? About evaporative cooling

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bluecupcakes

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

For those of you that have evaporative cooling, approximately what temp does your house sit at when it's around 38 degrees outside with low humidity?  Also does it leak a lot of water onto the roof (like a constant stream)?
I just think ours is not working effectively but trying to see what's normal before I go and complain to the real estate.  Thanks in advance for any replies original.gif

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Ours has a constant stream onto the roof - they are supposed to.

They also begin to lose effectiveness about 38-40 degrees. I don't have a thermometer but today was 40 degrees here and I had the fan on high and it felt like it was still about 30 degrees inside. It was pleasant enough but no great shakes.

Don't get me wrong, so much better than without it, but at 38 you will notice it start to be ineffective - the lower the humidity the longer it'll last.

The filters do need replacing at times, you might want to find out when it was last serviced.

#3 ChilliDog

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

I don't have evap myself but my neighbor does. On recent hot days (42deg) she said her place was sitting on 30+ deg. She came to my place to visit to get out of the heat.

I think I have heard they do dump their water ... not 100% sure tho.

#4 bluecupcakes

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

We have had a lot of trouble with it recently it is very old and the straw pads have rotted away.  The man stuffed insulation in it to cover the holes and it seemed to work well for about a month but today seems to be blowing hot air.
By water running off the roof I mean its like a tap running constantly not a drip.  A previous issue we had with it was that the water was running into our ceiling not off the roof but that has been fixed now so I had never noticed water running from the roof before!

#5 MahnaMahna

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Our house sits around 27/28 on 40+ days if we use the evap air con.

Also we had our air con serviced last year and the guy said that they should NOT be constantly leaking water as this means it is constantly refilling and using excessive water. He said it should refresh every few hours and after the service this is what it started doing.

It doesn't constantly run down our roof though, we have a pipe that feeds it straight to the garden beds.

#6 mollybot

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Ours is brand new - we got it four weeks ago (YAY !!).

It keeps the house reasonably cool on insane days like today (40 degrees, 100% humidity); it cycles its water, so it only dumps it every four hours or so; it has a pipe - it doesn't run over the roof.

Your Evap sounds clapped out I'm afraid ! If it has no pads, I have NO idea how its cooling....

#7 Chocolate Addict

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

They say (most a/c places) that evap is supposed to sit at around 10C lower than outside temp approx. You also need to leave some windows open. If there is condensation on the floor then you need to open more windows.

Ours was serviced this year as the motor was cactus and also the water pads needed replacing. Apparently the water pads are supposed to be replaced every 2 years. We also had birds nesting in it! lol

I much prefer, and wish we could afford refrigerated a/c but it is too expensive to convert.

#8 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I think ours has a stream onto the roof only because the pipe (and the gutters!) are wearing out. I was told it was supposed to be getting rid of the water it was though. shrug.gif

#9 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

They do dump water but it shouldn't be happening constantly, ours has a pipe that dumps the water, last year we started noticing that it was constantly dumping water, we had someone come out to take a look at it and some sort of valve needed replacing, it was a simple fix (though we had to wait a week for them to get the part, so they turned it off for us so we weren't wasting water while we waited).

#10 zande

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Ours works incredibly well in dry heat, even at 40 odd degrees, it won't even be working hard and it's incredibly cool inside. As soon as you add a smidge of humidity, it becomes almost unbearable, and today was just shocking, I think it was high 30s and really high humidity. The only way we get through days like today with the humidity and high temps is alternate between the pool and the house LOL.

If I ever build I will install reverse cycle, Perth has become so much more humid now  mellow.gif  although maybe a mix of the two might work. I love evap for the open doors & windows and most nights it's pretty good, maybe I'll put in a large split system in the main area for the really humid days.

Edited by zande, 08 January 2013 - 12:42 AM.

#11 yummymummycakes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

I have been in my rental property for 3 years now. We had them check it on the first year as it barely does a thing, and we were told it is normal for them to not work effectively in the high 30's.

Q though, the ducts are really dusty and we can barely feel any air blowing through. Do we need  to get someone in to clean them? and who's expense should it be?

#12 kpingitquiet

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

On our recent 45C day, the hottest room in the house got to about 29. The main living area was more like 25 or 26. We have ducts in 5 rooms. As long as you start it up early, before the house gets really warm, it manages pretty well. But I still miss my good old fashioned US refrig. a/c biggrin.gif

As for water, ours goes down a gutter pipe into the backyard. The ground doesn't get swampy from it, or anything, and it keeps our back lawn green all summer biggrin.gif

They definitely need to be cleaned, have filters replaced, etc. Ours didn't work for crap til we replaced the filter. Also, contrary to every bit of my upbringing, you need open windows for it to work properly. We keep the sliding kitchen door open and crack a few other windows a fair way.

#13 Charli73

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

On a hot day our home will sit around 26 degrees inside.. I have to put it on early though or once it gets too hot it can't cool it down..

It shouldn't run water continuously only dumping water once an hour or so depending on the heat..

#14 BadCat

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

It was 40ish here the other day and 24 in our house.  I love our evap.

I do think it depends on a bunch of other things though.  To keep our house cool when it's stupidly hot we:

- Use the cooling unit to suck in cool air overnight (or leave the cooling on if it's hot) so we start out with a fairly cold house some mornings
- Have external blinds to cut some of the radiant heat
- Have several deciduous trees providing shade to the house
- Have a lot of plants in the garden rather than lots of paving, it can cool the area by several degrees
- Have cavity wall insulation
- Close internal blinds when the sun hits those windows

#15 elizabethany

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Ours is 24-26 in 40C heat.  As PP's have mentioned, turn it on first thing, before it gets too hot in the house, and have a window or door in every room open a crack.  I have lived in my house for 4 years, and I have only noticed it dumping water a couple of times, so it definitly shouldn't be a constant thing.

#16 Bluenomi

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

When it got to 39 on the weekend it was 27 in our hottest room (which faces directly west with a huge window) with our evap on. The trick is to get it running early before it gets too hot.

We get ours serviced every year or so, it only costs about $120 and they clean the filters and what not.

#17 Mumma3

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

It should definitely not be running water all the time. This indicates it needs a service and probably the dump valve replaced.
You should get around 10-12c drop in temperature, so don't expect it to be "cold" in the house - I much prefer evap for this reason as I hate feeling like I'm in the fridge!!

You must have a window or door open in each room that there is an outlet. Remember that the cooler is pumping a huge volume of moist cool air into the room. If it is closed then you will just get condensation build up and it will feel sticky. A good guide is to put a tissue against the fly screen. If the tissue sticks to the screen then you need to open more windows. If it gently falls to the floor, then your ventilation is perfect:)

I also like evap with kids because they usually leave the door open anyway!!!!

#18 Lyn29

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#19 bluecupcakes

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Thanks everyone, I had the repair man out today and the running water constantly was being caused by a blocked gutter causing the water to pool and then eventually running out causing me to think it was running water when the evap was turned off!  Gutter unblocked now so should be all good from now on.
It does cool the house to around 10 degrees below the outside temp so must be working ok original.gif

#20 Kalota

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hi OP, it sounds like yours is working fine now - 10 degrees below the outside temp is about what ours does when it is working effectively (low humidity). Ours doesn't drain onto the roof either so glad you got that sorted out, too! original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.