Baby expo when not pregnant?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JessicaViolet

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

There's a baby expo coming to Sydney in May.  (http://www.pbcexpo.com.au/sydney/)
I want to go, and take my mother-in-law. However I am not pregnant. My husband and I have been trying since late 2011 with no luck so far.

DH says I should go anyway; MIL and I will have fun, and it's good research. Do you think I'm an idiot if I go to a baby expo when I'm not actually expecting? I'm hoping I will be by then and this will all be moot. I'd love some opinions.

Edited by JessicaViolet88, 07 January 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#2 mama123

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I started buying baby clothes at least 12 months before even TTC. biggrin.gif

As long as it doesn't upset you, I don't see the harm. original.gif

#3 Mose

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I think the question you have to consider is:

If you are NOT pregnant by then, will you still think it is fun,exciting, interesting....or will it upset you?

May is only 4 months away,  so I imagine how you are feeling about your TTC journey now will be a good guide.  For example:

- When friends announce they are pregnant - are you just plain thrilled for them?  or are you thrilled for them and sad for you at the same time?

- When you walk around the shopping malls - do you get upset about how many bumps/prams you see?

If you are still feeling pretty balanced and happy and philosophical about the whole thing, then I would go for it.  If on the other hand, you are starting to get down about it...you have to weigh up the risk that you will actually find it upsetting.

#4 Oriental lily

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

My sil had four miscarriages in a row and could not resist buying lovely cheap baby clothes on a USA trip.
Her DH was hesitant but it let her stay in a positive mind frame.
She is a 'glass half full' sort of person.

She went on to give birth to her first child st the end of the same year of the trip.

So yeah op go if you feel you will enjoy it.

I imagine there would also be fertility displays ect as well?

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think if you are happy to go then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I bought baby stuff before I even met my DH original.gif
Go and enjoy.

#6 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Go for it! there will be women in all different stages of life there, I doubt anybody would look at you with any confusion, you are a woman, and it is a women's issue original.gif

#7 MrsLightyear

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I say go, they are lots of fun and you might be too busy to make the next one  wink.gif
Just don't get sucked into buying too much, your tastes and parenting ideas might change heaps before you have your baby.

Edited by MrsLightyear, 07 January 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#8 Leggy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

So long as it's not distressing to you, then why not? You can always say you are thinking ahead and gathering ideas before there is any pressure biggrin.gif I love baby clothes and toys and lotions and decorations and...squee! Don't need a baby to enjoy it, hey?

#9 Missy Shelby

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

If you are not pregnant by then but you still feel happy and excited to go I see why not go and explore.

Doesn't hurt to see what products are out there for when you do have a bub.

Best of luck for your TTC journey, I hope it happens for you soon!  original.gif

#10 Jenferal

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Just be prepared to be asked a hundred times"When are you due" as I'm sure that'll be a very common question.
I went to a wedding expo once and was asked a hundred times when my wedding was going to be. I'm sure it'll be a similar thing.

#11 Ally'smum

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think I would enjoy it more not pregnant, I found pregnancy very stressful so enjoy any part of it you can!

#12 Bubble11

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I bought baby things and books and stuff before we were even TTC.  Really wanted to start but needed to lose a lot of weight first.  I say go for it so long as you don't think it will upset you.  If you're asked when are you due you can just say 'you're here with a friend' or 'after something for a friend'.

Edited by Bubble11, 07 January 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#13 miraclebaby11

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I went to one when I wasn't pregnant and generally it is all aimed at parenting but I actually found it interesting to see what options were out there.

We had been trying for so e time and generally pregnant women upset me but going there didn't bother me at all.

#14 elizabethany

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Now I am tempted to go road tripping to a baby expo.  I would go if you don't get upset over the TTC thing, and yes, you will be asked A LOT when you are due.

#15 JessicaViolet

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone original.gif I am still in a positive frame of mind, I have a little cry every month but on the whole I'm pretty glass half full. I'm excited when friends announce their pregnancies. I do think it will happen for me eventually.
It actually didn't occur to me that people there will ask if I'm due... I think I'll see how I'm feeling in May and if it feels like it will be too much then I won't go. It looks fun at this stage though, I want to check out all the stalls! I just don't want to feel like a phony or get upset seeing everything/all the bumps. I guess we'll see.

#16 silver-rain

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I agree, if you're ok with being around all things baby, go for it!
Don't forget to sign up for your free ticket too, and be prepared, it's generally super noisy and you will have never seen so many prams in any one place at any one time!

#17 CountryFeral

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

If you want to go - go!

#18 bebe12

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

HI,
Just thought i would add that our local swimming centre had free entry tickets to the expo. so keep an eye out at places that cater to kids. might as well get in for nothing biggrin.gif

#19 Wishing2011

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I wouldn't worry what other people think. Do what you want. I personally couldn't do it after going through a miscarriage but if I was up for it I was invited to join my friends last year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.