Toilet training some questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cb2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

What toilet seat do you recommend?
Did you have your LO wear pull ups all the time when toilet training or training material pants?
What age did you start your child?
How long did they take to be day toilet trained?
How long to be fully toilet trained?
Any tips/advice/ etc
am about to start the TT journey and sooooo looking forward to when will be nappy free!!

Thanks for your help

Sorry did not see the specific Toilet training forum have posted there

Edited by cb2, 06 January 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#2 laridae

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I used the toilet seat with a ladder, DD likes to climb up herself.  We use a potty as well.
No pullups.  I did use padded training undies (from Best & Less) for a few days but didn't really need them.
DD was about 27 months old.
Took, about a day for wees (well, she had no accidents the first day), about 4 for poos (as she was only doing them every 2nd day).  She occasionally still has accidents, but they are more of the 'forgot to pull down her undies before sitting' kind, not the 'don't quite understand' kind.
She started being dry overnight at the same time, we probably get one wet nappy overnight every 2-3 weeks.  We still use nappies overnight just in case (cloth ones).

Wait until they are ready!  If they know when they need to go, they are ready.  If they know when they've been, the are probably very nearly ready.

#3 laridae

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

DP

Edited by laridae, 06 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#4 One_feral_dirtgirl

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Every child is different, so there are no hard and fast rules for TTing. My daughter took ages to be fully toilet trained (at least 6-months to be fully day-trained, and much, much longer for night training), while my son has pretty much taken a week to be completely toilet trained - both day and night.

I personally found it easier to start with pull ups, and then transitioned to underpants when I felt my child was ready to take things seriously.  As far as potty vs toilet, I offered both options to my children, especially at the beginning.  In the early days of training, a potty can be very handy, as you can position it close to your child, so they don't have the pressure of running to the loo.

Also, try to keep your child in clothes that are easy to remove at the beginning, so that can quickly pull them down when they feel the urge.

My best advice is to try to not place too much pressure on you child or yourself to TT. If things aren't progressing or either one of you is getting frustrated, then it's probably best to back off, and try again later.  

Good luck with it...my first TTing experience was very traumatic for both me and my DD. Thankfully I learned from my mistakes, and TTing DS has been a breeze by comparison.

#5 cb2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thank-you for your advice and replies they have helped

#6 Baggy

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

We used a folding step-seat thing. Not sure of the brand or where its from - it was bought for us.

DD1 just went straight into knickers. That way she knew when she was wet and had an accident. We never used pull ups.  

I tried starting her around two but it was a massive fail. She just wasn't ready. I tried again just before she turned 3 and she was trained within a week or so?  She stopped wearing night nappies after two weeks (her choice).  

I agree with this:
My best advice is to try to not place too much pressure on you child or yourself to TT. If things aren't progressing or either one of you is getting frustrated, then it's probably best to back off, and try again later

Edited by Baggy, 06 January 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#7 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

What toilet seat do you recommend? we used a seat like this with a step/stool like this.  The stool still gets used by our 4yo, although we stopped using the seat ages ago.  The seat was good to throw in the car when we went away, visiting, camping etc.

This traveller-folding toilet seat was great when we were out and about, for use on public toilet seats.  Folds up, so easy to put into larger handbags etc.

Did you have your LO wear pull ups all the time when toilet training or training material pants? Put both kids into little regular knickers.  At night, they still wore nappies, but once they woke up, it was just knickers.  Never used pull-ups.

What age did you start your child?  DD1 was about 2y9m.  DD2 was about 2y3m.  We did it when they were keen to ditch the nappies, they were having longer dry periods in nappies and seemed to be ready.

How long did they take to be day toilet trained?
DD1 - maybe 4-5 weeks .  Then for the next 2-3 months, she might have had an accident every fortnight or so maybe??
DD2 - 2-3 weeks max.  She figured it out very quickly (from watching her big sister I think).  A month later, she wanted to stop wearing nappies at night and she was nappy-free by about 2.5yo.  Surprised DH and I, we never expected that.  She's had only a handful of accidents since there (turns 4 this month).

How long to be fully toilet trained?  DD1 was day trained by about 3yo.  But in terms of being fully TT (day and night), it took longer.  She started "night TT" just after she turned 4.  She was probably 4y3m when she was fully TT, day and night
For DD2, see above.

It really depends on the child I think.

It is much easier to do it during summer, simply because the kids don't have layers of clothing to remove.  And also when night TT, it generally means no blankets/doonas to worry about.  DD1 TTed in summer, but DD2 wanted to ditch the nappies in May/June - it was not particularly fabulous for me, but she was really keen, so we went with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.