Adding a ceiling fan to a room....costs?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mitty82

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

In our dining room it gets so hot as the sun is on that side in the arvo during summer. I want to get a celing fan with a light put in where a light already is. If that makes sense. Is it possible and if so does anyone know how much or rough costs?

#2 Rocky Raccoon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

We just installed ceiling fans (with lights) in all bedrooms. Costs - the fan, globes that fit the fan and you'll need an electrician to install them for the warranty to be valid. It was upwards of $100 per fan to install.

#3 mitty82

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

ok so not as bad as i thought. Will be getting an electrician to do it. Would you recommend buying a fan with alight ourselves or letting the electrician purchase it and put it in.

#4 Delillah1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

The cost of the fan itself can be quite cheap. Just make sure the one you buy is not too small for the room. If it's a largish room, it is worth getting longer blades for more  efficient cooling. You will need an electrician to install it so the cost depends on how much his/her bill is. I would ring them and ask what they charge. I can't remember what ours charged last year when we got two fans with lights installed but it was reasonable. Under $150, I think.

#5 Rocky Raccoon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

There are so many different styles of fans out there I'd go to a light shop and have a look and see what you like. We were really lucky and happened to get 2 for 1 on our fans. I think they were around $180 each. Once we bought them I booked in an electrician.

#6 Delillah1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

I think you're better off choosing, but it can be worth going to a lighting store and doing a bit of research on the light fitting part. Then check prices for the sort you want at Bunnings or other hardware shop. You can also ask the electrician what he recommends.

ETA I bought mine at Bunnings for about $70 each with the longer blades.

Edited by Delillah1, 07 January 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#7 mitty82

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Thanks Delillah, we have a few power points that the covers are cracked on and need fixing and one keeps throwing out the safety switch. So he will be here to do a few jobs, I just thought it would be worth getting it done while they were here. at the same time etc

#8 mitty82

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

NOt to fussy, want it to kind of match the one in the lounge room but it needs to have a light cos where i want it or need it to go is right where a massive light fitting is. Our dining area is small but open but needs cooling .......we do have air con but only use it on really really hot days.

#9 Delillah1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (mitty82 @ 07/01/2013, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Delillah, we have a few power points that the covers are cracked on and need fixing and one keeps throwing out the safety switch. So he will be here to do a few jobs, I just thought it would be worth getting it done while they were here. at the same time etc

Good idea.

#10 adnama

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Also depends if you get a fan with a switch on the wall or a controlled by a remote.

I can't help you with cost becasue my FIL is a licensed elec. and does our work

#11 wenchwitch

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

What we do is go to a lighting store and research and check out options we are happy with. We then tell our electrician and he gets what we need. He goes to his preferred supplier and we get them cheaper and he is happy because he maintains his good will with his supplier - win win original.gif

#12 wenchwitch

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Also if they come back with an exorbitant price per unit you will know original.gif

#13 RunDMC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

We just bought 2 reversible ceiling fans from bunnings for $69 each. Apparently the reverse action helps push the heat back down in winter.

#14 Corella

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

If the sun is on that window you could also reduce the costs of cooling by limiting how much heat gets in. Just locking the sun from the window - Coolaroo make pull down blinds that are translucent so not blocking the view entirely! - would cut how much heat gets in by 80%.

#15 sophiasmum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

I forget the cost of the fan but the electrician the light shop recommended charged $130 to install. This was 3 yrs ago.

#16 Chelara

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hunter pacific fans are really good, very quiet and effective, you have a choice of type of globe, I would have gone halogen if I'd had my time again though. We went ordinary energy savers and there's 2 of them, not so bad with 2 but they blow a lot and one doesn't provide a lot of light. Our electrician commented that they were very good quality fans though.

#17 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

We had a fan with a light installed in our lounge room wher an existing light was and it cost about $130 to install (including fixing a separate light switch that wasn't working in another room).

One thing to look out for is the type of globe the light uses, the one we bought uses tiny little hallogen globes (they are about 7cm long and are thin). These globes use more electricity than regular globes and produce more heat. We didn't realise it had this type of globe at the time.

#18 Apageintime

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

It cost me about $150 each fan, and about $150 each to install them, in Canberra.

#19 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

We just to some in both bedrooms and lounge room the fans itself cost $90 each they have lights in them and we got a friend who has done his electrician course to help us install them so that bit was free for us.

We got them from bunnining and yeah installed them ourselves they only took about 4 hrs all up for all the fans and to put the blades on.

#20 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Those of you that said you got longer blades, how long are they?

I have a ceiling fan in my kitchen but I'm not real happy with it, I don't know if the reason is we need 2 in the area, the size of the fan or the speed - there are only 3 speeds and the only one worth using at all is the fastest.

#21 Toodee

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

We just had ceiling fans installed in our bedrooms for $130 each. We bought the fans ourselves from ceilingfansdirect.com.au and the electrician commented on them being a really good brand (Hunter Pacific).

#22 Delillah1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Toodee, I think we got 1400 or 1500 mm.

#23 whale-woman

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

We had 4 fans installed for 500$. Don't buy the el cheapo 50$ Bunnings ones as they are crap quality. One of our was corroded and not working when we got it out if the box.

Edited by whale-woman, 10 January 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#24 casime

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I just put Fanaway fans in my bedrooms.  Absolutely love them.  I hate the look of ceiling fans, but love having them, so these are perfect.  Not cheap, about $300 each plus installation, but so so worth it.  I'm about to build, and will be putting them right through the new house.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.