Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead- juicing and rebooting
A great idea or a scam? Have you Rebooted?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 librablonde

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hi all,

in my never ending quest to lose weight and feel healthy again, I recently came across a documentary on You Tube by an Aussie guy who decided to go on a 60 day juice diet to lose weight and resolve some chronic health issues he had. The doco was called "Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead". Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT6PrbctPJ4

So he drinks nothing but freshly made fruit and veggie juices for 60 days and after that he slowly reintroduces solid foods that are only plant based (fruit and veg, nuts and legumes) for about 8 months and now his diet still has juices every day, lots of plant based solid meals and the occasional treat. He and his friend lost of lot of weight doing this and have kept it off (the doco was made a few years ago) and the chronic health conditions are in remission.

So the guy seems to be a little like  a snake oil salesman but mostly  an earnest, genuine person with a message about the road to good health and our relationship with food. He talks about "rebooting" your body with fresh juices, detoxing and how the new lifestyle changes your relationship with food.

Do you know anyone who has done the Reboot? Have you lost weight doing something similar? I guess the reason why this idea appeals to me is twofold: pretty rapid weight loss and also I have a very busy life so don't have lots of time to devote to diet meal preparation. And I like the fact that you don't have to pay ongoing fees or meetings like with Jenny Craig/ Lite 'n Easy, etc. I'm a vegetarian and most major diet companies have very limited vegetarian meal plans.

So check out the movie. What do you think? A great inspiration or is it a scam?

#2 cinnabubble

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Sounds ridiculous and unsustainable. I wonder if he got the book deal before or after he started the diet.

#3 BeYOUtiful

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

pretty rapid weight loss

Those words alone would have me avoiding it like the plague.

#4 Feral Nicety

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

I've done a five day juice fast.  I cannot begin to imagine doing it for 60 days.  You are hungry  and to be indelicate, you will be doing enemas with no fibre in your gut.

I dropped several kilos and by about day 3 I was as high as a kite.  I was living by the beach, not working, not caring for kids and living in a hippie vegan household.

Cannot even begin to imagine doing it for 2 months while working and caring for a family.

#5 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#6 AnnBB

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

My SIL did it. She didn't do it for 60 days, she would do it for a week at a time and when she wasn't just 'juicing' she really watched her portions. She lost about 15 kgs or so. My BIL did it for a little bit as well. He would drink the juice during the day and have a small, healthy meal in the evening. He too saw some results.
Not really my style of weightloss, but they were using it as a little bit of a kick start rather than a long term solution. I think I like food too much to try it myself!

#7 FeralSchnitzel

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I think that, as with anything, there are some real merits to the concept, but it doesn't need to be taken to the extreme to be of use. It doesn't have to be all or nothing - how about starting with adding a green smoothie to your day? You could start with it being a snack, maybe at the time of day when you are most likely to falter diet wise, and then possibly move towards using one as a meal replacement.

#8 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (librablonde @ 07/01/2013, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the guy seems to be a little like  a snake oil salesman but mostly  an earnest, genuine person with a message about the road to good health and our relationship with food. He talks about "rebooting" your body with fresh juices, detoxing and how the new lifestyle changes your relationship with food.

I've been reading a fair bit about various liquid diets lately.  (note, this is all just my opinion)

Pretty much all "liquid VLCD diets" (eg shakes/lemon detox/juice diets) will pull out this line.  I have heard/read a lot of debates about the validity of this.  Some argue that morbidly obese people are "food addicts" and that liquid diets are the closest thing one can do to going "cold turkey" as one would with other addicitions.  Hence, by removing "food" as we traditionally know it, from your life, you have a chance to "reboot" as he says, and form a new relationship with food.  But how do you form that relationship?  Simply removing then reintroducing something is unlikely to bring about change.  

One big negative about any of these types of diet is that they don't provide roughage for your gut, and the jury is still out on how detrimental that is for your health.  The literature all seems to suggest that they might be a good option as a kick start for those very overweight, but are otherwise unneccessary, and definitely not a longer term option, because they are so unbalanced.

Shake based diets contain all sorts of nutritional supplements.  I think that in order to be getting what your body needs from juice, and juice alone, you would need to learn a lot about the nutritional content of various fruits and veg.  That education process might be beneficial in reshaping how you view different foods.  But if you are going to that level of educating yourself, to my mind, it might as well be by including a balance of whole foods, rather than whacking them through a juicer.

#9 i-candi

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Low carb, high protein, exercise. Calories in less than calories burnt. It's all you need.

Don't lose weight in an unrealistic way.

I think obsessive people find it easy to lose weight in this extreme way as once they set their mind to it then they achieve it, the length of time they maintain it depends on their obsessiveness.  (ok may not be true but after living with two obsessive people and me being soooo not obsessive I believe this).

Edited by i-candi, 07 January 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#10 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Even though every rational bone in my body knows that this is a fad diet with lots of problems, I'm tempted to try it given that my SIL lost 6k in 2 weeks doing it.

But I know it's not a good long term solution!

I may try replacing one meal a day though and see how that goes. Or just skipping the juicer step and eating the fruit and veg!

#11 Pompol

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

I've seen it too. The guy ate rubbish, worked himself into the ground and didn't exercise - then drank nothing but juice for 60 days, went on a big holiday and started looking after himself.  

If he HADN'T juiced, but had started eating a healthy diet, gone on a holiday and started looking after himself, he'd still have rebooted his body and lost a tonne of weight, and yes maybe helped his autoimmune condition too (I have a similar one and I know how much worse it gets when I'm not looking after myself!), but no gimmick to sell. Sorry, I'm an absolute cynic when it comes to this one.

#12 FeralHez

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Are they losing fat or (as I would suspect) some muscle/water?

As pp's have covered, not good long term.

GGM I think the whole fruit/veg (unjuiced) is a good plan to retain all the goodness and roughage.

#13 ~iMum~

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Interesting to see the negativity towards the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead Reboot fast. DH and I are really keen to do this, but are waiting until the cooler months when I can grow our own kale (it would be expensive for us both to do it if we were buying the kale, and I grow most of our veg inthe cooler months anyway). We are already eating a lot of raw food and juices, so it particularly appeals to us as a meal replacement for when we are too tired or busy to prepare a healthy meal and would likely turn to foods we would rather not eat.

The Reboot system is also not a diet, it is a fast. I understand the difference, but don't know enough to be able to explain it on here. Perhaps someone who can would like to comment?

#14 Oilucy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

I actually think there is a lot of merit in what he did.
I am actually saving rather hard for a Vitamix which is a whole food juicer - ie you dont just extract the juice and throw away the pulp, but the Vitamix juices/blends the whole lot into a smoothie like consistency.
I cant wait to get one and give it a go.
I did a Detox some months ago through a Naturopath which involved consuming a vegetable broth only for 4 days and then starting on juices and vegetable based meals.
I lost about 6 kg. One of the best parts of the Detox was how I really looked at what I was about to put in my mouth every time I saw food. One night DH and the kids wanted fish and chips as it was one of those late getting home weekend nights, and I bought it for them, but I cringed at the thought of putting something so fatty and bad for you into my mouth the whole Detox had really put me off it - not to mention I wasnt impressed that they were eating it either despite them wanting to! I didnt eat any either.
But getting back to your question, I dont think there is anything wrong with consuming juice (vegetable juice is so good for you!) but I would probably look to the Vitamix option so that I knew I was consuming the pulp and fibre as well...
Doing it for 6 months? Probably not as I enjoy the texture of many vegetables and would miss them, but a month or two definately.

#15 me-n-b

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

You could try doing sandra cabots liver cleansing juice fast instead?  I think the juice part of it only goes for one day and then she moves onto juice and veges soups/stews after that (from memory).
I couldn't hack even one day of only juice! felt like crud!  must have been the toxins wink.gif or caffeine withdrawals lol.
My Mum did have good results from her liver cleansing program.
Just wondering why people say there won't be roughage in your digestive system?  Fresh juice with pulp has heaps of fibre in it doesn't it?  Even 'un'fresh juice - don't they give people prune & pear juice to help move things along?

#16 ubermum

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Urgh. It's all crap. All these fad weight loss diets are. So is detoxing. Your body detoxes every day, it's called liver function.

If you want to be healthier, eat a calorie controlled diet of healthy food and do some exercise. The CSIRO diet is a good one recommended by dieticians and best of all, it's sustainable and the whole family can eat that way.

Don't raise your children watching their mother flit from one fad diet to the next. My mum did that. It's crap and has gave my sister a terrible example to follow and a difficult relationship with food. We both work hard at following a healthy lifestyle both for our own health and so we don't pass on the family yo-yo legacy to our kids. Find out why you are fat. Is it comfort eating, boredom, anxiety or some other reason? Work on that with the help of a counsellor if you need to, while you follow a healthy and sustainable eating and exercise plan.

#17 Feral Nicety

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

I did it as a fast and was around people who did it as an extreme fast.

You do not get magical amounts of energy and feel good.  It is an extreme deprivation diet whether you call it a fast or a diet.

Also?  Trust me, you will be doing enemas to get what pathetic remains there are in your gut.

#18 ~iMum~

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

I think part of being overweight can be attributed to the marketing hype we have all been bombarded with our entire lives. It's one thing to say eat less fat, buy light products, eat yoghurt etc...but the standard responses for what to replace 'bad' foods with is sorely lacking in taste, nutrition, ethics, and satiety. For example, modern yoghurt, a common diet staple, is ridiculously high in sugars. Many light products contain more additives and presevatives than their whole food counterpart. Which would you prefer? Being skinny and pumped full of toxins, or being healthy? Sure, whole foods contain more fat, but it is 'clean' fat, not a chemical cocktail which has an unknown effect on the body (Monsanto anyone?). Whole foods, generally, are more filling, too, which means you eat less.

I liken it to the smacking debate whereby a generation was told it was wrong to smack kids, but weren't informed about suitable alternative discipline techniques. With regards to food, we are told not to eat high fat etc, but are not told of suitable alternatives.

#19 wenchwitch

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I think what turns most people off is the tag " juicing" and " liquid diet". If you look at what he actually ate proportionally wise it was pretty balanced and clean which isn't a bad thing. It begs the question why liquidise it? The same diet could be written up without the use of the terms liquid and juice and most people would agree that it is nutritionally  sound.

It's funny how juice used to be seen as a " healthy" option now it is seen as unhealthy mainly because juices per se have the pulp or fibre removed. Eating 1250 calories a day if they are well balanced will lead to weight loss even if they are stuck in a blender or not. Personally I would prefer to eat real food although the nutrients and calorific value would be the same.

Eat clean and exercise is the way to go and although I think bleeding your food would make this harder I also don't think it is some evil diet that isn't balanced and nutrient rich. Would I follow it, hell no, not liquidised anyway Tounge1.gif

#20 ~iMum~

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I think the idea of juicing is to make it convenient. You know, for guys who might not want to eat a salad in front of their mates, people who might not make or have the time to sit down and eat a meal. I have never eaten breakfast and, at my age, will probably never get into the habit of sitting down and eating first thing in the morning. I will, however, chuck together a juice and drink it on my way out the door.

#21 Cat People

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 07/01/2013, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The CSIRO diet is a good one recommended by dieticians and best of all, it's sustainable and the whole family can eat that way.

The CSIRO diet is full of meat (funny it was funded by the Meat and Livestock association) and the OP is vegetarian.

OP, it sounds unsustainable.  Most diets are.  I know you probably don't want to hear it, but you have to forget about diets and just go with a whole lifestyle change permanently.  There is no magic cure.

#22 ubermum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 08/01/2013, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The CSIRO diet is full of meat (funny it was funded by the Meat and Livestock association) and the OP is vegetarian.

LOL oh well, she can sub in her tofu, tempeh and lentils where she sees fit.

#23 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Not sure about that but I have been following the Paleo diet since after christmas and have already noticed a reduction in pain and selling from RA, a little weight loss (not been long enough to see much), I can dream of remission.
I looked at all kinds of plant and juice diets but decided to do paleo as I think it's one I can sustain.

#24 Apageintime

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 07/01/2013, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Urgh. It's all crap. All these fad weight loss diets are. So is detoxing. Your body detoxes every day, it's called liver function.

Don't raise your children watching their mother flit from one fad diet to the next. My mum did that. It's crap and has gave my sister a terrible example to follow and a difficult relationship with food. We both work hard at following a healthy lifestyle both for our own health and so we don't pass on the family yo-yo legacy to our kids. Find out why you are fat. Is it comfort eating, boredom, anxiety or some other reason? Work on that with the help of a counsellor if you need to, while you follow a healthy and sustainable eating and exercise plan.

I agree with this.

Eat less, excercise more. You don't need an extreme unsustainable fad.

Also the 'detox' thing annoys me endlessly. Your liver does this magical detox thing, it doesn't even want you to buy its book!

#25 Clever Clogs

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

OP, if you are already vegetarian, consider the McDougall way of eating. There is heaps of info on Dr John McDougall's site and he has books too. He has dedicated his life to diet and nutrition, it is not a fad and it works.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.