Intercoms in 2 storey house

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TiredbutHappy

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Just wondering for those who live in 2 storey houses do you have intercoms?  We're putting the final touches on our build, due to start soon and haven't factored in any wiring for these to be added.  Do you just call out to each other?  It's a 380m2 house so it's quite big, but I'm assuming wiring it will cost a bomb is it worth it?

#2 melaine

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

My parents have intercom in their big 2 storey house. It's never been used other as a novelty and it was handy a few times instead of a baby monitor when my kids slept there. You could listen to the radio on it as well I think.

I don't think I'd bother - but I would consider it if the wiring included being able to seam music to all rooms etc.

#3 ~ppp~

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

-

Edited by knowsnotmuch, 01 March 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#4 TiredbutHappy

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (knowsnotmuch @ 06/01/2013, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ditto in a 5 x 3 double storey house. Never used!

Thank you! That's one disagreement put to rest between DH & I, now for the other 99......

#5 Matthias' mum

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

We had one in my parents very large house when I was growing up. The only things it was used for was to listen the radio and for dad to eavesdrop on our phone conversations when we were wayward teenagers.

#6 gemgirl

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

My ex had it at his mum 's house, mostly for her to call him upstairs etc

#7 Veryclucky

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

My parents just use their phone as it has an intercom function on it. They have a phone in the dining room, one in the study (both upstairs) and one in the granny flat downstairs.

It was mainly used to tell people downstairs that dinner is ready or its actual purpose which was to transfer calls to other people.

Useful but not used for everytime you wanted to speak to someone in another part of the house, we were expected to go and find the person if they couldn't hear you when you called out.

#8 JRA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

We have had in both houses, never used them

#9 *LucyE*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

I wouldn't bother for a plain intercom system. Growing up, mum found it better to just go up and call us in person - kept it a lot more personal and human.

Our living area is only single storey but it's long. I do call out but also use the transfer/intercom function of our cordless phones.

If you are talking about wiring the house for technology, I would consider CBus or equivalent because it also incorporates media applications. We have done it as a retrofit which has been more complicated than if it was incorporated at the building stage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.