Smart Phones
Sorry to ask a really basic question

9 replies to this topic

#1 anasam

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

DH has asked if I would like to buy a smart phone, he is keen on having GPS available. Trouble is I don't actually know what one will do for me.  I am not into social media that much (it would tick me off if I got facebook notifications all the time). Most of that stuff I can do on my home computer. So tell me, how will having a smart phone enhance my life?

#2 indigo~

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

I finally made the leap about 6 weeks ago to a smart phone and the best feature for me (with a new bub) is having a camera on hand to take heaps of photos/videos and then being able to immediately email/message them to friends and family. Previously I would have to connect my camera to my laptop to download them first.

#3 Tobias'smum

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

the thing i use all the time is the maps app ( i havent updated my phone as the new version had a few problems) i used to have to use public transport with ds but even now with work etc i put in where i am going from where to and the time and gives me bus/train /ferry (in perth) route for a few times around my time - its great if going somewhere i am unsure of.

I now use it if i am driving somewhere new i put it in before i go that way if i get lost i pull over it finds where i am and i get new directions.

i also use the camera for other things than  photos of ds - my main one - i take pictures of receipies so i dont have to write them out .

I didnt think i would use it much either but i love it as if you are out you can look up something you may need online etc

oh i also do bank transfers DH  has access to 1 account as hes hopless with spending - he calls i transfer money via bank app and he can use it within minutes\.

You can turn notifications off i use fb on my phone but turned the notifications off original.gif

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I got mine for the having a camera on hand all the time. And it's fantastic for that.
I've unexpectedly become very reliant on the maps too.
The torch is often quite handy, and also the free messaging apps and notepad get a good workout - never again need to worry about finding a pen and paper for anything.

And despite my initial belief that I didn't need this, being able to google something or get on the internet or check my emails anytime I want, has actually become really useful to me. I can't do without it now.

Only thing that sucks is the battery life!

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

TBHi have one and regularly go back to a standard phone when I get jack of having to always recharge the battery.

taking photos or video of the kids upon occasion is good but not essential.

Maybe once in a blue moon do I really use any smart phone features.

#6 anasam

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for that. I can see us using maps from time to time but as we live in the country I think a lot of the apps would be useless to us (eg time tables - we have no public transport). the photo app would be handy though. My sister emails me photos sometimes forgetting that I can't open them!
I am wondering now though if an ipad (or something similar) would do just as well.
Can an ipad/iphone help keep you organised with appointments etc? At the moment I put appointment reminders in my phone but it is a bit fiddly.

#7 whatnamenow

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (anasam @ 06/01/2013, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can an ipad/iphone help keep you organised with appointments etc? At the moment I put appointment reminders in my phone but it is a bit fiddly.

The newer Iphones are great for appointments.  You just use press one button and say what appointment and when and it will shedule it for you in your calender.

#8 emma_jean

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have an Android - fave features are Google Calendar, task list, camera, net banking app and maps. original.gif

#9 FiveAus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

I use the reminders app on my iPhone, it's very easy to use and you can set the time you want to be reminded at.
Also, the notes app is fantastic, I write my shopping lists on them and if I'm buying ingredients for a recipe, I keep the note so I can refer back to it again.

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I use my ipad mini more then my phone for reminders etc.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.