Myer Bondi Junction removes plus size clothing section

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 melandned

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

How does this make you feel?  I am so angry - I am right on the cusp being a size 16 so don't necessarily need the section but I feel it's totally discriminatory.
My Size was gone the last time i went too
Are they not getting the customers there or do they not want the plus size customers?
WDYT?

#2 Still-here!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Maybe ask?

They might come back with differend (plus size) line or simply don't havevthe clientele for it?

I'm a 16/18 but can't really see this asva reason to get angry as such. One less customer for them!

#3 JECJEC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Retail is really hard at the moment - look at the sales. If they were making money from it they wouldn't remove it.

#4 melandned

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

i did ask, they lady didn't know just said you have to go to the city now to purchase

#5 Soontobegran

Wow!
Maybe it isn't a Bondi thing to be over a 14 because the plus size section at our local Myer store is taking up more floor space and increasing the number of labels.
It must be more acceptable to be cuddly in Melbourne's eastern suburbs  wink.gif  

Is there another you can try close by OP?

#6 CountryFeral

You aren't going to get rid of something that was turning a profit.  It obviously wasn't.

Shops aren't community services - they are money making machines.

#7 antigone_

Appalling, but pretty in line with anything I have seen happen in the East. I don't identify with the culture over there in the slightest and size snobbery is rife. I worked over there for many years, in and around fashion people.

I'd be happy if I never went East again - prejudiced... yes, I admit it.

#8 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 07/01/2013, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You aren't going to get rid of something that was turning a profit.  It obviously wasn't.

Shops aren't community services - they are money making machines.

this

In Bondi, it probably wasn't suiting the majority of their clientele, hence they got rid of it to expand the sections/departments that are making them some money.

#9 *dreamer*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Not sure how it's discriminatory.  It was clearly not a money earner for them so they removed it.

#10 melandned

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

ok fair point original.gif

#11 Kitteh of Babylon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

IMHO the choice of clothing for sizes 16+ in Australia is mostly hideous, and I think customers are turning to internet shopping from the US and UK - the prices are far cheaper and the options are many and varied.  Although I do like Taking Shape clothes, they are waaaaay expensive.

Try:

www.yoursclothing.co.uk
www.evans.co.uk
www.onestopplus.com
www.torrid.com
www.kiyonna.com
www.igigi.com
www.lanebryant.com
www.hipsandcurves.com (for lingerie)
www.asos.com (plus size range called Curve) free shipping to Australia
www.newlook.com  (plus size range called Inspire)

to name a few...

#12 Funwith3

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

I don't see it as being discrimination.... obviously it just wasn't paying off. The demand for plus size clothing in that particular Myer store is probably not really there.

#13 Coffeegirl

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Miranda Myer has 1/2 a floor of plus size labels.  And some half decent styles too.

Personally I hate shopping at Westfield Bondi.  The stores are all too trendy for me and way too spread out sad.gif. And now that it has Zara I'll be avoiding it like the plague.  

#14 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm in the plus size range and never ever shop at myer for clothes. They ate over priced and for an older demographic. I buy all my clothes from UK & US stores as the clothes are in fashion and aren't feral.
We in Australia have the worst range for plus size. Good thing I'm going to the UK soon and hopefully 15 kilos lighter get my shopping on.

I don't think it's discrimination they are saving the people of bondi from the feral myer plus size fashions that the "designers" think are loved.

#15 puddina

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

how very frustrating, David Jones in Chadstone here in Victoria doesn't stock plus size, but David Jones has never been great for the bigger girl. Our Myer has a growing section.

#16 Orangedrops

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Yeah why should fat people expect to be ale to go to a shopping centre like everyone else and buy clothes, they are sub human anyway so their needs don't matter.

#17 antigone_

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Orangedrops @ 07/01/2013, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah why should fat people expect to be ale to go to a shopping centre like everyone else and buy clothes, they are sub human anyway so their needs don't matter.

I agree with this level of sarcasm. I think Myer Bondi should stock Plus Size clothing. I don't understand all the leniency here, but hey, we're all entitled to what we think original.gif

#18 Escapin

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Fat people aren't allowed in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney - didn't you get the memo?

#19 fooiesmum

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I am plus sized and I too like the option of a good browse around the shops.  

Given that more than 50% of the women in Australia are over a size 14 there is a large plus size market - it's such a shame that Australian retailers think it's ok to not stock a good plus size range - this just pushes the online option which whilst good for the shopper isn't great for the Australian retail/clothing manufacturer and as an Australian plus size women's clothing manufacturer I can tell you it's bloody hard work getting a foot in and showing women that there are options for them.  

My money is just as good as a lady who is a size 12 but alas Westfield don't see it that way - pushing out small independent boutiques are charging MASSIVE rents meaning every square cm of a shop must produce big $$$$$ if it wants to stay on the retail floor.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know about my brand which fills a niche in the plus size womens clothing market.

Edited by fooiesmum, 07 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#20 cinnabubble

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

You know those little people that you see at Luna Park that say "You must be this tall to ride here"? Well, at the bottom of Oxford Street they have a cut out silhouette of a model. Underneath is written "you must be this thin to enter here". Apparently that's how they keep fat people out of the Eastern Suburbs.

#21 LambChop

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Obviously the demand is not there. They wouldn't take something out if it was selling well. It's not a charity.

Shopping for clothes is a privilege not a right, I don't get the out-rage... simply go to another store.

Edited by LambChop, 07 January 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#22 Velvetta

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sorrier for the desperates in the eastern suburbs who have to stay lollipop size all the time or be dumped by their sugar daddies or bosses or size 6 "friends" who wouldn't want to be seen with a fat chick.
Yuck.
Give me the country anytime

#23 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Edited by sparkler, 20 January 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#24 OutForLunch

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

There are certainly women size 14 and over in the Eastern suburbs, I know a lot of them! The thing is being the Eastern suburbs the range at Myer isn't their idea of fashion! More likely to be seen in flowing Camilla caftans than 3/4 pants with elastic waistbands or under the bust flared dresses!
It's supply and demand, Myer isn't exactly cutting edge in their plus size, the women of this area can afford to pay more and go elsewhere.
Saying all Eastern suburb women are size 6 sugar Daddy enabled women is insulting and untrue. You'll find the majority have a career and earn equal to their husbands...... Not sugar Daddy!
Sounds like touch of jealousy from some EB women....

#25 red_squirrel

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Of course there are plus sized people in Bondi, they just don't shop at Myer.
Probably pick up items on overseas trips.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.