Dog crate arrived
And it's huge!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Bickie's crate arrived today. I've set it up in our bedroom and it's huge as I bought the recommended size for a full-grown lab. Will it be ok to just use it as is, or should I block half of it off? I was going to get one with a divider but forgot to see if they did one for this particular crate.

#2 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Ok, first exploration of the crate was short but very exciting. Second exploration was slightly longer and included food, lots of excitement and a huge wee. Hmmm....

#3 lozoodle

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I don't have a huge experience with crating as I only really crate mine during winter overnight, but I would probably make it smaller for now. I think the theory behind it is they instinctively don't like to toilet in their bedding area, so with no room to move, that might address the wee issue?

#4 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

She has a tendency to wee on her bed, walk away and then come back and sleep on the wee anyway, so I'm not entirely convinced the crating will stop it. It's more so she has her own safe space and to help with her separation anxiety.

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hooray!

Leave it as a large area - if she develops the habit of sleeping in a non-wee spot, all the better. (If you can find a cover for it, that will make it even cosier. Don't forget to treat her whenever she pays it a visit. wink.gif )

It will make it easier for her to learn not to wee at all when she gets bigger, and better bladder control.

With regard to the weeing, remember to be OTT when praising her for toileting outdoors. Very important for dogs that are anxious, so they develop positives associated with toileting outdoors, and eventually this turns into the only place they want to go.

With my middle dog (slow to TT overnight), I rotated 3 large, old towels through her crate - one soaking in Napisan, one in the wash, and one as her bed. It may encourage her to be clean over night, as she's starting from a clean base.

When you start with the crate, remember to do lots of pits stops for the first few weeks. So, a very late one, a couple through the night, and an very early one. When she achieves 'dry' overnight, its time to drop one of the overnighters.

Also, limit water after 9:00pm. Make sure you're setting her up to win lots of praise, rather than setting her up to wee.

good luck - if you have any questions, happy to answer them.

#6 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Spikey. original.gif

She usually does really well overnight and only does one wee on a puppy pad. Last night though, I took her outside for a wee at 11pm and she hadn't wee'd inside when the kids and I got up at 5:30am so I took her out and she did a wee and a poo outside straight away. I was very proud and she got loads of OTT praise (I had no treats on me).

She only wee's on her bed during the day, not overnight. But she'll happily sleep on wee covered Bec at night yet get up and use a puppy pad. Strange.

I only started with the puppy pads because she couldn't walk down the back stairs on her own when we first got her, but she generally prefers to go outside. She has fairly obvious signs when she's about to go, so I try to take her outside as soon as I see them and she nearly always goes within a minute. Considering she's still such a baby, I'm actually pretty happy with how she's going. I haven't scolded her for any toileting accidents, but I really OTT praise and often treat the outside successes (I don't go OTT for puppy pad ones anymore, but I do praise her still).

#7 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hee Hee, stupid iPhone autocorrect!

#8 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

The wee on the bed thing is usually a hanger-onerer from puppyhood. When they're puppies, they have no control, so go wherever. Beds being an obvious recipient of targeting. So to a dog, it seems 'normal' to wee on a bed, just like you would wee on a puppy pad or outside. Ignoring it (well, apart from cleaning it up) with a focus on the praise for outdoors should eventually extinguish that behaviour - besides, as she gets bigger, her wee will stink far more, and it will be less 'pleasant' to lie in. wink.gif

#9 Just us

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Sorry I must of sounded rude or something so deleted wink.gif

Edited by Jaxxie1, 08 January 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#10 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Jaxxie, the crate only arrived yesterday. Before that she was sleeping in the lounge room (with either DH or me on the sofa bed), so we had a puppy pad in the room as otherwise she would wee on the floor.

Anyway, last night was pretty successful I think. She slept in the crate with the door open next to my bed all night. No wee's in it and a big wee and poo outside this morning. biggrin.gif I'm very happy with how she went!

#11 lozoodle

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Sounds like a successful first night tthumbs.gif

#12 Therese

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Clever Bickie!

#13 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

A true Labradog. wink.gif

Oh, and just because I'm posting, anyone in the Canberra region who is interested in Yum Cha on 13 February, should sign up in the ACT forum.  biggrin.gif

#14 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Second night was a definite success! All night long with the door locked and not a peep (or a wee). Kids woke her up around 5:30 and I took her outside where she did a huge wee and a poo. What a good puppy! biggrin.gif

#15 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 09/01/2013, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Second night was a definite success! All night long with the door locked and not a peep (or a wee). Kids woke her up around 5:30 and I took her outside where she did a huge wee and a poo. What a good puppy! biggrin.gif

w00t sounds like a success!

#16 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

That seems to have worked well! biggrin.gif

Clever Bickie!

#17 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

She was sleeping all night long on her bed, next to my bed before. So it's not much of a difference really - i put her bed in the crate and the crate is right next to my bed. But I'm still very impressed with her. original.gif Now, if only I could get her to stop mouthing/biting/nipping, she'd be the perfect puppy! wink.gif

#18 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

The squeal is for biting, mouthing and nipping. wink.gif

#19 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I know. Still trying to find my big girl pants, I promise. wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.