Taking children to the GP
At what point do you go?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kismama

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

XP has our DD's 1 night a week.... 2 at a push.

Upon returning them, he usually makes mention of some health "concern" (cough, runny nose etc) and asks me if I have/can take them to the doctor.

Last week it was DD2's nagging cough (which really wasn't bothering her, didn't keep her awake, and wasn't producing phlegm)

Today it was DD1's "green snot" ... I've had her back since 10am. It's now after 5 and she's not sniffled once.

Am I being stubborn not taking my children to the GP every time they have a singular symptom?

As a child, we only went to the doctor once Panadol, rest and water was proving inaffective.

TBH the above "ailments" haven't warranted any medication or special care (despite XP dropping the girls back with a bottle of cough syrup last fortnight.... which is still sealed in the cupboard.)

#2 Charri36

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Kismama @ 07/01/2013, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
XP has our DD's 1 night a week.... 2 at a push.

Upon returning them, he usually makes mention of some health "concern" (cough, runny nose etc) and asks me if I have/can take them to the doctor.

Last week it was DD2's nagging cough (which really wasn't bothering her, didn't keep her awake, and wasn't producing phlegm)

Today it was DD1's "green snot" ... I've had her back since 10am. It's now after 5 and she's not sniffled once.

Am I being stubborn not taking my children to the GP every time they have a singular symptom?

As a child, we only went to the doctor once Panadol, rest and water was proving inaffective.

TBH the above "ailments" haven't warranted any medication or special care (despite XP dropping the girls back with a bottle of cough syrup last fortnight.... which is still sealed in the cupboard.)

He could be trying to build a case of negligence against you. So be careful. What I would do is write him a friendly email that he is welcome to take the kids to the Dr's anytime - ( really ffs, if he's concerned why is he landing it all with you) - Hey, if the kids are sick, they will be treated, but if it's hogwash, there will be many Dr's visits you will have on record to show he's being dramatic.

#3 JRA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Does he have them on his Medicare card? Can children be part of his and your card? That may be the reason he hasn't taken them?

#4 Kismama

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Charri: I don't think he's that way inclined... I've encouraged him to spend more time with them but it seems far too difficult with his busy schedule.

JRA: They have always been on his card, and he has taken them to the GP on occasion when I've been unable to get appointments in my time. Not sure why he doesn't just take them when they're there if he's so concerned - perhaps having them for 23 (or less) hours at a time has something to do with that though!

#5 Miss Kiwi

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I think it's nice that he cares!

#6 ~~K~~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (Miss Kiwi @ 07/01/2013, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's nice that he cares!

You think that it's nice that a father cares for his daughters?  huh.gif High standards you have there.

OP, I have taken my son to the GP twice (apart from vax appointments) in his nearly four years.  Both times, as you say, when a fever has not reduced by Panadol and has been present for a period of time.  Is it possible that since the girls don't exhibit symptoms while they are with you, that they are bunging it on a bit in a conscious or unconscious attempt to get him to engage with them?

Edited by ~~K~~, 08 January 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#7 Phoenix Blue

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I would not take my children to the GP on those symptoms. What's a GP going to do?

As a PP said, tell him your happy for him to take them to the GP if he is concerned when they are with him. When they are will you, it's your call, and you didn't have any concerns.

As an aside, I have a friend who takes her son to the GP for any and every symptom. I think it's rather ridiculous. If I mention one of my kids has a snuffly nose or cough etc, she'll always ask if I've taken them to the dr yet. I trust my judgement. I know when it's something more and they need medical care.

Good luck.

#8 :-) Bec

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I wouldn't take my child for those symptoms either. I also don't give Panadol unless his temp is 38.5+ and/or he is looking very unwell. We often fight these small viruses on our own and there is nothing a GP will say except for Panadol, rest and fluid. I also don't like the idea of being exposed to all the other viruses which are sitting in the waiting room.

#9 mez70

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Another thing to consider if the symptoms are mild and ONLY seem to apprear and present when he has them could there be something be it plant, animal, etc at his house they are sensitive to and having mild allergic reactions.. I know certain plants have my nose running, and me coughing (good old hay fever) in a matter of minutes to hours of exposure and if I have been there a while can take a could 24 - 48 to resolve once away from source......

#10 Jax12

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Another who wouldn't take them for those symptoms.  

DH and I are together but I can imagine that if we were separated and he had DS on his own he would probably be more inclined to hear cough/see phlegm and think that = sick, which = doctors.

#11 LittleMissPink

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I would encourage him to take them to the GP for anything he is concerned about, and that you will do the same.

I would guess allergies too as PP said, if they are only "sick" at his place. Its likely there may be dust, or grass or a plant that is setting them off.

#12 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

lol I don't take them for the common cold, they go if I think it is something that needs to be treated, tonsillitis, ear infections, croup, etc. From memory I think we took DS2 once when he fell and broke his tooth outside (just to make sure there was no other damage). DS1 occasionally has to go due to eczema (it flares up when he is sick and is more susceptible to infection).

If it worries your ex so much why doesn't he take her himself to a GP?

#13 Kismama

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (~~K~~ @ 08/01/2013, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You think that it's nice that a father cares for his daughters?  huh.gif High standards you have there.

OP, I have taken my son to the GP twice (apart from vax appointments) in his nearly four years.  Both times, as you say, when a fever has not reduced by Panadol and has been present for a period of time.  Is it possible that since the girls don't exhibit symptoms while they are with you, that they are bunging it on a bit in a conscious or unconscious attempt to get him to engage with them?

Think you hit the nail on the head there  rolleyes.gif

Allergies could be something though - they have 3 dogs inside. We have 2 outside dogs but they're staying with MIL while I'm sick.

#14 strawberrycakes

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

For those symptoms no I wouldn't be taking my child to the Dr.  What are they going to do? They will just say rest, fluids & panadol if they need it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.