Preparing for high bushfire risk tomorrow

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CherryAmes

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

OK, so apparently tomorrow is going to be a high bushfire risk for people in bush areas.

I am putting together a box of personal items to take to a relative's house as we will be away from the house (we certainly aren't planning to stay and defend).

So far I have birth certificates, baby keepsake boxes, scrapbooks, passports, hard drive backup. I'll have my laptop and my wallet with my cards etc in it.

What am I forgetting? We don't really have any important heirlooms or anything particularly valuable that I can think of.

#2 elmo_mum

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

a suitcase of clothes, food and toys

pets?

previous photos?

#3 red_squirrel

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

medicines
scripts
bank statements, paperwork etc

#4 Chelara

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Insurance papers, any medicines and scripts.

#5 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Insurance policy documents.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Anything that you know will be hard to replace if the worst happens.

Gather up all your perishables & put them in an esky as well to take. Electricity may be cut for a few days & also, the water in your pipes may be very dirty.

Photographs.

Chargers for phone & computers.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 07 January 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#7 CherryAmes

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

OK, don't need to worry about medicines, but why bank statements, isn't it all online?

#8 MrsLightyear

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I'd also pack enough clothes to get your family by should the worst happen.
Hope all goes well tomorrow.

#9 Excentrique Feral

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Spare cash.
All photos.

#10 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Sorry to be such an accountant but tax receipts for anything you've claimed (the bank statements thingy reminded me) for the last 2 tax returns you have lodged.

I've had a few clients who have been audited & were in the unfortunate position to have lost documentation in the Qld floods, we've learnt that the ATO is very unforgiving when you tell them the documents have been damaged.

#11 Katie_bella

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...amp;hl=bushfire

This topic was posted on Friday, it has lots of the info you need on it.

#12 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 07/01/2013, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to be such an accountant but tax receipts for anything you've claimed (the bank statements thingy reminded me) for the last 2 tax returns you have lodged.

I've had a few clients who have been audited & were in the unfortunate position to have lost documentation in the Qld floods, we've learnt that the ATO is very unforgiving when you tell them the documents have been damaged.

That is so wrong of the ATO.

#13 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (Katakacpk @ 07/01/2013, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is so wrong of the ATO.

Tell me about it - we thought they would have been covered under a provision of natural disaster. I think the auditor we got at the ATO thought it means you get extra time to source the information from elsewhere!

Needless to say it's currently under objection - but even if you have them scanned to disc, it can be a timesaver.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.