Do men/ women REALLY look...
for wedding rings?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Fr0g

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I never notice who wears a wedding band or engagement ring. I'm a married woman and can't actually remember if I ever did before I was married myself.

I took off my wedding ring late last week as it needs a desperate resize (in that my finger is permanently squashed from years of squashing!).

Since then, I have had two separate incidents in public, where I've had men "strike up" conversation with me which has left me feeling slightly 'chatted-up', IYKWIM? Im not a hideous ogre, but I haven't had this happen since last century. Literally, lol.

It's struck me that I might seem single, and available, all of a sudden. Has anyone had similar experiences?

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Well I've never been chatted up, so I would like to think it's the presence of my rings rather than the fact I am completely unchatupable ...

#3 MsDemeanor

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

I do at men. I couldn't care less about women -  but I am single, and for what it is worth, all the good looking men wear them LOL

#4 Excentrique Feral

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (howdo @ 08/01/2013, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I've never been chatted up, so I would like to think it's the presence of my rings rather than the fact I am completely unchatupable ...

Same here. I'd like to get chatted up every now and again, just for the confidence boost.  tongue.gif

#5 Fr0g

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I'm sure your completely chatupable, Howdo! I did feel like a deer in headlights, and awkwardly try to move away.

And they weren't even hotties.

ssorry.gif

#6 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Could explain why, despite the fact that I am a hot chicky-babe, I don't get chatted up anymore.

That, and I don't leave the house.... ninja.gif

#7 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I truly can't tell the difference between 'chatting up' and being friendly.

Unless someone was a blatant "How about it?" kind of person - and I haven't had that kind of conversation with anyone since the 1990s!

I don't wear a ring and it does get commented on - not because I'm married, I'm not - but because I don't wear any jewellery and I'm a jeweller!

#8 SophieBear

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think many people do for different reasons.

My hands are so swollen from this heat that I've removed all of my jewellery, including my wedding band and engagement ring. I have had customers say to me, 'oh well now you're pregnant you can expect an engagement ring'.  rolleyes.gif

Personally, I look. Only when I'm near them and I don't consciously go out of my way to look. Flashy jewellery catches my eyes and I'm getting ideas for the eternity ring/push present I want (but probably won't get wink.gif)

Edited to clarify

Edited by SophieBeagle, 08 January 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#9 anniemandbub

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Back when I was single, I used to wear rings on my right ring finger.  (Still do actually.)  It would seem guys do look, but don't know which hand is the married one, because I only ever got chatted up when I wasn't wearing any rings!  I had one guy tell me he got confused, so would play it safe and treat either hand as 'taken'.

#10 PixieVee

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

When I was single I always checked for a wedding band.

#11 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Before I met my husband, I would definately look to see if a guy I was checking out had a ring or not. If he had a ring, I would stop checking him out.

#12 Mose

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

In my experience... Yes!

I had to stop wearing my ring due to an allergy to a particular metal. Decided not to replace it,  as the ring is a symbol of the commitment we made on the day. This lasted until a client expressed an interest in me.  Fortunately he expressed it to a colleague who set him straight,  but in his conversation with her the absence of a ring was apparently discussed.

I was hugely surprised... genuinely didn't think anyone would notice.  Have asked a number of people since... turns out some look and some don't.   Male/female,  single/not didn't seem to be deciding factors as to whether they look or not.

DH was quick to insist on a new ring in a different metal after that!

#13 dreamingofcats

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I dont wear my wedding/engagement ring all the time and I especially dont wear it to work. I have people ask why I dont and does it offend DH.. Umm no because we both know we are married and its not like I take it off so I can put out an open invitation.

As for do I look, I look at womens more because I like to look at styles.

#14 Fr0g

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I've been with my husband for 20 years - so the last time I was checking out guys to aherm, pick up, I was a teenager looking for teenage boys - so I think that's contributed to my cluelessness.

Seems my instinct may be right.

Better be off to get my ring to the jeweller before I'm swept away by some exotic prince.

#15 countrychic29

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

i notice other womens weddings bands/rings ... but rarely pay attention to guys, most i know dont wear a ring even if married.

I find that 'if' i get chatted up ... rare now that i'm knocked up wink.gif that guys never notice the rings - i will generally point to rings and say sorry married ... 9 times out of 10 the guys keep trying even had one guy whisper in my ear im happily married too .. rightio  rolleyes.gif

#16 mumofenergiserbuny

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

when i was single iw ould look for a ring or a tan line, because if they have a tan line they are either newly seperated or married and not wearing their ring.... My DP and i are currently waiting on our custom made "promise" rings to be finished so that we can wear them and people will stop hitting on DP (hopefully)

#17 Kalota

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm not married yet, but I do wear an engagement ring, but I still get chatted up by guys when I go out! sad.gif So obviously not many guys take notice!

Most of my friends are still single, so I often go out with them to have a few drinks/dinner/dance/etc. Almost every time I've had a guy try to chat me up and I've literally had to wave my ring in front of their face and be really obvious, "Sorry I'm ENGAGED."

Edited by Kalota, 08 January 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#18 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I do look, but only because I am single  happy.gif .

#19 vanessa71

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I went out to dinner with a guy that was older than me, I wasn't quite sure how much older, but I was 24 at the time and he looked to be late 30s. I liked him, I checked for a wedding ring, he wasn't wearing one. It was only some time after I found out that he was actually married.

If he had been wearing a ring, I probably would never have got involved in the first place.

#20 sophiasmum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Yes I must say I take note of the presence or absence of rings.

#21 DamiansMama

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I never wore my wedding ring when I was married (now single). Admittedly if I find a guy attractive, I do check for a ring (quite normal I think).

#22 Oriental lily

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hmmm. My DH never wears his band.

For safety reasons and he is not a fan of jewellery full stop.

Never knew so many women would presume he was available!

Must admit its something I have never checked for.

Edited by Oriental lily, 08 January 2013 - 12:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.