still managed to spill/drop/mess our lounge up, and every time I thank my stars it is a dark leather that I can wipe clean. I would have massive anxiety with a white lounge.

#9 Vesper79

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Im having anxiety already and its not even delivered yet!

#10 Jenferal

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Oh, you don't have pets too do you? I can't imagine a cat and a white fabric lounge...

But then again, i can't imagine paying that much for one lounge and not a whole suite (leather) either!

#11 JillyJellyBean

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Madness. Is it too late to return it? If you cover it with slip covers it could be any counch uner there right? I think save the pretty (and expensive) sofa till the kids move out.

Sorry OP.

#12 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

You've bought the lounge already, so unless you can exchange it, I would definitely put a slip cover on it, preferably one custom made to fit the lounge. You could choose another colour for the slip that will hide any potential stains better. Then when the kids are older - voila - you remove the cover and you have your beautiful white lounge, ready to enjoy in pristine condition!
Different story but I regret not putting some kind of cover over my black leather lounge when I first bought it as my cat was a kitten then and was a bit crazy on smooth surfaces and slid across the chaise lounge bit and scratched it a fair bit. Anyway just mentioning that regret in case it helps you with your decision.

Edited by WhimsicalDragonfly, 06 January 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#13 babychacha

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

I have a dark brown sofa with washable covers and DS is 5. Thankfully I can sponge most of it off. Most dirt comes from his hands and I'm quite a stickler for him washing his hands. I also have wipes handy all the time. His fave is to pick his nose and .........

Make sure you don't put newspapers on it, handbags etc. Anything like that adds dirt and eventually it gets a bit of a grey look around the edges.

#14 LittleListen

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

See how that lady is standng on the lounge?

Yep, that's probably what your kids would do.

Buy two sets of slip covers and rotate them when you wash them so they can't get to the lounge in between.
Then buy new slip covers every couple of years until they move out.

Then you can have your lounge back!

(Don't worry - I feel your pain - DH insisted on a white leather set, we don't' have kids but it already has pen marks and just gets generally grubby from use. I have to clean it more regularly than I would another colour).

Edited by eyesabove, 06 January 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#15 Epitome

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

It's very pretty , but I wouldn't buy it in a million years and I don't even have kids.

We have a black leather ls and a brown leather ls.... We conditioner treat then every few weeks and wipe them down whenever necessary....

White carpet drives me crazy .... White furniture is a no

#16 Vesper79

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks people, i wouldnt have bought it without the big discount, which kinds mitigates the potential problems!

2 slip covers it is....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.