iron tablets

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Does anyone know if you can get iron tablets in a big bottle? dh and i are taking the swiss ones and they only come in a bottle of 30s which only does us a fortnight and works out to be a lot of money every month...
So can you get a big bottle of iron out there?

thanks biggrin.gif

#2 *Lib*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I take iron and I get mine from behind the counter. Way TMI warning, but it turns my poo black. The dr said this is the way you know you are getting plenty of iron. Mine are in a bottle with a green lid.

#3 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Have you had a blood test to see if you actually need iron?  The ferrograd ones work out cheaper than the Swisse ones.

#4 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Have you had a blood test to see if you actually need iron?

Yes we both have.

#5 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

The ferrograd ones work out cheaper than the Swisse ones.

Just did a google of them and they have bad reviews

#6 *Lib*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Mine are ferro-gradumet and they seem to be doing the trick.

#7 *Lib*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Found this about the swisse ones:
Not for the treatment of iron deficiency conditions.  If symptoms persist consult your health care professional. Vitamins can only be of assistance if the dietary vitamin intake is inadequate. No added gluten, lactose, egg, yeast, salt, preservatives, aritificial colours and flavours.

#8 *Lib*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Indication of Ferro-Gradumet:
Treatment and prevention of iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia. May be useful for patients who are unable to tolerate some other iron medications.

#9 blueteddy

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Swisse iron tablets taste horrible! I am using the blackmores iron tablets now - much more mild flavour and cheaper. I got a bottle of 80.

#10 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Swisse iron tablets taste horrible! I am using the blackmores iron tablets now - much more mild flavour and cheaper. I got a bottle of 80.

Thanks will look into that.

#11 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Found this about the swisse ones:
Not for the treatment of iron deficiency conditions. If symptoms persist consult your health care professional. Vitamins can only be of assistance if the dietary vitamin intake is inadequate. No added gluten, lactose, egg, yeast, salt, preservatives, aritificial colours and flavours

I am not sure what this means lol?
We both have been taking this for a few months now and have felt good.

We don't eat a lot of meat.

#12 *Lib*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Its prob only to boost iron, not treat full blown iron deficiency!

#13 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I am using the blackmores iron tablets now - much more mild flavour and cheaper. I got a bottle of 80.

Is that for both men and women's?

#14 MooGuru

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

I use Spatone liquid iron supplements. They aren't the cheapest but have been advised by doctor, nutritionist and pharmacist that liquid iron supplements are much better than tablets as the body is able to absorb it better. There's a small and medium box and then there's a jumbo boxwith possibly 100sachets - I haven't found jumbo box (also haven't gone out of my way to look for it).

#15 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Ferrograd was recommended by our gastro and paed.

You are surely not relying on iron supps longterm as opposed to adjusting your vegetarian diet?  You are much better off sorting out vegetarian sources of iron than using supps.

#16 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

We both had a blood test and mine came back a little low at 22 and my dh was the same. So we only need something to give us a little boost.

Edited by *melrose*, 06 January 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#17 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Ok can someone please tell me what food we have to eat that has a lot of iron in it? i know meat has iron.

#18 purplekitty

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (*melrose* @ 06/01/2013, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok can someone please tell me what food we have to eat that has a lot of iron in it? i know meat has iron.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...ficiency_adults

What did your Dr. recommend when he gave you your results?

#19 antonietta8

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Kiwi fruit has high iron content

#20 MooGuru

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

A lot of cereals are fortified with iron. Also legumes, green vegies, quinoa just off the top of my head.. There's lots of iron available thats veg friendly but the iron.in.meat is more readily absorbed than that in vegie sources so make sure you get vitamin c at the same time as that helps with absorption.
Also if your vit B12 is low that can impact on your ability to absorb iron.

#21 *melrose*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

What did your Dr. recommend when he gave you your results?

She said take tablets that all.

#22 *Lib*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Yep I get B12 monthly and take iron. Spinach is high in iron I think! Isnt that why popeye was so strong?

#23 *melrose*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Spinach is high in iron I think! Isnt that why popeye was so strong?
  roll2.gif

#24 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Take your iron tablets with a glass of fresh orange juice, or a vit c tablet or buy a combined vit c/ iron tablet- taking vit c with iron helps you absorb the iron much better. Ferrograd comes in a combined version.

#25 JJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (MooGuru @ 06/01/2013, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use Spatone liquid iron supplements. They aren't the cheapest but have been advised by doctor, nutritionist and pharmacist that liquid iron supplements are much better than tablets as the body is able to absorb it better. There's a small and medium box and then there's a jumbo boxwith possibly 100sachets - I haven't found jumbo box (also haven't gone out of my way to look for it).

Yes! I had great success with them, even though they contain less iron than the tablets and are more expensive. However they didn't give me any stomach troubles (unlike the tablets), and really helped with my iron levels. My GP was incredibly impressed (she hadn't heard of them before I told her about them). For a while I got them off eBay through a UK seller - worked out cheaper even with the postage included, but they've since increased their prices so now I'd just get them from the local chemist or health food shop.

QUOTE (Swahili @ 07/01/2013, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take your iron tablets with a glass of fresh orange juice, or a vit c tablet or buy a combined vit c/ iron tablet- taking vit c with iron helps you absorb the iron much better. Ferrograd comes in a combined version.

This is very important - also, don't have dairy or tea with your iron tablets (not sure about coffee and other caffeinated beverages) as they can hinder absorption. I used to have my Spatone in apple juice.

Edited by JJ, 07 January 2013 - 09:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.