Cleaning shower screen
Hard water stains....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MissButtercup

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hi all,
Our shower is covered in hard water stains that I've spent the last 3 days trying to clean with no success. So far I've tried baking soda and vinegar, bam bathroom cleaner, scalex and now I've just tried CLR and it still doesn't look any better!!!! Grrr frustrating!
So any advise or tips on get this shower clean?

#2 causeway

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

I had this problem too and googled it and got a youtube video.

I ended up using JIF and a scourer. It worked.

#3 asdf89

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Green palmolive dish liquid.

Squirt it all over, give it a bit of a scrub and then rinse off. Worked wonders for me.

#4 Willomum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Try cut and polish that you would use on a car and and metal wool. We have really bad calcium here and this works very well.

#5 MissButtercup

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Just tried the jif - no good. sad.gif Will have to pop out and grap some Palmolive and cut and polish..

Worst part is we're renting while out house is being built so I am worried about our bond and having to replace the screen if I can't get it clean sad.gif.

#6 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

If it's hard water stains, not mould and soap scum, they can't hold you responsible for it.

Try using a scourer.

#7 julzely

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

I would also give gumption a go.  I gets just about everything off for me.

Also in terms of stopping the build up in the future I would invest in a squeegee and just wipe off the shower after use.  It helps the glass stay clean and means that there is no build up.

#8 MissButtercup

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I hope so CSM! I've tried scrubbing but no luck sad.gif. It can't possibly be soap scum with all the cleaning I've been doing. lol

ETA - yes I've been using a scourer!

Edited by MissButtercup, 08 January 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#9 MissButtercup

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Is Gumption like Enjoy marble paste as I've tried that too..

#10 Chelara

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Magic eraser?

#11 Ermy

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I used steel wool and dishwashing liquid.

It worked well.

#12 Holidayromp

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Those Ajax shower wipes are not too bad....I also quite like the Ajax baking soda cleanser too.  There is a term for what you have - our cleaner gave it...it is usually a build up within the glass and there is nothing you can do about it.

#13 Frankly my Dear

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Chelara @ 08/01/2013, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Magic eraser?

That's exactly what I was going to say! Chux magic eraser works minor miracles!! I have had far better results from this than using any chemcial spray or even gumption.

#14 Bluenomi

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (julzely @ 08/01/2013, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would also give gumption a go.  I gets just about everything off for me.

Also in terms of stopping the build up in the future I would invest in a squeegee and just wipe off the shower after use.  It helps the glass stay clean and means that there is no build up.

Be careful with gumpion and scourers. They can scratch the glass which just gives soap scum and everything tiny places to cling onto and it's harder the next time.

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

If it is a glass screen try diluted metholated spirits or even windex - anything used to clean a normal window should be fine.

#16 Justaduck

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Magic eraser was magic for us when we were doing a bond clean Tounge1.gif

#17 Charri36

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

There is such a thing called glass cancer, I think this maybe what your facing.

Glass is porous, cleaning products damage glass, so does calcium in water.

I think you will find that the glass is damaged, don't dispair, a way to tell in put a bit of oil on a cloth, paper towel, tissue or whatever and put it on the glass, use a lot if need be in a small area. If the glass clears up in that spot, you know it's glass cancer. It just means there are little holes in the glasses surface, not amount of cleaning will fix it - apparently if you use almond oil, this is a temporary solution. It won't fix it, but if you do it before you move, it will look good, and you won't have to replace it.

Google glass cancer. Hope this helps

#18 ~chiquita~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (MissButtercup @ 08/01/2013, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope so CSM! I've tried scrubbing but no luck . It can't possibly be soap scum with all the cleaning I've been doing. lol
ETA - yes I've been using a scourer!.

How old do you think the shower screens are?
If they are around 7 years old it's probably cancer in the glass. If you've done all that scrubbing and it's not coming off, it's not going to. Run your fingers along the glass, if you can't feel anything it means it's clean and therefore not your problem. original.gif

#19 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

With CLR   - soak a cloth/chux in it and stick it to the glass and leave it for an hour or so and clean again.  Also works with vinegar.

#20 MissButtercup

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Yep the glass feels clean when I run my fingers over it but when I tried rubbing a little olive oil on it it feel like I was rubbing off some residue. The glass does look better (not perfect but better) in this spot... looks like we might have cancer..

#21 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Get your hands on some NORWEX Descaler and the cleaning paste....  the descaler especially.
And if you can afford it, get yourself an enviro cloth, kitchen cloth and the window cloth.
You can clean the whole house with these items, using purely water. No chemicals required.

I can email pics of a shower that was disgusting and then after photos using the descaler. It works amazingly great original.gif

#22 SeaPrincess

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (Bluenomi @ 08/01/2013, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be careful with gumpion and scourers. They can scratch the glass which just gives soap scum and everything tiny places to cling onto and it's harder the next time.

I was going to say this too.  The Enjo marble paste isn't for glass either.

As a pp said, car polish works a treat.

#23 Bluemakede

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

My dad gets a acid wash and sealer used for pool fences to clean the shower glass once a year (we do clean it often, just this one is for a really getting everything off). It's expensive (about $60 from bunnings) but will bring up even older glass nicely. You wash down with the acid to clean it, then the sealer seals the glass stopping it from going yuck so fast.

We also squeegee the glass as soon as we finish showering.

Edited by Bluemakede, 09 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#24 lexington

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I was convinced that my shower screen had glass cancer.
Boom tish my cleaner got it absolutely clear. She told me that I needed cleaning cloth like microfibre ones. Since she cleaned it I was able to maintain it all. The problem is now she has stopped working in this industry. Feeling so sad now.

#25 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I have just applied 'endurosheild' to my shower.  It's a water-repellent meaning the soap scums don't attach to the glass or tiles (a different product for each surface).  I have no idea how effective it is as I've only just done it.  If you are going to use it for your new place can I suggest you do so before you use the shower, it was horrid to do a thorough clean before putting the tuff n.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.